How much shite is too much shite? French Chod and Chod in France

Saabnut

Now stored safely until I make some room

IMG_1041.JPG.f77eafe6b2f1e271332c76bb683e0c4f.JPG

That is it parked on the back of my friends 1978 Ford A series recovery unit

That's wonderful. Love the haze in the pics as well.

Is the red trim on the wings correct? I think it slightly spoils the sleekness of the lines.

My goodness, that's truly brilliant.  Top buyage sir!

Of course I approve, both because Saab and also become I'm all for there being more two stroke madness on here!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Freewheel hubs?

Sort of. Freewheel gearbox, it is part of the gearbox.

• Like 3

That's a nice car and I can't remember seeing many older Saabs in black, is it a rare color?

21 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

That's a nice car and I can't remember seeing many older Saabs in black, is it a rare color?

Apparently so, although the other 93b I know in the UK is also black! The last Swedish owner (in 2021) owned it for 31 years and worked at the Saab plant in Trollhatten as a detailer. The car was resprayed at the plant and took 7 litres of paint. None of which will have contributed to the demise of Saab at all :-) . It has not been on the road since import and I believe was not used for many years in Sweden either so I need to do a recommision.

I assume they started selling LHD cars a good few years before so people weren’t screwed after the switch? 

Stunning car! 

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Not Over for the Rover - Yet!

All home market Saabs (production started post WW2) were LHD. I think it was 1968 they switched sides, but most cars sold in Sweden were LHD, probably to assist in neighbouring countries, although I have heard it said that LHD was popular outside of cities where there was often unmetalled roars and steep drop offs with no barrier as it made moving close to the edge easier.

Today was the Alford autojumble and a few local shiters had arranged to meet up there but unfortunately I had visitors so could not make it. My visitors left after lunch so decided to see if Delilah (named by a friends grand daughter due to the registration) would start as the last time it was run was September last year. Took my jump pack out but surprisingly did not need it as oce fuel was pulled through she started well. A quick pressure wash and off for a run. Filled up with fresh fuel and enjoyed the sun. I had been planning on selling this one as I have had it close to 15 years when I discovered a small* amount of rot which @GingerNuttz made a fantastic job of fixing. Now it is solid and running well, thoughts again turned to possibly selling, so I stopped to take a few photos.

IMG_1058.JPG.45e7819cfc8127f65cb61d81ffb7ab39.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG.6ed311338216e996fed0d1d3dabf12d7.JPG

IMG_1056.JPG.d7c07b45ef686b5a2e7ca84a96867a76.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG.10ba228341800b7fff8cf9374fff6d28.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG.0d429a694a9369328db59c9201ffacef.JPG

Carried on for about 50 miles then headed home. Once on my track it started to play up, lacking power, back firing and cutting out. I think the points have closed up but as I got home it started raining. All thoughts of selling are again on the back burner until I investigate further.

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Saab Back Box Bodgery

A day of small jobs that were generally fun, but it is doubtful how much progress was made. First was a check of the P5b which started straight away and ran fine, which makes fault finding difficult :-) That was as far as I went so will take it for a decent run when I have more time.

Next, the exhaust flexi pipe I ordered to replace the back box of my Saab 9-3 arrived the other day so on to that. Tidied up the end of the pipe where it had pulled out of the box,  The rest of the box went all Bonnie Tyler (Lost in France) and was last seen clearing the hard shoulder and heading into a ditch. Replacement boxes are expensive and the noise level difference is marginal without it, so I have decided to replace the box with some flexi pipe. Measured the OD of the pipe at 55mm and I had 60mm flexi in stock, but it would never have sealed with that. Ordered some 55mm ID pipe off the bay of evil, thinking a good clean of the old pipe would leave a nice interference fit. Sadly, I had forgotten the rule of chinesium and after a lot of effort resulted in a 2 or 3mm overlap, I measured the flexi with my verniers and it is 53.8mm. Gave up with that and ordered some 57mm id flexi that should be here mid week.

At this point I gave up and went to see my friend Duncan and as the sun was out took the floppytop Saab c900 and on the way back picked up fish and chips. Life is good.

IMG_11021.JPG.590dc22fde1ba31c8923035c16e746c2.JPG

How did I miss the 93 update!!! 

Phwoar!!! 

That’s a beauty! 

I was at the Brooklands evening car meet last week and a nice 93 turned up, sounded bloody fantastic.

5 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

I was at the Brooklands evening car meet last week and a nice 93 turned up, sounded bloody fantastic.

That is the previous owner of mine! I was offered the other one but it was more than 2x what I paid for mine and it was just too good for me!

• Like 1

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Double Jeopardy - One In One Out - Collection with a difference!

Despite the last car I bought (the 93b) not actually making it all the way home yet and it being many* weeks since I bought anything, it is time for another collection run! It is of course local* being a mere 420+ miles away and to ensure maximum stress, it has not been used for about 2 years although has recently been driven around the block.

So, how to fetch it? Bus? Not a chance. Train? Strikes, bank holiday weekend. Hire car? Nearest one this end is 25 miles away and expensive. Obviously there is only one answer. The Xantia of many shiters is still sat in the naughty corner, with broken suspension spheres, snapped wiper mechanism and many and various electrical faults. Not surprisingly there has been zero interest despite offering it at less than scrap price. As scrap is worth more in the Sheffield area due to the steel industry there, and my friend near there being about 40 miles from the acquired vehicle, I have decided to drive the Xantia down (longest trip in my ownership about 30 miles) then scrap it when down there. This will also give me a spare battery for the return journey just in case.

In preparation, I have treated the screen to a coat of Rainex. To avoid the bank holiday traffic I will leave around 4am. WCPGW?

Must save a fortune on train fares too. You should keep more scrap fodder one way trip cars handy... 

Chod speed! 

• Haha 1