The V6 engine. Is there such a thing as a good one?

warren t claim

The PSA and Renault V6 is reliable, you can DIY the cambelt if you're a mentalist.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad - http://www.406coupeclub.org/Files/HowToGuides/Cam%20Belt%20-%20Change%20on%20an%20ES9J4S%20V6%20engine.pdf

FTFY. Everyone forgets about poor Renault in that partnership.

The later Nissan/Renault 3.5 V6 is a tough engine too. As used in the 350Z/Vel Satis/Espace/others.

I have no idea, I'm sure it's possible but knowing Ford they'll have made it just different enough that nothing will fit without the support of an entire engineering workshop.

The BOA, for example, while essentially a 2.9 cologne is a different block to the 12v.

Anyway I think it's a good engine, apart from the 9ft long unobtanium timing chain that has a habit of stretching and falling off. The BOB has a better design in this area.

FTFY. Everyone forgets about poor Renault in that partnership.

Was it a co-operation fo real or did Renault just buy the motor in from PSA?

The design seems a bit more PSA than Renault to me.

Are they cheap to repair?

Yes. They don't go wrong. Used engine, 200 quid, they're worthless because they don't go wrong.

Mitsubishi petrol V6 in the Sigma etc. Fantastic engine. Even better is the 2 valve version used in the Shotgun/Pajero/Spanishforwanker and the Sigma Estate. the latter is like a Japanese Ford V6 only properly designed and manufactured.

Henry Ford knew that you only need 4 cylinders.

He said "I've got no use for a motor that has more spark plugs than a cow has teats"

There you have it, scientific proof that theres no such thing as a good V6.

• Like 7

Lexus V6 seems generally reliable (touch wood) holden commodore 3.8 V6 is well regarded too.

The Holden 3.8 V6 was a tweaked version of the Buick V6, The only home brew Holden engines were Straight 6's and V8s.

Edit: there was the Holden "Starfire" 4 cylinder, but it was just a straight 6 with 2 cylinders cut off!

• Like 2

Yep the CHEVY (GMC) 4.3 lt V6 is a good strong lump....basically a Chevy 350ci (5.7lt) V8 with the 7th and 8th pots deleted...the V8 firing order...18436572   V6 F/O 165432

GMC made the 100 MILLIONTH V8 350 engine back in Nov 2011 for vehicles across their model range  +the V6 Vortec still in production from 1986. (155hp)

Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Vans all use this engine.Most the ancilleries + engine internals of the V8 + V6 are interchangable (apart from the heads of course) 8)

Hope this helps 

The Holden 3.8 V6 was a tweaked version of the Buick V6, The only home brew Holden engines were Straight 6's and V8s.

Edit: there was the Holden "Starfire" 4 cylinder, but it was just a straight 6 with 2 cylinders cut off!

THIS

Yep the CHEVY (GMC) 4.3 lt V6 is a good strong lump....basically a Chevy 350ci (5.7lt) V8 with the 7th and 8th pots deleted...the V8 firing order...18436572 V6 F/O 165432

GMC made the 100 MILLIONTH V8 350 engine back in Nov 2011 for vehicles across their model range +the V6 Vortec still in production from 1986. (155hp)

Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Vans all use this engine.Most the ancilleries + engine internals of the V8 + V6 are interchangable (apart from the heads of course) 8)

Hope this helps

I read recently the 3.4 and 3.8 V6 in 4th gen Camaros, Firebirds etc is all iron i.e: block and heads. I don't know what they weigh but I do know an Opel Manta all-iron, 4 cylinder CIH is bloody heavy and that's about 2/3rds the engine!

Yes. They don't go wrong. Used engine, 200 quid, they're worthless because they don't go wrong.

Actually the early ones do go wrong but as RBJ says just replace with a later secondhand one which won't go wrong

Mr_Bo11ox, on 03 Aug 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:Mr_Bo11ox, on 03 Aug 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

Maserati Biturbo engine

7b3d719a1fbc8fcc90de21ee5b340097.jpg

Even without having rebuilt one, zebras know those things are fragile & have an insane valve actuation system.

I'd vote for the GM 54° V6 engine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_54%C2%B0_V6_engine), I've known these engines to rack up impressive mileages without requiring any repairs.

Rusty Sills, on 03 Aug 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Don't they have a heat exchanger or something in the bank of the vee that leaks and kills the engine?

Is it the oil cooler? I've heard they can fail but haven't had it happen on any of the 3 or 4 Vaux V6 engines I've had.

But yeah, that does remind me - the thermostat lives deep in the recess between the cylinder heads in the GM 54° V6, and it's a total bastard to get to... in fact, it can even be a twat to remove with the engine out of the car.

The Mercedes OM421 was always a decent, reliable engine. Although it did have a reputation for spontaneously combusting when dumped in the back of the Dennis Falcon V.

post-20075-0-04125100-1501767255_thumb.jpg

I currently have a Kia magentis 2.5, Saab 900 2.5, Daughter has a Lexus RX300 3 litre, all V6, all gone round the clock easily, and no bother from the engines :) - the Lexus weighs a ton and is poor on the juice the other two are great, 30 mpg easily knocking around regular driving, high 30's on a run :)

I'd like to know who makes a bad V6??

I currently have a Kia magentis 2.5, Saab 900 2.5, Daughter has a Lexus RX300 3 litre, all V6, all gone round the clock easily, and no bother from the engines :) - the Lexus weighs a ton and is poor on the juice the other two are great, 30 mpg easily knocking around regular driving, high 30's on a run :)

I'd like to know who makes a bad V6??

Isuzu 3.0 v6 TDi as frequently blown up in the Vel Satis, Saab 9-5, Vectra C.

Audi 3.0 v6 TDi cam chains and tensioners aren't that great either - usually one of the 4 (!) chains/tensioners has problems eventually.

Isuzu 3.0 v6 TDi as frequently blown up in the Vel Satis, Saab 9-5, Vectra C.

Audi 3.0 v6 TDi cam chains and tensioners aren't that great either - usually one of the 4 (!) chains/tensioners has problems eventually.

Ah, good to know, i am trying to lose dizzlers from my fleet, at least the newer kind which have been over complicated by emissions nonsense, I can't see much further than the Lexus engine for absolute reliabilty and value for money, although the Magentis is a beast when opened up, and the Saab is rather sporting in it's nature too :)

• Like 1