Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

Thanks anyway.

I drive a ZX Volcane through a floor once and locked it up. While still in the flood I removed the glow plugs and disconnected the air filter then turned it over til all the water came out. It drove home but vibrated. The next day it started ok, drive a few miles then threw a rod.

When cambelts break on these it usually breaks the camshaft or it bends the valves or both.

So, no idea what has happened here!

I can't help thinking you've got a bent conrod or crankshaft if you can't get a full revolution.

If it turns after you've drained the sump it might be saveable, XUDs are still relatively common, I'm sure a decent donor unit can be sourced if it's totally borked.

I can change an engine easily enough but I won't bother if it's knackered. The point to this car is its original engine. At 282,000 miles this is the first time it's been apart. The rest of the car is quite tatty. Without the original engine it just wouldn't be the same.

Is it a 1998? There was a big batch of XUD engines that had a tendency to chuck a rod through the block. Is it possibly this has merely bent one?

This cars on an L plate, pretty sure it's not one of that batch when it's 280K plus and the engine and pump have never been apart.

As Cats says those pistons seem to be very much in the right position so very odd that the crank doesn't turn  :-(

Bloody nora. What was the cause of death- did you drive it into a flood or something?

Oh, and when's the rebuild? ;)

Yes, came round a bend to find a large flood caused by a blocked drain. I was in quite deep before I could think about it so made the decision to carry on slowly, make a decent bow wave and get out of there but it just kept getting deeper!

Rebuild starts this week. I have an old ZX Volcane engine that will donate its rods. It had a failed head gasket but the owner kept in running it til the oil looked like melted Caramac bars.

Yes, came round a bend to find a large flood caused by a blocked drain. I was in quite deep before I could think about it so made the decision to carry on slowly, make a decent bow wave and get out of there but it just kept getting deeper!

Rebuild starts this week. I have an old ZX Volcane engine that will donate its rods. It had a failed head gasket but the owner kept in running it til the oil looked like melted Caramac bars.

The 'like' was for the determination to get it up and running again, not for the bow wave engine munching bastard.

Excellent news.

My worry would be because I don't have any useful experience but I can imagine the massive forces involved in squashing a connecting rod into a wiggle. All that torque from stopping the flywheel in a few degrees must have put one hell of a twist into the crankshaft!

I don't know how to check a crank apart from getting some precision measurements made.

Which is probably easy for an engine machinist to do and impossible for anyone else.

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

As Loserone says, this has been updated on The Dark WoB. He has recently managed to resurrect it which makes me happier than you can imagine as it was my mums car.

I don't intend on joining, but am so glad to hear he's brought it back from the brink. 

Initially he'd got the timing a tooth out so stepped away from it for a couple more months. Went back to it afresh and the little fucker started straight up :-) Hard to believe but that engine ran like a sewing machine with all those miles on it and had never been apart pump included before the mishap* with the water. That car has had such a history since I bought it all those years ago for £950, it'd be fantastic to see it clear the 300K mark!