The Mighty Sherpa (LDV etc)

Cavcraft

I've only read the first few pages of this, but will revisit it later.

I have always loved LDVs, especially the older Sherpa type ones.  Looking back I really wish I had bought a little Pilot as my first vehicle!

I went self-employed a few years back, mainly gardening services, I used my car briefly, but needed a van.  I REALLY wanted an LDV, but considering the trade I felt a more modern and 'neater' vehicle would be better, hence the Vauxhall Movano.

However, I am intending to do some work around my yard soon, and need a tipper.  So soon I will hopefully be in the market for an LDV tipper!

A former neighbour of mine used to virtually live in his drop side 200. Milk deliveries in the morning, gardening and house/garage clearances the rest of the time. Don't recall it ever letting him down either, which was impressive, cos he's the least mechanically sympathetic person I know!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've recently been working with an ex police sergeant and amongst quite a few law enforcement anecdotes he told me that back in the 90's they used to have a fleet of LDV 400 V8 response vans.

Two vans full of coppers were dispatched to a large brawl in a town centre. The first van on the scene came screeching to a halt and a copper threw open the side door open only for it to come off it's runners and crash on to the road just in time for the second van to run it over.

The second or third copper out of the now door-less Sherpa decided now was a good time to shout "WE'RE HERE!" in a camp voice.

Amazingly this had the effect of ending the fight as everybody was laughing at the coppers, even the coppers themselves.

I've recently been working with an ex police sergeant and amongst quite a few law enforcement anecdotes he told me that back in the 90's they used to have a fleet of LDV 400 V8 response vans.

Two vans full of coppers were dispatched to a large brawl in a town centre. The first van on the scene came screeching to a halt and a copper threw open the side door open only for it to come off it's runners and crash on to the road just in time for the second van to run it over.

The second or third copper out of the now door-less Sherpa decided now was a good time to shout "WE'RE HERE!" in a camp voice.

Amazingly this had the effect of ending the fight as everybody was laughing at the coppers, even the coppers themselves.

Ah, the friendly 90's. How I miss them.

Quality tale for sure!

Two vans full of coppers were dispatched to a large brawl in a town centre. The first van on the scene came screeching to a halt and a copper threw open the side door open only for it to come off it's runners and crash on to the road just in time for the second van to run it over.

The second or third copper out of the now door-less Sherpa decided now was a good time to shout "WE'RE HERE!" in a camp voice.

Amazingly this had the effect of ending the fight as everybody was laughing at the coppers, even the coppers themselves.

Entirely believable. The sliding door could jump the stops quite easily. Ours did once or twice (one time on the move), but the door didn't actually come off thankfully.

Thats rare; SWB, single rear wheel and a high roof.  

The unusual and rarely ticked bubblewrap/marshmallow/feathers/big hats/pre-inflated balloon delivery option. I'm torn between wanting a freight-rover era one for CF SPRINGS YO! one-upmanship and a proper sherpa with leftover J4 and MGB parts.

Another Sherpa anecdote emerged from my ex Police Officer colleague last night.

One provincial town had a big problem with banned drivers operating with impunity. Mainly that was because they knew the cars that plod would turn up in. Even the unmarked vehicles could be spotted a mile off.

It was decided to mount an intelligence gathering operation aimed at the most prolific offenders on one estate in the town.

Phone calls were made to British Gas who loaned a Sherpa Van  and two branded donkey jackets for use of the Police - no questions asked.

Two officers were tasked with parking up on the estate and just looking like a couple of British Gas blokes skiving off,  whilst noting the movement of vehicles and individuals known to the Police. Specific instructions were given that on no  account were they to give chase or to do any Police work other than their stated orders.

All went well for the first couple of hours with vehicles of interest being noted and called in via radio.

Then, perhaps their number one banned driver target was seen screaming through the estate in a stolen hot hatch. The officers could not hold themselves back. fired up the Sherpa and set off in hot (warm) pursuit.

The suspect must have been mildly puzzled to be chased by British Gas, but wasn't about to surrender to a couple of Gas Fitters. A couple of highly dangerous circuits of the estate ensued and the officers in the Sherpa had the chance to end it by ramming the hatch and spinning it into a ditch. This was done but the poor old Sherpa didn't come out of it too well.

Funnily enough British Gas were somewhat reluctant to lend vehicles to that particular Police division afterwards.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't remember if I've mentioned this beastie yet. I've just replaced the exploded engine with a pug 405 item with Bosch pump. Nearly ready for MOT, just a little welding! I could do with a pair of front doors, a pair of rear doors, sliding side door and a bonnet in PO red if anyone knows to any cheap mint ones!

post-388-0-40592700-1496219825_thumb.jpg

Pretty certain the SNP LDV belongs to Chris Law in Dundee. It sat outside his office in a fairly dodgy bit of town after GE15. His Saltire painted Bedford Green Goddess is tucked up in another part of the town after its' marathon journey during the indyref.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this beastie yet. I've just replaced the exploded engine with a pug 405 item with Bosch pump. Nearly ready for MOT, just a little welding! I could do with a pair of front doors, a pair of rear doors, sliding side door and a bonnet in PO red if anyone knows to any cheap mint ones!

Yay! Another Y TDA reg. As mentioned somewhere else in this thread Y833 TDA was my regular van for a couple of years. I like the fact you want every single door in mint postie red. You've more chances of winning the lottery.