The Perfect Motorway Muncher

BorniteIdentity

It's easy to get into paranoia where diesels are concerned. Look on Autotrader how many have covered 200k. A lot of the problems with diesels stem from bad maintenance or ignorance of how they work.

I'm not going to say they are paragons of reliability, but a lot of trouble can be avoided by frequent replacement of fuel filters, periodic cleaning out of the EGR etc. Still though be mindful that a serious problem means throw it away. But that's why you don't spend too much...

I'd definitely avoid looking at older tech diesels now, old 405s, Sierra diesels, Cavaliers etc. Any that are left will be in their last legs. Something like a Sierra 2.3 doing 150 miles a day WILL leave you on the hard shoulder within a week or two. I guarantee you that.

Much as I don't tend to like Vauxhalls I have to admit that over the years I've had a fair few Vectra Cs as hire cars and been impressed with how well they behave on a motorway. Base spec seems to be comfiest, with harsh sporty-esque embellishments like big wheels and rock hard seats being absent. Even povvo-spec hire cars had decent heaters, stereos, and halfway decent amounts of power.

As comfy as the equivalent Laguna and, well, probably just BETTER as an ownership proposition.

I always preferred Mondeos overall, but I must admit that for motorway miles the Vectra was the better car.

Maybe one VXL that's not shit M8?

There was that excellent beige Nissan laurel for sale for ages on RR. 2.8 na diesel auto, beige with velour interior.

i think the poor chap selling it eventually lost the will to live

HEQB7GS.jpg

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/187122/rare-nissan-laurel-medalist-1500preston

He certainly stopped replying to PMs. That was a major hit on my radar last time I was vehicle searching.

Peugeot 504/ 505 preferably diesels for max economy or even one of FOADs 305 estate collection, really comfy for long distances.

V6 omega on lpg (just keep a spare crank sensor and coil pack and you'll be right) auto boxes self destruct at about 120k due to a plastic sodding thrust washer otherwise comfy mile muncher when set on cruise.

With anything lpg check on tank range nothing more annoying than running on petrol at £1.10 a litre when you could be paying 54p

Sierra estates are bloody awful in a cross wind on the motorway, didn't stop us pushing our 2.3D upto around 400k before the wiring loom burned out and someone bought it as an engine donor

I think that the most reliable and economic car I had was my 96 Passat TDI, this was the old shape one.

90bhp as standard but chipped to about 120.

EGR easily disabled

Simple rotary pump

No DMF

Cat replaced with straight pipe.

47mpg driven hard and mine was an estate.

The brakes were too small but G60 discs and VR6 calipers was a bolt on fix.

But this is now a twenty year old car so any survivers are going to be intergallactic mileage and old.

Next I had an 806 HDI for 240,000 miles.

This was extremely long lived but caused a little more trouble on the way.

A 406 HDI would be equally good, but the reliability only comes with the 2.0 8 valve.

The trouble came from the DMF. You can swap them out for a solid flywheel but it costs £££.

Some of the Xantias got the 110bhp HDI but a solid flywheel as standard.

Anything after this is going start becoming more complex.

On the other hand any Mondeo / Vectra / 406 type thing whether petrol or diesel really should be good for long journeys.  That's what they were designed for.

However, I think i'd probably just stick with what you've got tbh as it's a known quantity. Just swap it when you've worn it out or when it becomes uneconomic to fix.

This is a very sensible response, though driving loads of miles in England has really made me crave an automatic, hence the S-MX. It just takes some of the sting out of the inevitable traffic jams.

Much as I don't tend to like Vauxhalls I have to admit that over the years I've had a fair few Vectra Cs as hire cars and been impressed with how well they behave on a motorway. Base spec seems to be comfiest, with harsh sporty-esque embellishments like big wheels and rock hard seats being absent. Even povvo-spec hire cars had decent heaters, stereos, and halfway decent amounts of power.

As comfy as the equivalent Laguna and, well, probably just BETTER as an ownership proposition.

I always preferred Mondeos overall, but I must admit that for motorway miles the Vectra was the better car.

I'd get a vectra with comfy seats and quieter cabin ... A Saab 9-3.

Or Passat b5/b5.5 1.9tdi if I wanted maximum MPG that can do mega miles.

What about Brens Focus? Tidy as you are going to get, well maintained. Looks a really genuine car. TDCI is very miserly on fuel in Focus.

Does it have cruise control? If you're doing that sort of milage, it's a necessity imo. Especially with tiredness and the amount of speed cameras on the motorways.

What about Brens Focus? Tidy as you are going to get, well maintained. Looks a really genuine car. TDCI is very miserly on fuel in Focus.

Nice while they work, most of the TDCis i know of have shit their fuel pump/fuel card either resulting in expensive replacement or the car getting scrapped.

Pez auto is they way to go, they may cost more to run but you can buy them at a cheaper price and they are usually lower milage the the equivilent dizzler.

Pez auto is they way to go, they may cost more to run but you can buy them at a cheaper price and they are usually lower milage the the equivilent dizzler.

A modern auto box will lock-up the torque converter in the upper gears. This means the lossy (I.e burns more fuel) slushy torque converter is then physically locked together for power transfer, rather than relying on the fluid to transfer the power (and losses). So essentially motorway cruising in a modern auto will pretty much get you the same MPG figures as the manual version.

..Unless it's a 4 speed box with silly low ratio in top gear. Unlikely, especially with something of decent size. Also easy enough to check on a test drive.

Big, powerful engines also often are geared really tall in top gear, so actually still do alright if you keep to the speed limit. This is why at 70mph, the Gooner 3l v6 is doing 35-36mpg as the engine is only spinning around 2250rpm. Low revs also make it a lot quieter too!

The Vauxhall Signum is a hatchback on the Vectra estate's floor plan, can be had in 2.2DTi form in Elite spec (leather and toys) and with good tyres is a silent motorway cruiser that'd do 50mpg all day.

They're very cheap now given relative obscurity, and you'll also marvel at the loading space available if you put the rear seats down.

FYI 42mpg can be achieved from the torque-a-riffic 3.0CDTi but combined cycle is rarely more than 30.

Also another vote for a Saab - a 9-5 in a Vector trim with the 2.2 diesel is pretty much a Signum only saloon and with comfier seats.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

A Vectra C isn't even slightly as comfortable as a Laguna - more reliable yes possibly but it isn't in the same league for comfort

You're all wrong!

It's Automatic; it's diesel; it's £375 to buy; it's got MOT; IT'S DEFINITIVELY SHITE!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/renault/for-sale-just-took-it-in-px/1192256737

$_86.JPG

Just buy it, and run it till it breaks, loads more fun than anything else that's affordable!

Think someone has already suggested these as an option, my dad had one new years ago and they're actually a very nice and very comfortable car. Don't forget when describing it to people you must always mention it's the one with the BMW engine

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/2001-rover-75-estate-turbo-diesel-automatic-12-months-mot-£495-/1192063064