Time for a van ... now collectioned!

messerschmitt owner

I'm finding that my Merc estate and Dispatch Combi are getting too wee for the stock I am carryimg.

The dispatch has just (at 216,000 miles) shat itself again with a £250 repair required to the induction system (again, and with the part lasting a mere 3 months) so it is heading to the great garage in the sky shortly.

This leaves me with a dilema. I need a new van - but budget is tight.

I also require occasional use of four seats and the ability to get over the Severn Bridge for car rate (as otherwise it isn't worth crossing the bridge into Wales on a van rate), so it's ideally a combi with a set of three seats in the back. It also has to be LEZ complant because I go there every month without fail.

Remit: Something up to £1500, swb or mwb, but definitely not a lwb. Six seats, LEZ compliant, can carry a tonne in comfort without looking like its arse is scraping the ground.

Are Renault DCi vans as bad as the cars for eating their engines?

Should I just by a trannie?

WIll Billy recommend an Iveco?

Are Toyota Hiaces any good and will the diesel engine eat its headgasket for breakfast?

Are VW transporters purchasable in decent nick without a surfboard on the roof?

Any suggestions?

You are gonna struggle to get a transporter with rear seats, or one of any description really for that budget. 

Don't know what the rules are on the Severn crossing but would suggest a smiley transit, possibly a mk1 Vito? Vivaro/Trafic/etc are often available as 6 seaters and well rated but possibly a  bit out of budget.

Ian,

The bridge have odd rules. Don't they charge you as a van if you're in a car with the rear seats folded down or something ridiculous? I just ignore the bridge myself. The toll is bloody ridiculous for the tiny stretch of water crossing. 

Ian, you live in mid Wales, so it's really easy to avoid the bridge but I'm 30 miles via bridge or near 60 via Gloucester to get home. I think the tolls are electronically worked out from your vehicle reg - so a combi counts as a car but a van with only front seats is a van.

How big does it need to be? I'd recommend a Berlingo car as the interior is huge and they are good for going to the top without needing a licence. For sheer interior space/small exterior, the older Kangos take some beating. Again get a car type.

Ian,

Ian, you live in mid Wales, so it's really easy to avoid the bridge but I'm 30 miles via bridge or near 60 via Gloucester to get home. I think the tolls are electronically worked out from your vehicle reg - so a combi counts as a car but a van with only front seats is a van.

I still avoid it, even when coming up from the South West. The price is grossly disproportionate. Adds a ton of  time, and Gloucester can be very unpleasant to negotiate, but sod 'em. 

Here is a checker whether a vehicle is affected by the LEZ or not: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected

Note: A Minibus designed to have fewer than nine seats including the driver is classed as a passenger car, hence is not affected by the LEZ, even if OMGDEISL.

So that opens the door quite a bit.

And Skizzer's idea should be considered - why not chuck the Dispatch and buy a tow bar and trailer for your Benz?

The only downside to this is that trailers are made by the devil and should be avoided like the clap...

And Skizzer's idea should be considered - why not chuck the Dispatch and buy a tow bar and trailer for your Benz?

The only downside to this is that trailers are made by the devil and should be avoided like the clap...

having sold a 2004 Mercedes 416cdi motorhome at nine years old as it was LEZ non compliant at age seven, I know the tfl site.

Unfortunately, I like the idea of the stock being undercover and not in a trailer. Next month I'm doing a show in Perth - only 400 miles away and I'm not towing and being limted to 60... Asked questions of that Hiace - I do love them, and I like the early Trafics too.

a car-derived van - C15, Berlingo, etc, doesn't cut it. The dispatch is already bigger than all of those. It's definitely one capable of carrying a ton that I need. Spent all day trawling the net for vans - and having a chat later with a Hiace owner ...

I would be wary of Transits, especially the 2001-2006 models. Aside from TDCi fuel pump & injector woes, most of them now are VERY VERY crusty underneath, check very carefully if going to get one. Rear spring hangers, cross members, rear floor, front steps, sills(inner & outer) are just a few little places to check.

Otherwise, they are alright.