Invalid carriage blue Mk1 Cavalier

4wheeledstool

Kicked off a short session today by removing the steering column from the bulkhead. It's held to the bulkhead with a shear bolt - the easiest way to remove it was to cut a slot in the head and wind it out with a comedy massive screwdriver.

5tM0TEZ.jpg

Nothing in the way of painting the engine bay now. (Apart from the weather!)

Finished up with a bit more grot chopping - this time it's the offside A pillar. I'll cut it back a bit higher before a repair piece is knocked up, I just ran out of time.

X33UFB1.jpg

Excellent progress. Metal work and welding looks really good.

Cheers! It's very reasonable, it'll do for me. If I'd done it myself, it would look very different!

I spotted a couple of bits that the main welder bloke missed, but I'm pretty pleased with whats done so far. The missed bits can always be addressed next time. Today I removed the back doors, and stripped out the locking mechanisms and check straps. It's far too cold to stay all day - so I didn't!

qrsNtjC.jpg

Cheers!That would work on some of them, but the lower wishbone ones are definitely gonna need the press!

Rear axle was painted this evening at work - its 23 degrees all year round there. :)

HJQ1JPp.jpg

Pretty awkward to carry about indoors, but worth it to avoid waiting for warmer weather!

The new suspension bushes were fitted today, seemingly only doable with three hands, a vice, and a bearing press! I just couldn't do it on my own, so Sam and Liam from neighbouring units supplied the extra hand required - and it was a piece of piss!

Panhard rod

W39bCx0.jpg

Rear trailing arms

8cH7PyE.jpg

Cross member braces

RkQxQAm.jpg

Upper wishbones

mAUliUK.jpg

Bottom arms

bm4tomA.jpg

Rear ARB

wZnB7XA.jpg

Sadly , no new swear words were created. :(

Rear axle now ready to re fit (One day!) now that the brake lines and brackets are back on.

mdzwvPd.jpg

A bit more paint removal done too - this time it was the bottoms of the rear quarters.

post-18211-0-65587000-1454101777_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll be preparing some of this bare metal for paint soon.....

A bit more paint went on today - you can't beat a bit of progress!

This first pic shows the engine bay after the zinc phosphate treatment a couple of days ago. There's still wet patches from rinsing it off with water, but you can see the milky finish the metal thats been treated has.

post-18211-0-62195200-1512676539_thumb.jpg

I went into work early this morning so that I could finish early, and got stuck into it before it became too cold.

GpUAmr5.jpg

FNhjikL.jpg

SM9mpGV.jpg

1Wim3Vg.jpg

Once seam sealer is applied and its flatted back, it's ready to prime and paint. (Obviously I need to do the rest first!)

Is that brushed on or ??

Bloody brilliant finish!

Cheers! It is indeed brushed on. :)

I'm so relieved you found some rust, it was all starting to feel a bit unreal.

There was always going to be some rust, I consider myself extremely lucky that it was such a piffling amount on a car this age!

I'm really excited to see how this baby is gonna turn out.

I keep looking at the first page to remind myself of what it used to look like.

Really glad you're doing it to get proper use out of it rather than flog it on eBay as well. Hats off to you, sir!

Cheers! I could be going all out concours with it, but life's too short. I'd also be reluctant to use it if it was show queen standard!

Today saw the offside inner wing/A pillar/chassis rail painted. Prep for this was done yesterday, and dried off using a space heater.

ZKQ6LHx.jpg

Paint was applied carefully to avoid runs (which isn't easy with this stuff as its very runny) but to ensure enough goes on so that the brush marks disappear.

UI8NGjH.jpg

DS6UUys.jpg

6Vt2mB8.jpg

bYOhQqU.jpg

It looked a bit translucent after just one coat, so the pics were taken after the second. The space heater ran out of gas, so I need to sort that out before any more progress with paint happens. :(

I did ask earlier......

Was this shell 'knocked up' with clamping jigs/manual spot welders = like in the Manta U-toob we have linked here??TS

I've no idea chief - the only thing I know about its manufacture is that it happened in Antwerp in 1976. It does have a slightly "hand built" look to it with the seam sealer removed!

Looks good.  What sort of paint is the grey stuff please?

(I think that the Mantas were made on a simpler assembly line as they were making so few after main production of the Ascona/Cavaliers had finished.  Seems a fair bet that when they were making loads, like this one, they had the full production equipment).  And they weren't bad cars as I remember them, usual cliche about how few are left..........