Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - what date should the next FoD be?

Six-cylinder

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Is the 404 staying out and being used during the cold season or getting wrapped up as well?

I am not sure yet. There are a couple of jobs I would still like to do and I need something classic for local gatherings, but it seems to be letting quite a bit of rain water in.

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I am not sure yet. There are a couple of jobs I would still like to do and I need something classic for local gatherings, but it seems to be letting quite a bit of rain water in.

It was my daily a few winters ago and it never complained, the lack of a working heater wasn’t great though.

IMG_1421.jpeg

6 hours ago, Weird Car said:

It was my daily a few winters ago and it never complained, the lack of a working heater wasn’t great though.

IMG_1421.jpeg

I took the 404 to a Triumph meeting tonight 38 mile round trip, Very little heating going and none on the way home with the temp gauge reading only 60° C. Better news is the new headlights I fitted work well and I never got flashed either.

IMG_20231017_182414 broad.jpg

I once took an elderly primer grey Peugeot to a car meet in the depths of winter with little to no heating.  That was a 304 estate and the meeting was at the Ace Café - I was a bit* cold by the time I got home...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I once took an elderly primer grey Peugeot to a car meet in the depths of winter with little to no heating.  That was a 304 estate and the meeting was at the Ace Café - I was a bit* cold by the time I got home...

An ironic name for a mediocre cafe. 

I once drove across the pennines to Leeds, from Liverpool, taking my son to a University open day. In a mk3 cavalier with a partially blocked heater matrix. 

It got down to minus 14 outside. Luckily it was a sunny day, so it wasn't as cold on the way home. 

20 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

but it seems to be letting quite a bit of rain water in.

never rains in the sarf does it :P

least its not peeing out from underneath or similar

12 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I never got flashed either.

IMG_20231017_182414 broad.jpg

Everyone was too busy trying not to crash whilst blind 😂

I remember the fun I had when the rear height corrector seized on my xantia, which sunk the back end down a tad, meaning I blinded everyone until I sorted it and the car sat level and the headlights did as they should

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Is the thermostat working, or stuck open / removed?

I take it we are talking about Error 404. I don't believe it is working as we were running at about 80° C on the way there and 60° C on the way back in colder air with less traffic. I don't know if it is stuck or missing.

The Rolls Royce also has a thermostat problem but instead of interrupting the water flow it operates shutters that cover the front of the radiator.

3 minutes ago, Six-cylinder said:

I take it we are talking about Error 404. I don't believe it is working as we were running at about 80° C on the way there and 60° C on the way back in colder air with less traffic. I don't know if it is stuck or missing.

The Rolls Royce also has a thermostat problem but instead of interrupting the water flow it operates shutters that cover the front of the radiator.

I meant the Peugeot. Does the rolls even have a water pump?

1 minute ago, Six-cylinder said:

The seal for the impeller shaft is like a boat with grease forced in periodicly  to form the seal.

A rope seal or is that even later?

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

A rope seal or is that even later?

No rope seal on mine. The problem is the grease is pushed into the water and ends up in the radiator. My friend Ian with the 20/25 had to back flush his radiator to get it out. 

Just now, Six-cylinder said:

No rope seal on mine. The problem is the grease is pushed into the water and ends up in the radiator. My friend Ian with the 20/25 had to back flush his radiator to get it out. 

The recent trip to kempton steam museum ....learned that they use very heavy grease and oil that would withstand steam

3 hours ago, Six-cylinder said:

I wonder if the heater matrix is passed it's best, as well as T/stat being an issue

7 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I wonder if the heater matrix is passed it's best, as well as T/stat being an issue

A part blocked matrix seems likely to me. When my Triumph Vitesse heater became blocked and I back flushed it an unbelievable amount of coffee coloured liquid came out all over me and the engine.

If you come to visit me from Scotland please don't bring your rain with you!

@juular and @MrsJuular came down for the weekend to progress the work on their BX and the grass is sodden in the paddock.

My Range Rover is broken so I called a friend with a BMW but all it got was 4 wheel spin.  Round 2 involved our farming neighbour and his Isuzu 4x4 pick up, several attempts and eventually  it came out just before a tractor was going to be involved!

IMG_20231019_162051 broad.jpg

IMG_20231019_164518 broad.jpg

IMG_20231019_164738 broad.jpg

• Six-cylinder changed the title to Six Cylinders Motoring Notes - If you come to visit me from Scotland please don't bring your rain with you!
1 minute ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Is the JCB not working?

It is, but it weights 7 1/2 tons and is 2 wheel drive with worn tyres so I think there was only a 80% it would not get stuck! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

I'm really surprised (though pleased) that the nickname I (think I) applied to that has stuck!

Mrs6C thinks it was the most appropriate name for it!

• Like 1