Cars you didn't know existed until very recently.

philibusmo

AROnline has alerted me to the existence of the Australian Rover 416i. It's not what you think it is...

The entire Australian motor industry seems a bit weird to me TBH, what with all the government-mandated model sharing..

Did you see WHY the Celeriacs had the brake problem?

In the event of impact, it moves the pedals away from you to avoid busted ankles. But it couldn't tell the difference between deceleration through braking, and deceleration through twatting it into a bus.

I came across this dumpy little saloon today. I had no idea what it was other than it was a Proton, turns out it was a Proton S16 - otherwise known as the Proton Saga in Malaysia. Supposedly this is the best selling Proton in Australia, but I've never seen one before so fuck knows who they were selling them to as I've seen plenty of Savvys, Impians, Gen2s, Satria Neos and Preves.Ckpfjvi.jpg

SAVVY 'lwb' regurgitated. Boot obviously, but a rework of engine bay metalwork to get the Proton GEN sized motor in.

The latest iteration of the 4door MPi so beloved on here....

TS

The Suprima is one of the new products Proton have been promising for the UK for years. In the meantime, they've sold next to no cars for two years and seem to have lost most of their dealers.

In other news, last night I learned of the existance of the Kia Retona:

164d1d52.jpeg

It was the replacement for the Asia Rocsta but never made it to the UK. The nearest it got was being sold, without success, in Germany. One of those cars that looks so ugly I actually quite like it.

• Like 3

post-17481-0-34497700-1427648525_thumb.png

Saw one of these the other day. Wish I hadn't as I was blissfully unaware of their existence.

Looks much worse in the plastic. I expect they will be everywhere soon :-(

I quite like those BMW things, they are proof you can make a car look really shockingly different by tweaking a couple of simple styling details that we have all grown to accept as the 'right' way a car should look. They have a big coupe styled along similar lines which also looks cool, only seen one of those on the roads though.

Someone that works in the same business park that I work at has one. I don't like them just as I think that sort of shape of car looks awful. To me it looks like an old Mercedes A class featuring in Tron. 

• Like 2

I don't keep up with new car news so seeing something that looked like this

visions-01.jpg

on the bypass last year had me wondering if I'd fast forwarded a few years without realising.

I don't like BMW's as a rule but I did like that (and the late 70's 7 series that was following it).

I just thought I would have a look and see if anyone had a Standard Vanguard for sale here. A search for "Vanguard" brought up nearly 200 hits. All were these....

post-2915-0-82181800-1427744372_thumb.jpg

Thieving bastards

I quite like those BMW things, they are proof you can make a car look really shockingly different by tweaking a couple of simple styling details that we have all grown to accept as the 'right' way a car should look. They have a big coupe styled along similar lines which also looks cool, only seen one of those on the roads though.

I really like the I3. I did a write-up on it here. My only misgiving is the way it's marketed, which is, inevitably, to those who can afford an expensive toy.

Yes, I know early adoption to new technologies is always expensive; the first VCR was a trillion pounds and the first Corby Trouser Press had to be underwritten by the US government before a prototype could be built, but the BMW I3 shows absolutely no interest in even slight pandering to the needs of the fiscally undistinguished.

It's labelled as an I3, as if it might be some kind of vegetarian alternative to a new 3 series, but it isn't. The one I drove was £41k. OK, a big chunk of that pays for the technology, but the preposterously swanky interior means it will never, ever, ever be a car for the people, meanwhile BMW tell us they're trying to save the world.

The profoundly wealthy will inherit the Earth. Us meek are fucked.

The Toyota Lexcen - a rebadged version of the Holden Commodore VN. I've seen plenty of the Holden version but saw my first Toyota today.

1280px-1989-1991_Toyota_Lexcen_%28T1%29_

Yep, Spanish. Seems Nissan bought them for their commercial expertise, and there are lots of indigenous Nissans floating about still which were originally Ebros. I think that's the factory where they build all the hi-top Trafics/Vivaros/Primastars because Luton is too low. Terranos previously too perhaps, but I could just be talking out of my anus on that one.

Didn't think I'd ever see a photo of an existing RHD one though. It's got a bit of a squished VW LT look about it.

• Like 2

Ahhh it is now ringing a dim bell from old issues of TRUCK. Assumed Ebro was the model name. 

It's up for £2250 ono, ad says it has 50,000 miles on it, diesel, 2+2 berth, five new tyres, MoT Sept... does look in very good nick.

I remember those Ebros being sold in the UK in the early 80's. The Massey Ferguson dealer in my village in Wales (Talsarn) sold them alongside Subarus.

The SpanishOld Bill used to have Ebro badged Patrols too.

Isn't that a Kuga?

Edit, no it looks completely* different*.

It appears to be a Kuga style vehicle (2wd faux offroader) in a Fiesta size. Useful.