Where are the new rubbish cars?

Cavcraft

I've been thinking about this for a while (you can tell I get bored easily) and I can't think of a new car maker that is truly awful. I'm not trying to start another tiresome 'debate' about all new cars being crap, so forget that idea.

What I'm on about is the sort of standing jokes about Ladas, Skodas, Moscovitchs and what not. Cars that even brand new were deemed to be poorly built, unreliable shit that some (probably snobs) wouldn't be seen dead in.

I don't think we have anything like that now: yeah, we probably all have a bias against one make or another, but I don't think the same level of abject rubbishness is available new in Britain now.

Is it just me, or is there a make I've overlooked whose every car is deemed to be appalling and the but of everyone's jokes?

See, every "Korean shit" I've owned (and there have been a few) has been well screwed together, reliable and pleasant to drive.  A bit bland, maybe, and the interiors can be rather low-rent (and yes, the Ssangyong Rrodius is hhideous), but they're not bad cars in any sense of the word.

Would think Menari's are too Wat, but isn't that what makes a truly rubbish car, am thinking of Skoda Estelles many years ago, laughed at by all but a real hoot to drive.

I suppose the only properly shit new cars these days are stuff like the Chery QQs that China is turning out, and which aren't available here (yet).

Having said that, I did see two Great Wall pickups on the road today.

Ay, there is o

.There seem to be quite a few Proton dealers still trading, just picked on the North West as its local to me,

Amuse the family for oh minutes by finding the dealer nearest to you with this highly interactive map;

http://www.proton.co.uk/dealers/

Ay, there is one in Dukinfield. Might pop up there on Saturday and scope out the place.

The most interesting stuff at those 'odd car' dealerships are the trade-ins littering the used car lot.

Shite alert imminent.

I think it's Premier Kia - it's next to a high school and a swimming pool. I know as I'm in Stalybridge and pass by on my driving lessons (and we like the Morrisons nearby). They might also sell Chevrolet/Proton etc though.

I do honestly see all new cars as rubbish, no exception. OK, the build quality has pretty consistently reached a level one could actually live with, but everything looks and feels like it's either been designed by a 4-year-old, or someone who deliberately pretends to be daft as dung.

Looking at new cars I just can't help it having the impression, that those financial institutions, that camouflage themselves as being car manufacturerers, view - and consequently treat - building cars as a nuisance, necessary to be able to coax people into finance schemes.

The system was clearly invented in the USA and is now globalised.

I can -again- only recommend John Keats' book 'The Insolent Chariots', which he wrote in 1950s(!) America. It really is a total eye-opener on many levels. It exactly paints the picture we have now all over the world and I saw it coming (without having read the book at the time) when I worked as an apprentice at BMW in the early 80s and subsequently avoided further involvement in the new car manufacturing and/or marketing field. I realised that what I was doing back then was immoral and hence just not what I wanted to do with my life. Details on request, but many will dismiss them as conspiracy theories.

• Like 2

Of course times have moved on,and you can no longer be ripped off on finance unless you are a complete fucktard,also cars and finance are cheaper then they have ever been,and we have on offer a massive range of hot hatches,muscle cars,reliable,non rusty cars etc,remember most people see cars as white goods,and manufacturers are in it to make money.....in fact,just like motoring since Ford invented mass production,when was that again? before 1986 i'm sure.

Gotta be Chevrolet. Every one I come across seems to be ankle deep in roll-up ash and smell of a cabbage fart. Second rate Vauxhall technology, and now (IMO, daily expletive filled rants -out of owners earshot of course) Vauxhall are THE most unreliable shite on the road these days, stealing the coveted crown from Renault, which have gone up 71.8% in my shite car chart in the last few years.

I suspect legal requirements on safety, emissions etc. have stopped imports of cars badly built from ancient designs in the manner of 80's FSO's, Ladas, Yugos etc.  They're still out there, just not officially imported now.

That said, can you still buy a TATA in the UK?

Actually, finance is pretty cheap.

I financed a car, and it worked out cheaper than going to the bank and borrowing from them.

The cars are expensive, hence the total repayable is expensive - I'm not disputing that. But the charge for finance is pretty small these days

I think Cav has hit the nail on the head with this one. Kia, Hyundai and Daewoo basically killed off Lada in the UK, Skodas became good and then all these manufacturers really upped their game. People won't put up with shoddy old designs anymore, we love them though!