TAXI FOR SALE!- Brookjm's new wheels guv'nor £800 long T&T

HMC

I've had an unexplained fascination for these things ever since i was a kid. Iconic in their own right, born of a convoluted and very english set of rules that go back to the earliest part of the last century. Recent legislation in London means theres now a 15 year cut off for hackney carriages, so with lots of them coming off licence this year, its a buyers market, I've been idly looking for a 1 owner driver example for a bit. I was sorry to see routemasters go (was it 2005?) but there was no chance of getting one of those past the missus! An fx4 taxi, would be doable. however I wanted one straight out of service as the strict checks they go through is usually a reasonable indicator of condition: Theres been a taxi collector/ dealer in my old home town as long as i can remember, and a phone call revealled that this particular cab was being offered by the very same collector.

IMG_6697.jpg

M977MYK was sold through Mann and Overton and registered in central london may 1995 and was plying its trade to the end of last year. Its in nice mechanical condition, and is tidy bodily too. It has the 2.7 nissan diesel and a 3 speed auto with an overdrive. Inside is a parts bin special with some of the leisurely 300 mile trip back to devon spent figuring out what piece of switchgear came from where. The instrument cluster is i think ex maestro/ montego, though i stand to be corrected. I remember my discovery II having much the same window switches, possibly MGF too?

IMG_6708.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

I have to say the long motorway trip was far more comfortable than I was expecting, and used far less diesel than i expected, given that no thought whatsoever went into how it cleaves through the air.

IMG_6707.jpg

IMG_6712.jpg

My wife thinks i'm mad, which may well be the case, but its a piece of design i've long wanted to own

That is just marvellous. Looks very clean too.

It'll be very sad when these are no longer common. I was looking at one in a taxi rank not long ago - they stand out a bit now that most of the cabs are modern TXs - and had never noticed just how old fashioned the design is. Suddenly I realised that there are masses of 1950s Austins still driving around all over the country.

Nope, you are not mad - I have thought about one of these as an MPV myself.

I gather there isnt a lot of scope for the driver though to spread out if he/she is tall or wide.

There's one of these up for sale locally which is tempting. It's been in private hands for a year and is in need of a drivers side wing as it is tres crusty. The interior is a little untidy but could be brought up to speck quite easily. Dare I ask how much yours was?

Cheers

Ken

Steering wheel is Metro I think, as is the binnacle. They are actually surprisingly jolly to cruise around in. A pal has one with less than 70k on the clock as it never worked as a Taxi. It's bloody excellent. I'd only been a passenger in thoroughly worn out ones, which crash about like the suspension has been welded up.

+1 on the Metro instruments.

Can you keep us updated on how you get along with this please, Jim? Quite fancy one of these and there are shitloads about at the moment, possibly because they're not LEZBO compliant anymore, or Boris has decided any cab under three minutes old is shit and must be taken off the streets.

I drove and MOT'd a 2008 TX Bronze a few weeks back,which isn't a working taxi,but part of a collection of various vehicles;suprised me to see it was a manual,as I ' foolishly' assumed most would be auto. It was actually quite a nice thing to drive,and good fun .... if you like that kind of thing :)

We have these proper black hacks up here too, and having had two cabbies in the family I'm quite fond of these old tanks as well, although I've only ever driven one the once.

(Mind you, that was enough.....I don't know what sort of engine a 86 on a C would have had, but it was rougher than a badger's arse and as slow as a week in the jail) :x

Excellent purchase, I've been thinking about one myself but according to Trigger's road test the fuel economy isn't great.

If it can stagger along at 65mph and beat 40mpg I reckon it's a goer, anything less will make it tricky to justify. I'd also be tempted to change the engine for a Terrano turbo 2.7 :D

I understand the chassis is tough but the body can rust like any other 1960s car?

I think those road test boys must have caned that cab to get 23mpg from 75% motorway driving. I think my speedo was over reading, i stuck at an indicated 65-70 but judging by speed relative to HGVs and overall journey time think 62-65mph was where i sat. Oddly relaxing as you pootle past trucks and caravans, and with good lane discipline dont bother anybody. In the 300 mile 95% motorway trip my calculations come out at 31MPG. Maybe they revised the gearing or put a lock up torque converter on the later ones? I didnt thrash it, partly as its mechanical shape was still an unknown quantity. It didnt wander and had quite a reasonable ride. I was ready to have to stop a lot from the apparent cramped driving position but despite being a 6 footer, i didnt really have to (except for a burger king pit stop for the driver)

Oh yes. They'll rot in all sorts of nasty ways. Chassis will go too if they're not looked after. A turbo diesel would be an interesting upgrade...

During looking for one I was ready for the worst, particularly as one chap I talked to said the factory rustproofing was poor and they began to rust from new. Having said that and bearing in mind the constant use, the age and mileage theres not much rust on mine. I think like cars were in the 60s/70s. body condition is very dependent on the preventative maintenence of the owner/ operator, I was lookng for an owner driver example as after they'd shelled out their own money, would be more likely to look after it.

Ps thanks for posting that road test up again trig, love the cornering shot!

OWIGHT GAV'NA, ERE' I 'AD DAT TV PRESENTER GEEZA IN MY CAB AN' HE SAID...AND DAT NORMAN BLADDY TEBBIT...I AINT GAAN DAAN SAAF OV DA RIVER DIS TOIME A NOIGHT...WROITE, DAT'LL TEN PAHNDS PLEASE GAV....

Yeah, anyway. Er, I guess its an itch thats going to be scratched then. I kind of like these 2.7 OWIGHT GAV'NA Nissan Diesel specials, they sound terrible and dont seem to pick up an awful lot of speed (or is that just the taxi drivers?).

IMG_6716.jpg

Rover parts bin special:

be50709a.jpg

These switches were in my 820e for the windows too.

True taxi driver story, A guy my father in law works with was a London cab driver in the 70's and picked up Tommy Cooper one day, Really nice bloke apparently, anyway when he got out the cab he told the FIL's mate to open his hand and he put something into his palm whilst telling this taxi driver to have a drink on him, upon checking the contents, Tommy only left him a tea bag. :D

...'just like that"

OWIGHT GAV'NA, ERE' I 'AD DAT TV PRESENTER GEEZA IN MY CAB AN' HE SAID...AND DAT NORMAN BLADDY TEBBIT...I AINT GAAN DAAN SAAF OV DA RIVER DIS TOIME A NOIGHT...WROITE, DAT'LL TEN PAHNDS PLEASE GAV....

Yeah, anyway. Er, I guess its an itch thats going to be scratched then. I kind of like these 2.7 OWIGHT GAV'NA Nissan Diesel specials, they sound terrible and dont seem to pick up an awful lot of speed (or is that just the taxi drivers

It is slow and must have an appalling power to weight ratio. (This from a man who just sold his 560sec) The m5 m6 were no problem, but the undulating a30 was another story. The way it progressively lost momentum on the hills reminded me of the various 2cvs i used to own. It does make you good at judging the relative speed of other vehicles when timing overtaking manouvers etc so as not to loose momentum.

from the book- another bit of taxi slang- a 'john bull" anyone hazard a guess

I believe all Fairways had a lockup torque convertor in overdrive, it's what one of the 3 round lights means.

There's a place in Bedfordshire that does a conversion for the front passenger seat but because they keep the partition in place your head is against the glass. Dunno if you can take the partition out or whether it's structural? I think the partition is normally stepped so the driver gets more space, could you make the passenger side the same?

Oh yes. They'll rot in all sorts of nasty ways. Chassis will go too if they're not looked after. A turbo diesel would be an interesting upgrade...

Get an FX4R with the Land Rover engine and a 200Tdi from a Discovery "drops straight in", there's a couple running around with those in, a bit quicker but it's still a heavy old wagon!