How rare is this..????

Ian Mac

Howmanyleft.com shows that there are over 70 sixteens on the road, 12 of which are TL manual and 4 TL auto. There could be more but I should think they are near the bottom of the curve now and those remaining will be preserved whilst others not on the road will be restored.

Have a gratuitous pic of a white one :)

6273839472_574e61be65_z.jpg

Hi Wuvvum, the white one belongs to my friend Chris - I had a ride in it a couple of weekends ago when we went up the A1(M) to collect my GSA from Chevronics. I took pics on the day but haven't had time to post them. Not every day you see a 16 and a GSA Break in convoy :)

Chris has an account on here but so far he only lurks. I'm seeing him tomorrow so I plan to tell him about the Alpine for sale on here :twisted:

Mark

Ooooh a TX too! 8)8)8)

Co-incidentally with the DS in front of it, do we not have in that picture the only two cars ever to have a five speed gearbox on a column mounted change? [/anorak]

Unless you count the Bedford Albany...

Some 1950s Alfas had five-speed column shift as well...

Five speed box in the fifties? Are you sure, I stand to be corrected but the fifties was the three speed era.

OK I have done my research (gone straight to wiki and nowhere else): Until the mid-1970s, cars were generally equipped with 3-speed transmissions as standard equipment. 4-speed units began to appear on volume-production models in the 1950s and gained popularity in the 1960s; some exotics had 5-speeds.

I am very sure. From an actual book. Alfa Romeo 1900 Sprint/Super Sprint 1954-1958. "Five speed SS (Super Sport) has column or floor change."

The 2000 (a rare and beautiful saloon) also had a five-speed column option, 1958-1961.

The Renault 4CV Gordini could be spec'd with an after-market 5-speed gearbox (no synchromesh!) in the early 1950s. The 2CV had a four-speed gearbox from new in 1948, as did the Morris Minor and Land Rover. There was a massive overlap between different gearboxes.

Ahem. Not to take anything away from the magnificence of the Renault 16! Sorry. The Renault does have one of the all-time great gearchanges and is a car I would dearly love to own (though I'd need to move from Wales I think!).

Renault 16! ... a car I would dearly love to own (though I'd need to move from Wales I think!).

Why, exactly? Is there a by-law prohibiting ownership of 40-year-old Renaults in Wales? :shock: If there is, then yes, you need to move immediately, if not sooner!

Renault 16! ... a car I would dearly love to own (though I'd need to move from Wales I think!).

Why, exactly? Is there a by-law prohibiting ownership of 40-year-old Renaults in Wales? :shock: If there is, then yes, you need to move immediately, if not sooner!

Climate. I'm having enough trouble keeping on top of the rusty French cars I already own!

I worked for a Renault dealership from 1981 to 1985 in the days of the Renault 4, 5, 6, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20 and 30 - they were great cars and full of character. We also saw a few Renault 8 and 10's plus the 'new breed' of Renault in the form of the 9, 11, 21 and 25 - where did they all go? It all went wrong with the introduction of the 19 and Laguna although I must confess to having a soft spot for the Safrane and first generation Clio... :oops: