Talk to me about: Mercedes w202s

BorniteIdentity

Hey

Caught up with a bloke I used to work with 13 years ago. His parents have just moved into a bungalow with a genuine garage find car there.

It's a white w202 2.0 automatic with 90k on the clock. Little rust around the arches but no mention of any rot on the MOTs. Last ticket expired about 6 months ago.

What's it worth really? His old man is looking at about £400. I reckon he's probably not far out, maybe a bit toppy.

Also, what are they like? I love the looks of them, and from what I'm told they're actually easier to live with than the 190e.

These are pretty bullet proof,Yes, They do rust, but usually not anywhere near as bad as a Ford (New or Old). If looked after, they are capable of intergalactic mileages, & they usually wear the mileage well. The C180 is slow (In my opinion), Later ones 1997/8 Have a 5 speed Autobox, Early ones are 4 speed.

Overall, in my opinion, Buy it.

Offer around £250-275 at a push, because you can pick these up fairly cheaply now with an MOT, £500 & Under.

Cheap as chips at the mo, and after all the endless column inches about fawning over w124/ w201 and overlooking these I was suprised when I found it preferable to both in my eyes. Mine was a 180 and I would say it wasn't slow but needed working to get power out of it, which made mine surprisingly thirsty. The quality was better than the w208 cabrio I had around the same time. My 180 looked awful due to widespread rust all over th panel edges, but structurally it was free of corrosion. As long as it's ok underneath and cheap enough, why not. Very underrated IMO

Does seem a bit pricey for no MOT.

But, if you need one that's just failed it's MOT on emissions, had a new coil pack and leads thrown at it but has still got a misfire, so the owner has got the arse and bought a Peugeot 307, I might have just the thing , for £150.

It's a C200 4 speed auto that was driving lovely till it was parked up for 5 months, bodywork OKish, pogweaseled roof , cracked front bumper.

Might just need the other coil pack or might be completely knackered, I've not got the space or patience and I'm certainly not spending any money on the thing.

post-17414-0-45604200-1487443089_thumb.jpeg

This was a week ago, it's got £37 worth of GSF's finest Lion battery on it now.

I like the E Class in your picture NorfolkNWeigh....nice. Same for the old C200.

Self confessed Mercedes Licker Here...lol.

Oh, the early ones of these C Classes & E Class (W210) have a stupid immobiliser that give grief as they get older, the easy way to identify this, is on the outside drivers door lock, is a green& red light & the same on the interior rear view mirror.

I used to have an early 1996 E250 (W210) Turbodiesel & it developed this immobiliser fault. Sometimes it would play ball, other times it did not. The car would not start at all when it was playing up, Just turned over & over & the green & red lights on the interior mirror would flash as it was being turned over.

I never did get to the bottom of what caused it, Because i got pissed off with it, put it on the bay of E & some mad polish guy from Southhampton won the auction, Turned up at mine with a mitsubishi pajero & A-Frame, hooked it up, paid me & fucked off with it.

I had to laugh though, because the Mercedes was an Auto & he was towing it quite a distance....

Mercs of that era tend to have electrical issues. The loom innsulation is made of biodegradable cheese!

We have a w220 and though everything works it throws up random dash warning messages from time to time. Also spares are pricey here but will be better in UK

The w203 is already heading for that sort of money and there isn't the same love for the w202.

I think £400 is a tad salty unless it's in very good condition beyond the rust

Personally I quite like them, and wouldn't mind one of the larger engined varients

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The w203 is already heading for that sort of money and there isn't the same love for the w202.

I think £400 is a tad salty unless it's in very good condition beyond the rust

Personally I quite like them, and wouldn't mind one of the larger engined varients

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Exactly, but avoid the M271 (4 cyl ) engined cars from late 2002 like a scabby dog - they're a disaster.

An M111 engined Merc is a fine beast though. Scabby rust hides a remarkably tough old car and the W202 does drive well.

I have briefly considered these at odd times, generally when my 190E is having W201-specific heavy expenditure.   Particularly the steering - things like track rod ends and ball joints are significantly cheaper/easier on a C class.   They just about have that approved-era Merc look and are nice enough to be in.   I was offered a very clean R Reg one last summer for £500 in bright non-pog'd red and it was a looker, I have to admit. 

However, driving them has not endeared me, they do not have any of the "feel" of a 190E which in itself I find vastly inferior in "Merc-ness" to my old W123s.   Clean sheet, start again, I might consider a W202 but I definitely am not about to replace the 190E with one.

I had one of these some time ago, I remember cat failure being a thing and it certainly failed on mine (monolith broke up and blocked the exhaust).  Also had the red/green lights of doom, but it was down to a failing battery.  It was a very nice thing, not fast and not sharp but one of my top 5 vehicles.