Square Is Fair - 1987 Isuzu Piazza Turbo

dugong

Nice, I'd forgotten all about these and haven't seen one for years. I've remembered there used to be a white one very much like this dumped on some waste ground next to a hairdressers in my home town for many years, almost certainly long since recycled though.

Is the Vw concept story true or just an urban myth?

The latter :)

The Piazza was commissioned from the outset to be an Isuzu - it approached Italdesign to design a concept car which became the 1979 Ace of Clubs (Asso di Fiori). All that cobblers about it being 'a rejected Scirocco proposal' are fatuous. Yes, Italdesign did some other sketches for VW but Wolfsburg rejected them (separate studies to the Asso di Fiori - Italdesign had many clients and projects on the go at once) and took the Scirocco MkII back in house.

Isuzu productionised the Asso di Fiori directly from the concept vehicle and turned it into the Piazza using a very small middle section of the GM T-Car (Vauxhall Chevette plus umpteen derivatives) floor pan. The LSDs don't fit in Mantas or Chevettes without modification and it doesn't use the M100 Elan lump either.

I found when looking at the Piazza axle that the spring pans look like they're in the right place for a chevette, but all the mounting links are completely different and the nose of the diff is different too, plus they're wider. so fitting one in a chevette must be quite a project still, certainly not a 'bolt in' job.

This is a very cool little thing. I've not driven it, but I love the look of it. It dosen't have an '80s look, it IS the '80s. Seeing it in your rear view mirror is like being followed by a the cast of Back to The Future, Duran Duran and Pacman.

Had a drive of this at Shitefest. Very odd for a turbocharged 1980s car. No nothing-nothing-EVERYTHING with this. Just very torquey, then quite noticeably brisker further up the rev range. Never insanely quick. Interior is sheer madness. I love it.

The Isuzu TD fitted to 1990s Vauxhalls is lag-free as well.

These are very swish cars, the front end and side aspects especially.

An ADF picture I found on Pinterest.

17e7Bc9.jpg

On board the 1979 Asso di Fiori. Some markets got a fully digital dashboard - we didn't. This one was unique to the ADF - production cars in Japan, the US and Australia got a different arrangement witha large LCD readout in the middle for speed. It probably explains why the first Piazzas got a two-spoke steering wheel, too.

Believe it or not, Isuzu was considering a five-door Piazza. The fate of this car is currently unknown.

oVOvD5l.jpg