Are the Mk2 Mondeo the new uber banger?

sierraman

Ive had a few mk1 & 2 1.8 2.0 V6 but never realy been that impressed they all seemed thirsty compared to Sierra's

But i think when Ford built the Sierra they reached perfection and should either have continued to build it or give up building cars and rebadge other makers cars ... oh wait havent they done that now ?

Diddnt the V6 have a plastic water pump driven off the back of one of the cams by a hidden belt ?

Front wishbones & springs are a common fail and rotten rear brake pipes that unless you get creative will need the fuel tank droping to replace .

Expensive clutch jobs , poor autoboxes

Early models with missing master keys late models with only one key can be expensive if you need new keys

General Parts are cheap though now and ducktape is available in most of the colours now

Sierra's are a better car

I hate all Mondeos but quite like the mk1. I haven't seen one for ages.

Mk3 is horrible in ghia form. Hard, cold leather seats and grim plasticky dashboard that belongs on a poundland electronic device.

Like the cavalier and vectra thing, it felt like they were trying to advance but on the cheap.

I think he's on about the 2001-2007 model. Those shown above are Mk1.5 and Mk1 respectively. Yeah, I'm an anorak. I still hate the friggin' lot of 'em.

RLY? Ford seem to refer to the 2001 model as the Mk3 though, I've always known the Mk2 as the one introduced in 1997 on a P, like BOLLS

I had a 1997 run-out Verona mk1 - treated it to some ST200 wheels and it was a nice old barge but two clutch failures in a short time got it sent to the bridge, it's a £600 garage job thanks to the engine needing to be dropped. It also needed wishbones as an annual event for MoT. Apart from that it was good on fuel, comfy if a little spongy, and had a massive boot so was good for general family-lugging duties.

A colleague of mine at work had a 52 plated Mondeo Zetec TDCi, was clearly a ringer as the rear lights were from a late model titanium and the back doors didn't line up and weren't wired in to the electric windows...

But it soldiered on to a massive 140,000 miles until it lunched the turbo and clutch in the same week.

They're not amazing these days, earlier TD's are much more robust.

Another friend of mine had a 2.0 Ghia Estate on an M Reg which had 3 engines by 170k miles!!!!!

Edit, another couple I know bought a 58 plate Titanium X (Newest shape) and the clutch went, costing more than a good, second hand one would cost. They're not shite, they're shit.

Am I right in thinking the Mondeo up until 2001 was able to accept any drive train combination, all barr Rear Engine, Rear Drive?

I swear the thing is set up for a prop shaft, 4wd and FWD underneath, read it online somewhere. There was no chassis difference between 4x4 and FWD, unlike Cavaliers at the time which had a different floorpan.

Well like I said my only critisism of my old one was that it was really wallowy and too soft - a lovely cruiser but felt out of place on any roads with bends. And this was on 215/45 tyres. I do prefer a sportier ride though, I did a bit of work on a Mk2 V6 for my old boss so had to drive it home and back and that felt much more natural. That was a nice motor - full leather, black, plastic wood etc.

I saw a red K reg Mondeo yesterday. I worked at a Ford dealer (Skippers of Darlington) when these came out and they were a revelation - so much better than the Sierra and Chavaliar and it was one of Ford's rare leaps forward. They also seem more rust resistant than the Mark 2.

I wouldn't give you sixpence for a Mark 2 - the ultimate low rent councilmobile no matter how good they mighty be. But a really early '93 example, whilst nothing near classic status, is getting very rare now.

Mark 3's seem like a lot of modern car for the money to me whilst accepting that they are one disaster away from the bridge. I'd have a 1.8 petrol over a diesel though.

Mk2's are pretty council nowadays, there are two on the street where I live, which is an ex council estate, ant they look right at home! Specially the diesel one with its alloys painted red and white and blacked out windows :lol::lol::lol::lol:

However, check the muddy funk outta this!

P1050346.jpg

P1050348.jpg

Just won it on eBay the other night for £400, fetched it home last night. Went down on the train to pick it up, the seller met me at the railway station and we 'did the deal' at the roadside after he'd driven me a few streets away to where i thought he lived, but did not. After settling up and shaking hands he hopped out and loitered on the street, waiting for his mate to come and pick him up!!! Tp be fair he seemed alright, was quite happy to let me test drive it and that before handing over the coins and seemed like he was not trying to give me any BS story or owt. He scooped it up among a few other old motors he'd bought as unwanted PX's from a local dealers.

Anyway I drove it home and it seems to be spot bo11ock on! There are no lights on on the dash, the 2.5 V6 is as smooth as a mutha, the gearbox works perfectly, basically for £400 chuds i'm struggling to fault it. Its got some old MOTs though not a full set, and there is a service history book all stamped up with it but it does not have any vehicle details in the front so it could belong to any old car! its the same dealer as is on the number plated though and the mileages tie up with the MOT's so it might be right.

P1050347.jpg

P1050349.jpg

The interior is very nice, the black leather is in good nick and most stuff seems to work still, excluding the drivers heated seat! Its got a 6-CD changer under the passenger seat, aircon, heated screen, and all sorts.

P1050350.jpg

P1050351.jpg

The engine bay is very nice, really clean and unmessed with, no hylomar squidging out of anything, no leaks, and no broken or missing clips. The oil is clean and the battery terminals are well greased! It doesnt look like its had any council mechanics working on it.

It sails along at 80+ in almost silence, the throttle is pressed about 1mm at those speeds, it must be pretty high geared. I put in £15 of pez (at £1.48 a litre for ordinary unleaded!!! I was desperate man) and i have driven it 70 miles home, theres visibly still a bit left on the gauge compared to when I started so i'm sure its done a bit more than 30mpg, really need to brim it to test the economy properly though.

Faults I can find are:

rear door/wheelarch scuffed

2 of the radio speakers are kippered

The central locking does not work either off the plipper or off the drivers door! Annoying. You have to central-lock it off the passenger door, or lean over and lock it from the inside then lock the drivers door on the key once you're out. I have got the spare key with the red bit in though so maybe can source another key or try to reprogramme mine or something, not sure about that. Some research needed

Wipers judder horribly, new blades required.

Thats about it!!!!!

I am absolutely chuffed to bo11ox with it. Its really nice to drive, not what i would call quick (I reckon the Rover would waste it on some backroads), but amazingly smooth and quiet with a nice driving position and I think it will be not too crippling on the juice.

I am gonna swap the insurance off the Rover onto it 1st dec and then it will be on the road, so hopefully I can fettle the locking and the speakers before then.

That looks very straight and unmessed with - nice one Bol.

That bit where the under dash sound insulation is hanging down, if you look up under there with a torch you should see the fan resistor pack. Just have a look and make sure it is not burnt as I used to have to shove my hand up there to get the lower speeds working until I changed it.

Is this the monster from your road:

545755_10151067249807826_2124565003_n.jpg

My dad got rid of his T plate diesel last year - good nick and low mileage - the phone rang off the hook and he got good money for it.

They are far better than the vectra B, just a bit dull to look at and sometimes a bit too complicated for their own good - not a good thing on a £500 car. V6's thirsty, and although capable of high speed, not the quickest at accelerating.

My father also had a 1993 L reg diesel - a very early one with a cable operated clutch. When the cable snapped the AA were summoned only for us to be told "this is not a roadside repair." This was a bit of a wake up call as to how complicated even an "average" family ford was getting. Clutch itself was knackered, he replaced it himself over two days - no mean feat with car on axle stands and only basic tools.

I actually like the wood in ford's, my other half's fiesta ghia has it on the fascia. However, it cannot compete with the utter shitness of the stuff fitted to 80's/90's japcrap, in particular accords and galants. This really is ubershite.

I have got the spare key with the red bit in though so maybe can source another key or try to reprogramme mine or something, not sure about that. Some research needed

As long as you have 2 working keys you can programe another yourself

my friend has sold his 53 reg astra 1.6 16v ecoshrek as hes fed up with eml light on and dam sensors playing up.... and has took a shine to a 2.5 ghia x manual with st bodykit................ just deciding what he wants that one or a 2.0i 16v with st kits....

However, check the muddy funk outta this!

P1050346.jpg

P1050348.jpg

If you had that 7 years ago, you'd have been King of the Estate.

But honestly - a fully specced ten year old V6 with airs and levvers for 400 sheets. The fact that you can buy a V6 Mark 3 Ghia X or Shitanium for under a bag is even more criminal. I bet they're lovely to waft around in as well - like a modern day Wolseley Six.

Have had several of these and they are miles better than a Vectra B. Good handling, practical, and bullet-proof engines (apart from the V6, although its not at all bad). Rust in the sills and clutches seem to be kill most of them off, as well as fuel consumption for V6s and getting ragged by council drag racers for the ST24s.

The Mk3 is also a bargain, but the TDCI engines don't last anything like the older TDs - lots of spares/repair ones out there. I recommend the petrol ones for a simple old bus.

Mr B - that is an absolute stunner for £400! :D