Are the Mk2 Mondeo the new uber banger?

sierraman

I have a 2.0 GLX saloon, I bought it at 2 years old with 80K on the clock from where I work, I have now owned it for 14 years. I took it off the road in July 2015 when the MOT ran out as I didn't think it would pass and bought another car to use as a daily.

It sat festering at the end of the drive for a few months while I decided what to do with it, I then welded on a pair of sills and put in another spare wheel well and welded in some replacement rear wheel arches and it went straight through its MOT again last September and is now back on the road, all this work on a couple of hundred quid car, some of you will question why I did this, the rest of you will understand.

The car is now on 154K, still has its original exhaust, its original battery died when it was off the road and the clutch is still the original although it is very high and can slip if provoked.

The sills rot at the rear and under the B post where there is an inner  reinforcement panel / box. The sills are easy to replace spot welded along the bottom flange and I seam welded along the top under the line of the weatherstrip so the join can't be seen. The seals on the rear light units harden and start to let in water and fill the spare wheel well which can then rot out like on my car. Another intermittent problem on my car is the control module for the ABS / Traction control sometimes has a hissy fit, the ABS and TC lights will not illuminate and it puts on the Handbrake / brake fluid level light, when it does this it blows the ABS bulb which is an LED and difficult to find.

post-17984-0-19009300-1484512007_thumb.jpg

post-17984-0-41328000-1484512119_thumb.jpg

post-17984-0-66151800-1484512203_thumb.jpg

post-17984-0-93328900-1484512312_thumb.jpg

Another intermittent problem on my car is the control module for the ABS / Traction control sometimes has a hissy fit, the ABS and TC lights will not illuminate and it puts on the Handbrake / brake fluid level light, when it does this it blows the ABS bulb which is an LED and difficult to find.

Self fixing* system for MOTs!

(ABS light staying constantly on is a fail, staying constantly off is a pass)