Jump to content

Jimblob's French Tat (mostly) - 504 progress


Recommended Posts

Posted
29 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

I poked the outlet of the fuel tank and something was obstructing it but its clear now..

my tank had a fine screen filter at the end of pickup pipe, that could've gotten blocked?

Sits right down in the recesssed part of the tank so pretty easy to clog i imagine - here's a terrible Paint illustration as i'm not great with words:

fuel_tank.jpg.33f0f5600becfd1a6773d3320443bdfa.jpg

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Yesterday I sold LDX, my mk1 Visa Club to a fellow 'shiter and on the same trip collected a very rare mk1 AX Salsa. Most Salsas are mk2 AXs, and they are all in this nice metallic blue. This was a bargain, not much above scrap value but is not in bad shape. It has been stood for 10 years but I got it running fairly easily with fresh fuel and a new filter. Drives well. Actually very very nippy! 1.1 tu engine with a carb.20260623_214602.jpg.74ea57fa0f29dc6343fb5b0124198f51.jpg20260623_202828.jpg.8791ea6dcd284091d5cb0c05760ceef5.jpg20260623_215304.jpg.a8e9edc901495e0178689ec4de14b8d1.jpg20260622_141709.jpg.a43bc64dcbb99fa4e958859c69d10210.jpg

Posted

It's not all roses. Most urgent is a repair to the windscreen surround and a replacement windscreen (already booked in). I didn't know you could do this but I took an angle grinder to the windscreen to cut out a section so I can get access to weld a bit in. Not too bad really. . .  I'm guessing something created a water trap here. Rest of the windscreen surround is ok 20260624_161057.jpg.ff01198d732f3e7e3259ba23d67e5a45.jpg

  • Like 3
Posted

Another MK I AX in these parts!  I know of one which lives in Newport Pagnell (also blue), and if memory serves @Six-cylinder has a nicely specced one as well.  Right giggle to drive, that I do remember.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Another MK I AX in these parts!  I know of one which lives in Newport Pagnell (also blue), and if memory serves @Six-cylinder has a nicely specced one as well.  Right giggle to drive, that I do remember.

I used to have mk1 AX GT as a student and it absolutely blew my mind when I took it for a test drive. The sheer responsiveness and pick up /nippiness is amazing,  due to the feather weight of these cars. Driving my Salsa last night (just briefly up and down the road) took me right back. They're so brisk even as a 1.1!

Posted
3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Another MK I AX in these parts!  I know of one which lives in Newport Pagnell (also blue), and if memory serves @Six-cylinder has a nicely specced one as well.  Right giggle to drive, that I do remember.

I believe that is Jim who had the Activa at one time. He had two, not sure if he still has the red one.

Mine is a 1988 AX 14 TRS. The lower power 1360cc engine so only 65 bhp 5 speed, goes well in such a light car. TRS is a mid spec car, but mine has had all the option boxes ticked so it has Alloy wheels, sunroof, electric front windows, central locking and met paint. Plus like all the 3 door AXs it has wine bottle holders in the front doors, that is the feature @Mrs6C likes best about an AX.

I have had this one 6 1/2 years and had a couple of MK2 before that. First a AX 11Forte then an AX 11TZX.

I worked for a Citroen dealer in 1987 when they were launched in the UK at the NEC. There were a sea of white ones and we got to take two back with us, one was a 10 the other 11 but I can't trims.

IMG_20210530_175558 broad.jpg

IMG_20200207_131522 broad.jpg

Posted
3 hours ago, Jimblob said:

I used to have mk1 AX GT as a student and it absolutely blew my mind when I took it for a test drive. The sheer responsiveness and pick up /nippiness is amazing,  due to the feather weight of these cars. Driving my Salsa last night (just briefly up and down the road) took me right back. They're so brisk even as a 1.1!

I agree 11 carb or inj go very well and you don't really need a 14. I wanted to go back to a MK1 and a 14 is what came up on here.

MK2s were much improved in terms of dashboard rattles and quality.

Posted

@Six-cylinder your 14 trs ia very smart, I love that light blue colour on any Citroen. It's an early car too. I only really wanted a mk1 AX and ideally one with the single spoke steering wheel. I wasn't really looking for one but couldn't resist. Apparently he has had quite a few plumbers trying to buy it over the last few years, obviously wanting to steal its reg! As it happens my wife runs a plumbing business so I might let her use it.

  • Like 1
Posted

I was also working at a Citroen dealer in 87, I well remember all those white launch models (all on DxxxACF number plates), they were a revelation.  I had a mk3 Capri 2.0 at the time, and it was absolutely galling how much quicker a 1.1 AX could cover ground!

Posted
On 05/06/2026 at 18:26, tooSavvy said:

My 130LSE was quick enough...

*Ate 3 starter motors [warranty] >> screeching like a cat, not failed!

4 pot calipers/t link [as Rapid]

Rubber = liquorice >> ESPECIALLY the green cloth coated heater bleed pipe (with brass cock 😮)

Fitted fan override+ lamp = good mod in summer traffic >> hot engine at the back + fan switch in rad front 🙄...

Put alloy spare up/into boot = wood rot lyke fu#k!! 😉

1685009151230.jpg

🚙💨

Been pissing around with AI to see if I can get it to do anything. 

I don't think this is *too* bad; it even had a fair (but not amazing ) stab at the signwriting behind. 
It's completely fucked the Skoda's badge, mind you. 

fa56b603-1b06-456d-bb56-75b7b2caf0ef.png

Posted

I'm also convinced that, somwhere, I have a picture of that red Visa 115CH when I saw it in Broadheath, years ago. 

Posted
21 hours ago, alcyonecorporation said:

I'm also convinced that, somwhere, I have a picture of that red Visa 115CH when I saw it in Broadheath, years ago. 

Quite likely,  it has lived in Wales for many years, that's where I picked it up from. I know of 2 roadworthy red GTis, mine and the one I used to own that I sold on. Then there's my red project car.

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

20260717_154853.jpg.69de6a4d13886c6c6a019339b8f08125.jpg20260717_154930.jpg.105024d8c6518e47a967f94ac6a56190.jpg

Decided it's time for a quick update. The AX is sorted, new windscreen,  tyres, suspension bits, few bits welded up and an MOT. I took it to the Citroen Festival on Saturday where it was parked next to the two mk1 yellow Visas I used to own. The AX is great to drive, and a lovely place to be.

20260717_154950.jpg

Posted

When I took the AX Salsa on I said that was definitely it for this year, no more cars. I still haven't done much with the Visa GTi project I bought in the autumn, and have the 504 to work on too.

However I've just realised/remembered how much I like AXs. So naturally I've just agreed to purchase the AX GT that's for sale here. Yes it needs a shit load of work and no I haven't got the time at the moment...  but it seemed too good an opportunity to pass on. AX GTs are thin on the ground and I think this one is worth saving. I hope so. It will have to wait its turn. My Visa Special is also a bit broken at the moment,  more on that soon. 

  • Like 2
  • Congratulations 1
Posted
20 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

20260717_154853.jpg.69de6a4d13886c6c6a019339b8f08125.jpg20260717_154930.jpg.105024d8c6518e47a967f94ac6a56190.jpg

Decided it's time for a quick update. The AX is sorted, new windscreen,  tyres, suspension bits, few bits welded up and an MOT. I took it to the Citroen Festival on Saturday where it was parked next to the two mk1 yellow Visas I used to own. The AX is great to drive, and a lovely place to be.

20260717_154950.jpg

That was reg near Lewes, E. Sussex. Willmoths?

Posted
5 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

That was reg near Lewes, E. Sussex. Willmoths?

It came from Tates, Portslade originally

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jimblob said:

It came from Tates, Portslade originally

Interesting. Brighton was UF or CD. AP was Lewes, later East Sussex. Looks great!

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Last week I bought the AX GT that has featured on  the For Sale page on this forum. A framed it back from Bedfordshire without drama. 20260803_134024.jpg.c74a709c9888850c79f441cf2797e528.jpg

I also have received a delivery of parts from one of the many previous owners, and the car was full of parts when I collected it. I have decided the first priority is to organise all the many parts and I have built some dedicated storage in my car port out of some spare furniture (sorry, house!) 

17860386469702072372525469544539.jpg.021100ec16496efcfe4bda645da8af51.jpg

I found some proper AX seats which have cost as much as the whole car, but I feel are essential (and hard to find) 

20260729_170853.jpg.1c37f14b91c0041c8a5ff985f0be6af1.jpg

As these monstrosities were what came with it. 20260804_191213.jpg.b2621e802b918536a9f52f9431c91c7a.jpg

(and are now free to collect if anyone wants them, they are mk2 AX seats)

The car actually fired up easily and sounds quite sweet, it is spilling coolant from thermostat and getting hot, but at least I know it will go ok once I sort that out.

So far I've emptied the car out

20260804_191232.jpg.929d1aae479a1cf6771c2b4c825c2f23.jpg

and am trying not to feel overwhelmed by all the work it needs. I have told myself to hold off doing anything on it until I have organised my garage and workshop space a bit more, and finished other jobs that are outstanding on my other cars. It's tricky though, as although that's the logical way to work, I have the enthusiasm for it at the moment and I know that is what will get it done!

 

Posted

Before I forget, the electric window only works on one side (passenger side iirc), C/L actuator only works on passenger side too, but obviously the lock works on the driver side so no issue there, and the gear linkages are the rose jointed kind and always needed adjustment but I never did it. The knack for first is to put it into first and then pull the gearstick slightly towards you, same for reverse. Bilsteins on it are fairly new (so the PO told me when I bought it). Carb very unbalanced and it does have a high lift cam so it will idle lumpy. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, Imhotep said:

Before I forget, the electric window only works on one side (passenger side iirc), C/L actuator only works on passenger side too, but obviously the lock works on the driver side so no issue there, and the gear linkages are the rose jointed kind and always needed adjustment but I never did it. The knack for first is to put it into first and then pull the gearstick slightly towards you, same for reverse. Bilsteins on it are fairly new (so the PO told me when I bought it). Carb very unbalanced and it does have a high lift cam so it will idle lumpy. 

Thanks - good info. Seemed to idle quite well, weirdly,  and was pleasantly surprised to find thge C/L working. Generally nothing is complicated and I do have a nice mk1 AX 1.1 for reference which will be handy when I put stuff back together.  I noted that I need to reroute the brake lines externally. I'll take any wins I can on this! 

Posted

@Jimblob

I have the AX brochure as pictured Jim - happy to send it on to for free ! PM me if interest ( I nearly PX'd a very tired 205 GTI against a new AX GT Beacon Motors Bristol )

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

Posted
3 hours ago, Somerset Suffolk said:

@Jimblob

I have the AX brochure as pictured Jim - happy to send it on to for free ! PM me if interest ( I nearly PX'd a very tired 205 GTI against a new AX GT Beacon Motors Bristol )

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

Yes please will pm you

  • Like 1
Posted
3 hours ago, Somerset Suffolk said:

@Jimblob

I have the AX brochure as pictured Jim - happy to send it on to for free ! PM me if interest ( I nearly PX'd a very tired 205 GTI against a new AX GT Beacon Motors Bristol )

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1155.JPG

Obviously you have to get it to the next Huntingdon Club Meet in September...

  • Jimblob changed the title to Jimblob's French Tat (mostly) - 504 progress
Posted

Focusing mainly at the moment on the 504 as I was feeling like it was time to progress it and get it on the road. Mainly this has involved sorting out the terrible running with the installation of an expensive Weber carburettor replacement kit. I think I probably could have persevered with the old Zenith but I was feeling short of time and patience, and didn't mind throwing some money at it to get it going.  20260908_144220.jpg.8056d8803858dd98011e07041dd3ce48.jpg

 

This involved swapping some bits over from the old carb first, mainly the throttle quadrant. Installed:

20260909_123704.jpg.df2283f0f7dd9265c84116c2f1733293.jpg

...and with a bit of minor adjustment,  working perfectly straight away. After a couple of short trips locally, I tackled an 80 mile round trip to pick up a job lot of parts for this car. Upon my return, lots of crap in the fuel filter but not enough to stop it running. I think the tank will need further flushing20260910_155910.jpg.a00ab96ae9a709b06737c09536483a00.jpg

Posted

Big news!! I have more French tat!! Thanks to @Tommyboy12

I think you'll recognise this Autoshite special. Pressure washer has revealed a red roof underneath black fabric paint. Actually a good quality, expensive Matts Soft Tops roof in good condition so it will be good to clean it up. 20260915_150123.jpg.d3454f181062d81d434bb774f298b4f7.jpg20260915_145949.jpg.6d32b02625f95fac017e6488316cddb2.jpg

Current plan is to try and find more of the B&Q lilac (? any clues @Weird Car)

as I kind of like it and the red seats /roof combo is growing on me too. On the hunt for a replacement front bumper too.

Pretty impressed by how generally sound it is (it's my 4th 2CV). 

  • Like 8
Posted

The actual gasp that came from me when you sent me the picture of it with a red roof!

Posted

MOG rego on the skidoo has every chance of being new from all electric garage in kings heath

Posted

MOG rego on the skidoo has every chance of being new from all electric garage in kings heath

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I sanded down the B&Q lilac paint, and painted the the wings in red oxide primer,  as a relatively quick experiment to see if I could improve it a bit. After de-gunking the oil cooler and changing a dodgy bit of fuel pipe I drove it 170 miles to and from Rustival 5. No issues and it was a lot more frugal on fuel than the 504 would have been (not helped by the front calipers sticking a bit at the moment!) 

Nice to discover points already have been replaced with a decent electronic ignition system..20260922_180315.jpg.e1f0a8358f56efe248bb1d7e393de1ed.jpg20260922_150135.jpg.a69790fca0bca4ed7e7afaee0255f6ab.jpg20260925_144639.jpg.1e3d3e01f7ed6b28d4518f9b60cff2d1.jpg20260925_180152.jpg.e522f1288a8050bcba868ec7fa017a05.jpg

  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...