Chaseracer's chod: French tat a speciality

chaseracer

Remember a conversation around 2009 involving man maths and you plan to chop the blingo in for a Grand Picasso with the lovely *EGS gearbox, I talked you put of it if I recall, turns out I was right as the EGS would have probably scrapped the picasso by now, meanwhile the Blingo trundles on..

You are indeed correct, Stevo.  I also drove said heap, which utterly convinced me to keep the Blingo.

Glad I did.

The crack in the Blingo's screen - which FPB7 and I watched progress all the way to Trollhattan and back last year - seems to be on the move again.  It headed toward the passenger wiper arc, then did an abrupt 90deg turn north.  

It wasn't a fail point pre-MOT rules change; has this changed?

My old Teranno screen did that. It was slowly creeping downwards towards mot failure area.

One day I was driving through some long grass very slowly with no seatbelt on. I came to an immediate halt and nutted the windscreen. The crack did a complete U turn and went back to the edge of the screen and whilst not exactly fixing itself, it ran out of 'road' and ceased to be a worry. Turns out a tree stump had caught the crossmember.

I recommend this method

• 4 weeks later...

More folding has been thrown at Tame Mechanic via the medium of Blingo - and it now has a new clutch.  Valeo this time, not LUK, and the complete transformation has reminded me what a decent transmission should feel like.  

I realised also that I could hear an unfamiliar growly noise... it was the engine!  Gone was the sound of the pressure plate being eaten by a disintegrating bearing.

Brill.  Happy bunny.

More folding has been thrown at Tame Mechanic via the medium of Blingo - and it now has a new clutch. Valeo this time, not LUK, and the complete transformation has reminded me what a decent transmission should feel like.

I realised also that I could hear an unfamiliar growly noise... it was the engine! Gone was the sound of the pressure plate being eaten by a disintegrating bearing.

Brill. Happy bunny.

I could do with the details of your tame mechanic, seriously peeved with mine..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Blingo latest...

Took Musical Offspring to Guildhall on Saturday, car loaded to the Sally Gunnells as is the way during student season.  Bit sluggish down to the Smoke, put it down to the weight in the back.  And the front, Hairnet, yes...

Leaving EC1 empty, still won't accelerate from standstill or gather speed without pedal work that Fred Astaire would be proud of, so head for sister's place in Wood Green.  Better to break down where there's a meal and guaranteed good coffee than Stoke Newington High Street on a Saturday night.

Call breakdown bloke; seems fixed.

Head for home.  By Watford/M1, problem has returned but we're running so I decide to nurse it home even though we're flat out at 65.  Find myself driving it on gears and momentum like the Dyane.  Shameful bodge at Oxford services involving interlaced cable ties to keep the air intake vaguely in place.

Tame Mechanic says it could be the MAF sensor, or more likely the fault code points at the EGR valve having finally shat itself.  We shall find out tomorrow.

Blingo latest...

Took Musical Offspring to Guildhall on Saturday, car loaded to the Sally Gunnells as is the way during student season. Bit sluggish down to the Smoke, put it down to the weight in the back. And the front, Hairnet, yes...

Leaving EC1 empty, still won't accelerate from standstill or gather speed without pedal work that Fred Astaire would be proud of, so head for sister's place in Wood Green. Better to break down where there's a meal and guaranteed good coffee than Stoke Newington High Street on a Saturday night.

Call breakdown bloke; seems fixed.

Head for home. By Watford/M1, problem has returned but we're running so I decide to nurse it home even though we're flat out at 65. Find myself driving it on gears and momentum like the Dyane. Shameful bodge at Oxford services involving interlaced cable ties to keep the air intake vaguely in place.

Tame Mechanic says it could be the MAF sensor, or more likely the fault code points at the EGR valve having finally shat itself. We shall find out tomorrow.

Unlike!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Blingo due to go to Tame Mechanic today.  Started, ticked over - but otherwise not remotely interested in useful forward motion.  I may just have been a bit fortunate to get back from the Smoke at the weekend...

TM convinced it's the EGR valve, so he now has the spare key to deal with it while I take Domestic Management to/from hospital appointments in the DS3.