Live FTP

sdkrc

I broke down last week as well. Fuel gauge said I had a quarter of a tank but was empty.  More empty promises than Theo Walcott.

Oddly enough my sister wasn't able to make the funeral because she broke down this morning. 

Not eaten in 8hrs but I have half a pack of olives and coconut water.

Some week!

been-married-less-than-48-hours-and-this-is-a-text-my-wife-v0-5id1b7cyey6d1.jpeg.a82672d3246cc0963fdf8e52f2c98d70.jpeg

Recovery to my house was gonna be multiple legs and would've meant a longer wait at the roadside. Since it was a 6 mile job I got recovered within an hour. 

Also, it's just a duff battery

• Like 4

Hope the alternator is ok! I could have run you over a Clio battery last night but it might not have been big enough for an olde diesel engine.

Home and alive!

Got stumped by this battery clamp. Not quite 13mm but also not quite 12mm. I refused to purchase a spanner from Halfords so hit it with WD-40 and a screwdriver and just ragged it out and drove home with a looseish battery. 

Halfords relieved me of £100. 

14.7v with the car running, 12.9v with the car off so alternator probably* not fucked. 

Reckon I had 4-5miles of warning of the battery being toast. Couple of random warning lights then rapidly dimming lights, then cutting out. All of that in the arse end of nowhere at 11pm. 

signal-2024-07-01-08-17-09-166.jpg

• Like 3

I think you might have a bigger issue than just the battery.  With the engine running, a battery can be completely* fucked and the car still drive just fine.  The alternator will keep the battery voltage up and it won't be until you come to start the car again that you find the battery can't cope.  Have you kept the old battery?  I think it will take charge and be ok.

I suspect very much that your alternator brushes are worn down to almost nothing.  The alternator went off charge, and the battery died, hence the FTP.

Transporting the car to halfords and a hot/cold cycle has knocked/shocked the brushes so that they are now on the slip rings again, hence providing charge.

Keep a very close eye on the battery voltage for the next few weeks.  I suspect you'll find the battery goes off-charge again at some point, and if it is the brushes/slip rings that fail, you don't get a warning lamp (as the brushes/sliprings are part of the circuit to illuminate the lamp)

Also, that bolt is a 13mm with sufficient rust to make it smaller.  Try a 1/2" spanner, as that is 12.7mm

That battery clamp is a bastard! I remember that from when the ex's meriva did the same with its battery one day. I drove somewhere fine, then when I went to leave it was stone dead. Luckily I'd gone to Amy's uncles so we put a meter on the battery and confirmed it was fucked, jumped the car and confirmed voltage was being provided and off I went to get a new battery (home to order one) 🤷🎲

Was fine* ever after (or I never checked again at least and it never did it again (the starter span over faster than I'd ever heard it before during our ownership afterwards too) 

If it's anything like my Golf mk5 GTI, the alternator is standard on loads of other VAG models (from A4 diesels to little Fabia petrols). I think I paid £25 for a second hand genuine Bosch alternator off eBay.