Scudo in FTP shock - now back together!

djoptix

I did have a cursory look on FB for local breakers but nothing popped up. Decision made, 1.5 helicoil kit ordered, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the lower mount fixed and back in place ready for whenever the new top mount arrives.

• Like 2

• djoptix changed the title to Scudo in FTP shock - awaiting Helicoilage

Interestingly* Brother in Law's Citroen Dispatch thing did the same, engine mount collapsed. I would have gone with your 'garage fucked it up' theory but the fact his did it as well suggests maybe it's a weak point...?

2 hours ago, djoptix said:

I did have a cursory look on FB for local breakers but nothing popped up. Decision made, 1.5 helicoil kit ordered, should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the lower mount fixed and back in place ready for whenever the new top mount arrives.

The pull-it-yourself breaker up in Yate (if it's still there) often had a lot of older stuff lying around. Might just get lucky.

I'm now scared for my engine mount. Its been off twice recently (in the last 8 months ish) to do cambelt and also another job on pipework behind engine that needed it canted forward for access.

Hope yours can get sorted fairly painlessly.

Must be a Fiat thing, I had to helecoil the lower half of the cylinder head on my Stilo. Just take your time and it’ll be fine. I drilled all the holes by hand using an old pillar drill chuck to hold the drill as aluminium is soft and you’re only slightly opening up the holes. Gives you lots of control. 

Luckily I've got an actual pillar drill, though I couldn't get it at a good height. Too high with the shelf thing, not high enough without.

image.png.4e6b7371e9af492d262334bbffd203dd.png

After much swearing and lubrication with WD40* I managed to drill the holes out as required. This alloy is VERY soft.

image.png.d8df66a5c50706afa9e8757b50412d16.png

*I had a shed clearout the other day. As well as throwing away my tap and die set, I also took five litres of high quality thread cutting oil over to my lockup and left it there. Hey ho

Then over to the vice for the next bit. Thrown away my tap handle so had to wind it in with an adjustable spanner - Mumbai Mechanics

image.png.bb7793278eafe9c047605ed595a22288.png

Phwoar, look at that swarfy old hole.

image.png.e8f13a47459fdbca3728893673672bcb.png

Helicoils wound in easily.

image.png.eb457c37665461cba908b2d7164d8e32.png

...and after all that I forgot to take pictures of actually fitting it, but it all went back together. I managed to use a combination of two jacks to raise and angle the engine as required, so I didn't have to resort to an engine crane.

The third hole (the one that wasn't stripped) didn't feel as positive as the other two. Perhaps I should have helicoiled all three. But it's all back together and running.

I also discovered there was hardly any oil in it, and I didn't have the correct oil, so I put some 5w-40 in (left over from Saab days) and then also some ancient Asda branded 20w50 that I realised I must have had for literally 20 years.

Poor van, it does get some abuse.

• djoptix changed the title to Scudo in FTP shock - now back together!
On 11/06/2024 at 13:48, grogee said:

Interestingly* Brother in Law's Citroen Dispatch thing did the same, engine mount collapsed. I would have gone with your 'garage fucked it up' theory but the fact his did it as well suggests maybe it's a weak point...?

It doesn't seem a very well thought out arrangement. The weight of the whole LH engine relies on three bolts in tension, into a hollow alloy part. 

It's just an arrangement of holes and threads though, all at right angles, so it wouldn't be impossible to weld a steel replacement for it if one absolutely had to.

2 hours ago, djoptix said:

Thrown away my tap handle so had to wind it in with an adjustable spanner - Mumbai Mechanics

I do think that 50% of a mechanic's skill is 'making do' or improvising. 

So often you can't get a tap handle into the area you're working in so an adjustable spanner has to do the job. Or the HBOL process is based on a clean, dry, well-lit workshop and you're on a sloping driveway in the rain. 

Anyway well done and it must feel good to have the old girl back on the road. Treated to some new oil of exactly* the correct spec, too! That'll give you another 200k miles for sure. 

• Like 1