Anybody know the owner of this Porsche?

DodgeRover

3 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

Thanks for trying I think they are the best bet now. I'm very disappointed that the police can't even be bothered to try and make contact with the owner.

As am I. Surprised i'm not though. 

Talking of law and order tugging it somewhere and keeping it safe has its risks too. Let's hope some owners club can come up with the goods. 

48 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

Complete

Complete lack of interest from the police

That is astonishing tbh, a total 'Can't be arsed'.

It would take them literally 30 seconds to look up the details and 5 minutes to send a car around to the R/O's address to check all is ok.

• Agree 3

45 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

How strange!

Can’t have a 928 being crushed for no reason!  They were Car of the Year once upon a time!

Yes, but so is the Jeep Avenger.

47 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Perhaps an email to your local MP to light a fire under their arses?

I'm not in the voting zone for the MP for that area.

Sorry can't think of the correct phrase.

10 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

There are no MPs at the moment, just candidates. If you want to shame the police into doing something, you are probably better off contacting the local media. 

I can't see that resulting in much beyond a stolen/vandalised Porsche :(

Honestly, I would pick the thing up, move it to somewhere you can store it at no or minimal cost, and continue the efforts to trace the owner. If anyone says 'you tried to steal it', I think continued efforts to trace the owner, contact the police, be REALLY BLOODY OBVIOUS and not with fake ID or anything, would soon deal with that, and with any luck the owner will reappear and retrieve their lost property from you and perhaps be grateful enough to cover some of the costs involved. It's a transaxle RWD car so the drive wheels and parking brake are on the same axle - lifting the rear onto a towing dolly and fitting blocks or clamps to stop the front wheels from trying to steer against the lock would be fine to move it a short distance and out of risk of being towed or uplifted by council goons (who I have seen drag a car with a locked handbrake up a beavertail with the bumpers bending against the rope, in the past).

If it were in my area I'd already have done this, openly, and if there were a lamppost near where the car was I'd have laminated a sign and cable tied it saying "Your Porsche was at risk of getting lifted by the council and crushed, so I've moved it since we couldn't trace you. Email me on (make a new gmail) and you can arrange collection. I'm a private individual who didn't want to see a fellow car enthusiast lose their car if something had happened to them"

5 minutes ago, RichardK said:

I can't see that resulting in much beyond a stolen/vandalised Porsche :(

Honestly, I would pick the thing up, move it to somewhere you can store it at no or minimal cost, and continue the efforts to trace the owner. If anyone says 'you tried to steal it', I think continued efforts to trace the owner, contact the police, be REALLY BLOODY OBVIOUS and not with fake ID or anything, would soon deal with that, and with any luck the owner will reappear and retrieve their lost property from you and perhaps be grateful enough to cover some of the costs involved. It's a transaxle RWD car so the drive wheels and parking brake are on the same axle - lifting the rear onto a towing dolly and fitting blocks or clamps to stop the front wheels from trying to steer against the lock would be fine to move it a short distance and out of risk of being towed or uplifted by council goons (who I have seen drag a car with a locked handbrake up a beavertail with the bumpers bending against the rope, in the past).

If it were in my area I'd already have done this, openly, and if there were a lamppost near where the car was I'd have laminated a sign and cable tied it saying "Your Porsche was at risk of getting lifted by the council and crushed, so I've moved it since we couldn't trace you. Email me on (make a new gmail) and you can arrange collection. I'm a private individual who didn't want to see a fellow car enthusiast lose their car if something had happened to them"

I honestly wouldn't do that you're potentially committing a crime at your own cost. What happens if you can't identify the owner and you're stuck with it paying for storage for it or worse it's stuck on your drive.? What happens if the owner turns out to be an arsehole and trys to make out they knew it was there all along and you stole it?

I think trying to identify the owner by the means DodgeRover is doing is the right approach. 

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I honestly wouldn't do that you're potentially committing a crime at your own cost. What happens if you can't identify the owner and you're stuck with it paying for storage for it or worse it's stuck on your drive.? What happens if the owner turns out to be an arsehole and trys to make out they knew it was there all along and you stole it?

I think trying to identify the owner by the means DodgeRover is doing is the right approach. 

The thing is, I have done this before - though the authorisation was 'if that isn't taken out of our private car park we're getting it scrapped'

I agree that DodgeRover's approach is the correct one, but it's also the one that if the council REALLY is going to uplift the car after a period of time (that they haven't disclosed?) doesn't address the potential for someone to uplift and destroy the car.

Which would be a bit of a shame, and a less welcome outcome for the owner.

I'm not suggesting moving it to somewhere with paid storage, or hiding it in a barn - even 'moving it to a different street with unrestricted parking' to reset the counter on the location and council's awareness of the car would be sufficient.

10 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I might apply for the v5. Worst case scenario, I lose £25, best case scenario free 928.

Much as tempting, i think in that instance you would be very much seen as trying to steal it and be in 'teh trubles'

Just now, HillmanImp said:

I might apply for the v5. Worst case scenario, I lose £25, best case scenario free 928.

The registered keeper is not the legal owner, so I suspect you'd just get some bonus fines. Now, moving it onto an open driveway and waiting six years...

• Like 2

Wasn't there a similar case to this a few years ago when a Chapron Citroen was apparently abandoned in London? Someone did rescue it and if memory serves, it belonged to Peter Cook (Pete & Dud) who was in America. Someone with a less addled brain will probably be able to straighten this out.

9 minutes ago, RichardK said:

The registered keeper is not the legal owner, so I suspect you'd just get some bonus fines. Now, moving it onto an open driveway and waiting six years...

I did have a Google to see if anyone was reported to have been sent down that was registered to that street but the closest I could find was a lad up by the train station who was sent down for 14yrs for drugs offences, along with a knobend I used to work with at the Horse and Groom in Patching. 

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/major-drugs-gang-sentenced-to-78-years-imprisonment/

I mean if it is his, you're good keeping it for that long as he ain't coming out soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I reckon as best intended it is, lifting it is just going to lead to a world of shit when as is Sod’s Law it’s reported stolen. Unfortunately if someone wants to let it get towed away or rot at the side of the road that’s their choice really. It’s not exactly an impossibly rare car, it’d be a waste if it got baled but what can you do. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

This is asking for trouble, imo.  Obtaining V5 by false pretences, or similar.

Even if you were prepared to risk it, the DVLA will write to the registered keeper, allow time for a reply, and by the time the V5 is issued the car will be long gone.   And you'll probably get the bill for crushing it!

A few polite door to door enquiries is the way to go.   Most folks are happy to talk.  If that doesn't get a result then you've done all you reasonably can.  It's not worth getting in any deeper.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Mr Pastry said:

Even if you were prepared to risk it, the DVLA will write to the registered keeper, allow time for a reply, and by the time the V5 is issued the car will be long gone.   And you'll probably get the bill for crushing it!

A few polite door to door enquiries is the way to go.   Most folks are happy to talk.  If that doesn't get a result then you've done all you reasonably can.  It's not worth getting in any deeper.

I was just kidding. Last thing I need is another Porsche I can't afford to run. 😂 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Disclaimer: Not UK national nor living in the UK. This is from the stuff I've read online as the subject was interesting to me before this thread.

Wouldn't that give the proper owner a "take a look at your car" call? Additionally, you'd have the previous owner's info on V5 allowing you to tell him that the council wants to tow his car / you have his car and want to give it back to him (cross out the wrong option).

If you actually wanted the car, isn't there a "reasonable attempts to locate the owner" threshold that needs to be passed before you can claim it as yours? There's that story of a guy that claimed E24 from the council garage. He really wanted to give it back, but couldn't get a hold of the owner, so he ended up keeping it. 

I'm pretty sure the V5 no longer shows previous owner information due to GDPR.

To counter a point further up, the legal definition of theft appears to be "the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive the other of it"

IANAL but if you take reasonable steps to show that you are keeping it safe for the owner and can demonstrate you are taking action to contact them, I don't see how you could be guilty of theft. 

8 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

The answer to the two points above is no I'm afraid.

Doesn't filling V62 notify the current registered keeper that someone has applied for V5 for his car? If I got a letter in the mail saying "someone wants to register your car in his name" I'd probably go check what my car is doing. 

I seem to recall reading that people in the UK have claimed abandoned cars. Was that illegal as well, just proper owners not bothering? 

To apply for a duplicate V5C online or by telephone you must be the registered keeper. Source: DVLA.

In order to claim an 'abandoned' vehicle - a claimant would need to go through the proper legal steps. Take legal advice before proceeding.

The road to hell (or indeed heaven) is paved with good intentions.

1 hour ago, IronStar said:

Disclaimer: Not UK national nor living in the UK. This is from the stuff I've read online as the subject was interesting to me before this thread.

Wouldn't that give the proper owner a "take a look at your car" call? Additionally, you'd have the previous owner's info on V5 allowing you to tell him that the council wants to tow his car / you have his car and want to give it back to him (cross out the wrong option).

If you actually wanted the car, isn't there a "reasonable attempts to locate the owner" threshold that needs to be passed before you can claim it as yours? There's that story of a guy that claimed E24 from the council garage. He really wanted to give it back, but couldn't get a hold of the owner, so he ended up keeping it. 

I’m fairly sure if the owner came out of the woodwork he could claim it back. But then people pass away regularly with no family etc. Near us there was a house where the owner passed that was left empty for a decade while some dispute between families roared on. Not sure what happened to be honest but someone lives in it now.