Oh no, not ANOTHER one! 18/02/24 Topless french totty!

ruffgeezer

So it started, as it often does, with a perusal of all the cheapish, localish, broken shit that was on ebay.

This one wasn't listed cheaply and I'd left my gambling pants at home, so I settled for a different approach.  A conversation with the seller via messages and a promise to view promptly if it didn't sell via the auction.

You forget these little asides, dont you?  You have these conversations fairly secure in the knowledge that most of the people on eBay are fine, upstanding, folk who wouldn't dream of pulling a seller's pisser when it comes to something like selling a car?

Well now, imagine my surprise* when less than an hour after the auction finished, the only bidder pulled out of the purchase.   The car's owner, Scott, was good enough to get back in touch and offer me a viewing of the car.

05.thumb.jpg.52c6a8064a9ea5dd6a5887e555dbedfd.jpg

There are one or two marks on the paintwork,  but it looks very well on it's miles.  The interior is very clean and a testament to the owner's late brother who has kept the car neat and tidy, but there is of course to be done or it probably wouldn't interest me at all!

04.thumb.jpg.3fb346dc16429b0411842141a3a85f77.jpg

To do:

• Replace the battery and collect the car.
  • MOT - last years advisories for rear discs & pads and both front arm bushes.
  • Service - unused for at least a year.
  • Roof inoperative - the biggun - but I like a challenge.

There will doubtless be more as I work through the car, but it's a rare hen in that it's a 2.0 diesel with 6 speed box, full heated leather and auto lights/ wipers.  Definately the right time of year to be getting into something like this I reckon.

03.thumb.jpg.413c1d705338190a852fd6e27c7c3dc4.jpg

s-02.thumb.jpg.4af61a9b1b52b5ddc5d4602311ab0a17.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.61b16a0d01bc910a756c04d7436f0cca.jpg

Very good spec and spot on the right time of year to purchase, ready to fix and bang out when the sun comes up.

Bought a ‘non runner’ A4 myself two weeks ago for scrap money from eBay with exactly the same idea.

Unfortunately, I fixed it too quick and the Mrs decided she likes the look of it… 🤨

IMG_1981.thumb.jpeg.dc4806b612b562ddca1679e8c5d71749.jpeg

It’s now taxed and sat on the driveway 😂

By the way, @ruffgeezer, not trying to teach egg sucking to granny but I’ve had two of these with roof ‘issues’ and both have been the microswitch activated by the luggage protector in the boot. Nice simple fix if it is…

Looks great that, we like these and have had 307 and 308 cc's, the inop roof could well be the boot blind switch as above.

It's Friday, it's pissing with rain and I'm going to be working tonight.

Perfect morning for a collection then?

Breakfast - 0

PC -1

Bemused doggos - 2

IMG-20240208-WA0003.thumb.jpeg.3a55863b179413b6f01aa649ffa3797a.jpeg

I might send this to Peugeot to use as a press shot!

20240209_101646.thumb.jpg.3df7f715d58092af64897c42a00b3a85.jpg

ABS light came on as soon as it started moving, @RoverFolkUs do you know if these have the same shit setup on the back as the 307 where the sensors tilt over?

So the roof is inoperative and occasionally flashes a "Complete roof function immediately " warning.  I'll try out the Lexia I got from @reb and see what it has to say for itself.

Home safely,  a bit of wobble on the front end perhaps wheel balance.

20240209_103941.thumb.jpg.26efd8bce3dd81aa8a79e41ed1735802.jpg

I'll start working through it when the weather improves.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

ABS light came on as soon as it started moving, @RoverFolkUs do you know if these have the same shit setup on the back as the 307 where the sensors tilt over?

I don't think so unfortunately, thats the same as modern Berlingos and C4GPs as well, anything with the design of sensor that hovers over the pickup rather than inserted into the bore tends to flag up above 25mph or so in my experience? 

If it's coming on immediately after moving then that would suggest to me that one of the sensors has gone completely dead

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I don't think so unfortunately, thats the same as modern Berlingos and C4GPs as well, anything with the design of sensor that hovers over the pickup rather than inserted into the bore tends to flag up above 25mph or so in my experience? 

If it's coming on immediately after moving then that would suggest to me that one of the sensors has gone completely dead

Thanks, Is this new enough to have magnetic wheel bearing rather than the reluctor rings?  I'd have though a cunted sensor would have flagged up as soon as the ignition went on?

11 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Thanks, Is this new enough to have magnetic wheel bearing rather than the reluctor rings?  I'd have though a cunted sensor would have flagged up as soon as the ignition went on?

This is a 207 isn't it? I always get them confused even by looking at them 😅

They have a wheel bearing, ABS reluctor (sperate from wheel bearing), wheel hub and disc combined unit on the back. It's a bit of a pain because it means a disc and pad change is expensive! However I've never seen a reluctor ring fail on these, probably because it's not part of the wheel bearing and it's not subjected to corrosion like an old fashioned toothed ring

Usually they will flag up a code for "no signal from x wheel" when it reads zero, rather than a sensor circuit code. Not sure exactly why but it's just one of their many eccentricities

The sensor air gap mainly has an effect at higher speeds. Obviously it could be a wiring fault but if you scan it for codes and check live data I imagine you'll find it's a sensor that's died

image.thumb.png.3b0831ba201e4c05a663e95dd7884d6a.pngHopefully you can make out the magnetic pickup behind the hub, around the stub axle/bearing hole (technical term need not apply) :)

I'm also going to have to look into the wiring diagrams as the NSF window doesn't work from either the roof master switch or the driver's door switch, so I wonder if the signal wire to the door module is broken.

It's the 308 hence I wasn't sure if it had the same setup as it's predocessor.

11 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

I'm also going to have to look into the wiring diagrams as the NSF window doesn't work from either the roof master switch or the driver's door switch, so I wonder if the signal wire to the door module is broken.

It's the 308 hence I wasn't sure if it had the same setup as it's predocessor.

Ah, I got that wrong then! What did I say 😅

I would have seen the badge if I scrolled up a bit 🤣

308s of that era also have the same setup as the 207 anyway

Only when the new shape came along with electronic handbrake did they finally ditch it. 

Does the passenger window work from the passenger switch? I assume so?

Yes the window works fine on the one touch switch on the passenger door, so I can't yet see the mileage in replacing the drivers switch as the master doesn't work it either.  That being said, I do have a drivers door switch from a lesser 207 that might work for testing purposes?

Regarding the roof issue - PSA stuff tends to have it's electronic systems go senile in exciting ways if presented with a weak battery.  So I'd suggest at the very least ensuring that is fully charged, and maybe test by substitution if you have a spare.  While you're at it go through a full BSI reset procedure as I've seen just that sort several faults on these before.

[] Turn car off, open driver's window (so you can get to the ignition) and bonnet.  

[] Close all doors.

[] Wait at least 5 minutes for all vehicle systems to go to sleep.

[] Disconnect battery.

[] Wait a minimum of 10 minutes.

[] Reconnect battery.

[] Wait 5 minutes.

[] Turn ignition on, do not start engine.

[] Wait 1 minute.

[] Start engine and resume using vehicle as normal.  

You *shouldn't* need to re-sync keys or anything after this, but it's worth reading up on how to do that just in case.

Seconding the change the battery thing. Our one has been playing up for years with all the lights and various faults and I was hoping it would just die and fuck off and finally get out of my life because I hate it, but when I replaced the battery a few weeks ago all the problems went away and none of the lights or faults have come back on (yet). 

Yeah I swapped a good battery on to it but I've never seen anything lose a window control completely.

Thanks for all the input, I've a night on the trainset tonight in which to conduct more research. 

The windows are part of the roof procedure so if part of its gone zombie and isn't sending a response back that might be causing it to weird out.

Unplug it and plug it back in again

I'm told a complete left hand regulator is awaiting my return home, from my research this should fix the loss of communication with the lh door motor.  I've now got Lexia running on an old laptop (thanks @reb) and cannot control it via the BSI.  Anyhow, we'll see how it goes when attached.

Chucked the regulator on, the window now works from all switches. 

The roof tries in that I can hear the pump running  but it only seems to release one of the catches on the boot lid.

More investigation soon,  only on code in the diagbox e8b1 which seems to relate to the opening operations timing out.

• Like 2