Rover P4 110 - Gone

SiC

3 minutes ago, barrett said:

Crikey, did you see this?

s-l1600.jpg

Obviously it's already sold but it looks basically fine. Proof they're still out there for reasonable money, I guess

No I must have missed it! 😭

Where was it on?

5 hours ago, barrett said:

I stopped browsing eBay recently to reduce the chance of me buying something else. Probably a good thing as I would have ended up buying that!

However that said, it does appear to need welding and probably end up like my Midget pretty quickly. 

I'll just have to keep my eye out for another when I've cleared the decks a bit. 

5 hours ago, barrett said:

Crikey, did you see this?

s-l1600.jpg

Obviously it's already sold but it looks basically fine. Proof they're still out there for reasonable money, I guess

That's silly cheap for a Frogeye. I'd imagine whoever bought it whisked it away on a trailer a as quickly as humanly possible before the owner realised they could have added a few more £k to the price. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I'd imagine whoever bought it whisked it away on a trailer a as quickly as humanly possible before the owner realised they could have added a few more £k to the price. 

May not necessarily have been bought by a human, then...

download.jpeg.4831f7a8737016525dc4c09538052810.jpeg

Smug cetacean bastard.

13 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That's silly cheap for a Frogeye. I'd imagine whoever bought it whisked it away on a trailer a as quickly as humanly possible before the owner realised they could have added a few more £k to the price. 

It is a good price considering it looks all together but not a super fantastic price. This one was hanging around for a while:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394479221610

Started at £5995 and went down to £4995. Presumably it's now sold and probably less than £4995. 

Panels are expensive for the Frogeye. The MK1/Mk2 Midget/Sprite have many different parts from the later cars.

What I find is that many buyers of these cars seem to want to jump in and go. So restoration projects go for considerably less. Likewise Mini MK1 is a £10k+ car when sorted and nice. As a project they struggle to get £5k. 

Took the day off work yesterday to get a whole lot of bits and pieces sorted on the Rover.

The choke warning light came back to life on its own.
110c447920f409358821c8c0db573fcf.jpg

Bled the brakes. Not easy when you're on your own (wife at work). So used a clamp to hold the brake pedal in probably not the official Rover workshop manual way. Nice rock solid pedal now that gives a fair bit of confidence.

Handbrake holds with three clicks. Strong enough to stall the engine at fast idle when on axle stands. Don't want to fiddle with it as it is more than good enough.
b2a86c42eaceb9d6d7ce803ef5f01cae.jpg

Fixed a fair bit of wiring. Mostly broken crimps. Brake warning light still doesn't work though annoyingly. Bulb is fine in the dash so must be a wiring issue.
e6d7e906ea078d0eea9cef8fc3323845.jpg
cb83ab42a1ab9c7084695b2263bb4b00.jpg
829b5620a6649b3deba32dd8ebc0f5f5.jpg
3693325ca9c8bf16ee381376ed1b7569.jpg

Emptied the Wipac fuel bowl of sediment. Filled back up again once I hit the reserve switch on the tank! Is there supposed to be a filter in this?
67ee2f0f1ca5bea47c5292abc3156ac7.jpg

Cleaned the Carb out. Full of brake fluid at the bottom from the previous duff servo. No wonder it was smoking so much. Leaned the mixture out a full turn.
c44629e3766d3e9fba27568a6dbdb1b2.jpg

Inspected the brakes. In extremely good condition. Discs look almost brand new with no lip. Rear cylinders are dry (thankfully!) and drum looks almost unworn. However the shoes probably need replacing at some point in the future. Good enough for the few miles I'll be doing in it though.
c9cce75a7b0110e614b6df842b7c8e14.jpg
c0ea2a8065eef73e3e77bad283fff885.jpg
16afefeed6566c498af2cfcc33982462.jpg
b858ffd5228d6a67e7982d1e965f2e44.jpg
fbb8ad7abcbe0b6caa036175820d4298.jpg
44cc5b872fa0b26ea92043ba2440e0cc.jpg
f3de44aa0acfc957c55de2c4b47c0ff9.jpg

Reattached the fuel pump mounting bracket. Also tightened up the electrical connection nuts. So loose I'm surprised it worked. Squished the spade connectors with pilers to improve their bite.
b52f08f60abf330db29be29b74b2f712.jpg
82aacbf5e4e639af7152916fe4d5a4a4.jpg

Battery terminals were loose. Battery looks the wrong size too as the hold down clamps don't touch. What is the recommended size? Dynamo regulator needs some love as over charging.
21732b13943dbb2b840676bd06818f87.jpg

Removed the rusty bumpers ready for painting. Fiddlier than it should have been due to someone previously welding part of the bumper irons together.
7eac854908f82b16bc3274cb64ecbd81.jpg
52229f70b79de317e76bf887816f157a.jpg

Fixed the washer pump. Missing a bit of plastic between the motor and the pump. So I used a piece of heat shrink to make the connection. Works well!
627b6bc6464a0797f5272be4e0cd9dfa.jpg

Dynamo charge warning light not working was simply the bulb holder had fallen off the dash. Also fixed some suspect previous repairs on the panel lamps. In touching the dash, naturally it generated new problems with the light switch appears to have started playing up.
a7e699514c557fcd0828f7fc4734022f.jpg

The dash has two screws holding it on at the top and a hinge at the bottom for it to open. Very nifty!
fe58d93189e1eac2577576cd26420ebd.jpg
01ea1831768dfa88bda744c15e188d18.jpg

Hopefully I'm now ready for a test drive and a short run out to build confidence.

Yeah I saw that online when I bought mine. Not far from me so would have been easy for me to see it. Shows how long it's been on for. He doesn't mention the big dent in the bonnet, so you have to wonder what else he hasn't mentioned about. 

Key thing on these really is the chassis is good and that the body is still attached to it. They're made of really thick steel so if it is gone, then it is going to need an awful lot of work as elsewhere hidden is likely even worse. 

Parts wise there is all the major things available. Reasonable panel support as well.

Neat little engineering touches you spot as you work on them. From that hinged dash for easy access to the wheel nuts that are beveled both sides so it doesn't matter which way you put them on. 

Crikey! I knew the P4 and especially disc equipped P4 had good brakes but these rival modern cars for their stopping power!

Took the old girl for a quick run on our road outside our house and nearly ended through the windscreen when I gave them a prod.

Engine running okay. Feels a bit stumbly but that might be because it wasn't up to temperature and I'd already put the choke in. Accelerator pedal linkage might need some love as the idle speed is different every time you let off the pedal.

I would have liked to gone further but I remembered that I took the bumper off with the number plate yesterday. Not that many other drivers on the road seem to worry about that...

Also with the nicer weather it appears to be dickhead central on the roads today. Three close calls in my modern car with people pulling out in front of me, bad overtaking (even though I was at the speed limit) and impatience (someone drove on a grass verge at speed to get around me waiting to turn right). Right now I hear an organ donor screaming away in the distance on their motorbike.

So maybe tomorrow evening when the roads are quieter.
8ae2a038b42d9a93bf033345a9b0162b.jpg

33 minutes ago, SiC said:

Crikey! I knew the P4 and especially disc equipped P4 had good brakes but these rival modern cars for their stopping power!

Took the old girl for a quick run on our road outside our house and nearly ended through the windscreen when I gave them a prod.

Engine running okay. Feels a bit stumbly but that might be because it wasn't up to temperature and I'd already put the choke in. Accelerator pedal linkage might need some love as the idle speed is different every time you let off the pedal.

I would have liked to gone further but I remembered that I took the bumper off with the number plate yesterday. Not that many other drivers on the road seem to worry about that...

Also with the nicer weather it appears to be dickhead central on the roads today. Three close calls in my modern car with people pulling out in front of me, bad overtaking (even though I was at the speed limit) and impatience (someone drove on a grass verge at speed to get around me waiting to turn right). Right now I hear an organ donor screaming away in the distance on their motorbike.

So maybe tomorrow evening when the roads are quieter.

What do you reckon then Si? Never driven a big old car, I'm more versed in little Austins, Scimitars, Gilbert's and the like. So nimble stuff I suppose. What's it like on the road? I'm imagining solid feel and adequate power. But then I'm shit with words. Give us the full Chris Goffey pal

1 minute ago, Matty said:

What do you reckon then Si? Never driven a big old car, I'm more versed in little Austins, Scimitars, Gilbert's and the like. So nimble stuff I suppose. What's it like on the road? I'm imagining solid feel and adequate power. But then I'm shit with words. Give us the full Chris Goffey pal

Not sure yet as I've only gone up and down the road outside my house!

But on the short run I've given it, I can see why people say it's like navigating a yacht. Little feel through the steering box setup. Up high on a squidgy seat. Wallows on bumps with the long throw on the suspension. Gear change isn't to be rushed. No seat belt means you get thrown around a bit. I might install seat belts to be honest. Being a millennial, I've only known wearing belts and I feel naked without one. 

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Not sure yet as I've only gone up and down the road outside my house!

But on the short run I've given it, I can see why people say it's like navigating a yacht. Little feel through the steering box setup. Up high on a squidgy seat. Wallows on bumps with the long throw on the suspension. Gear change isn't to be rushed. No seat belt means you get thrown around a bit. I might install seat belts to be honest. Being a millennial, I've only known wearing belts and I feel naked without one. 

Know what you mean about belts. I grew up in the 80s when they were still viewed as an option by many. When I was little we only had my dad's van and my mum would put the pram in the back, brakes on and me in the fucker and drive round like that. Imagine that now 😳 

The fuel bowl might have a mesh disc in the cast part of the body, or it might be relying on a mesh tube where the fuel connects to the carburettor, or both.  Or it might be the type that's supposed to have a little mesh thimble in the filter that's since gone away.

Belts were first required to be fitted from January 1965 in UK cars - though there was no requirement to wear them.

A lot of manufacturers engineered in seat belt mounting points in vehicles prior to '65. Being a late model this may have mounting points already - but that notwithstanding I am sure there are lots that have been retro-fitted so the technique will be known.

Personally IMHO I would not drive without a belt - the steering wheels in these Rovers are pretty unforgiving...

33 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Personally IMHO I would not drive without a belt - the steering wheels in these Rovers are pretty unforgiving...

Non collapsing steering columns are quite frightening when you take one out and it dawns on you there's a jousting pole pointing in your chest! :tired:

You might, and I repeat, might, just have the mounting points already fitted by the factory. I know my old P5 had them fitted front and rear! I was quite pleasantly surprised to find them there. Made fitting rear seatbelts much simpler. 

9 minutes ago, 2flags said:

You might, and I repeat, might, just have the mounting points already fitted by the factory. I know my old P5 had them fitted front and rear! I was quite pleasantly surprised to find them there. Made fitting rear seatbelts much simpler. 

Yeah I believe this age do from what I've read:

https://www.quickfitsbs.com/PDFs/rover_p4.pdf

Probably requires cutting the a-pillar trim and a bit of hunting.

I've got a Securon seatbelt kit that should fit spare here too.

Refurbishing/improving my very rusty bumpers
So far done a flap disc, wire wheel and abrasive pad.
Actually quite tempted to call it quits here and lacquer it to stop it flash rusting over!
I have run out of lacquer though which is annoying as I wanted to get the bumpers back on today to give it a spin.
2775f70735fcd1641050a1cca42ba396.jpg
9ee352d784a228668bd0e9a061c73322.jpg
4b5d7f37638afd1d5b3138d43be4cbc5.jpg
fb7a39f33cdd16259ee8fdf8fb513bb7.jpg

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Yeah I believe this age do from what I've read:

https://www.quickfitsbs.com/PDFs/rover_p4.pdf

Probably requires cutting the a-pillar trim and a bit of hunting.

I've got a Securon seatbelt kit that should fit spare here too.

My Minor (which is January '59) hasn't got a fixing point on its pillar but I saw this ''solution'' recently.

FB_IMG_1667723992735.thumb.jpg.470b088e56e047f0312b247dd9a06529.jpg

I can't honestly remember but I think this was a convertible moggy.

20 hours ago, SiC said:

I quite like the bumperless look.

Maybe the plate could be loosely attached with hairy string.

50 minutes ago, SiC said:

fb7a39f33cdd16259ee8fdf8fb513bb7.jpg

I'm amazed those have come back so well, considering what you started with.  Definitely just try your best to protect them and re-fit them as-is. It'll be good enough for now and you can always fit a replacement bumper later on when one comes up.

I don't think you should fit seatbelts. One of the best things about an old car is not having to put a seatbelt on - you'll soon get used to it, and when you do you'll be cursing having to wear one in a your modern. Just don't crash and you'll be fine.

If you are concerned about safety, I would be very doubtful fitting belts to a car which wasn't designed to have them is actually going to make it safer - and possibly just the opposite. If you put a belt in and you do hit something, and that big rigid steering column comes shooting towards you, you're just pinning yourself into the bullseye position unable to get out the way. I'd much rather be free to slide backwards over the seat or try and push myself out of the way. Not sure It'd necessarily save me, but I think having the option is better in a car such as this. Ditto a side impact - if you're pinned to the seat in something with no side protection you're going to be in for a lot more damage then if the impact pushes you across the car, I reckon.