Jump to content

The irregular irrigations of Semi-C.


Semi-C

Recommended Posts

Alright people,
This will hopefully be where I attempt to document what is happening with the stuff that I am driving or not driving. 

I’m going to start with the newest addition as I am megastatic in my feelings about it.

75EF910B-DE8C-424B-9112-A410CC7ED0D6.thumb.jpeg.d26e9b5937f930273a7ebee200dbf676.jpeg

 I have been trying to find an S210 worth buying for a while and besides my friend’s formerly available/currently disavailable* corker, pickings were thin on the diesel front. Spotted this one circa 2130 o’clock last Saturday night and had bought it by 1300 hours Sunday. Another ULEZ victim seeking asylum, it’s a 320 cdi avantgarde and the 100 mile drive back north was a supreme experience. I feel like I’ve been tasked with looking after a diplomats car as it is the nicest condition vehicle I’ve ever had and mechanically it is investment grade, not trying to show off or owt, more just to share the burden. It does need a right good clean up, some fresh oil and a filter in the gearbox, a set of tyres would be a wise choice and then it’s just refurbish the wheels and marvel at the cupholders in the boot. Prick.

0F6B35BE-39A8-4251-9C6C-101F2E15AA4A.thumb.jpeg.a52e7c904b07e4fb463f68eecc6f4574.jpeg

* friend’s S210 is now reavailable!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I didn’t need to replace my car y’know (Bobby Chariot ©️)

FA1A375C-10B7-4825-B9CC-7E2180B318F1.thumb.jpeg.495e179e6e4fc4585036d70daee95e95.jpeg

 I have been astride this for almost exactly nearly a year, the 1998 C250TD with elegance, in factory Mercedes colours too, nice. Only bothers have been leaky ones, gearbox needed a new wiring plug and got a filter and fresh oil whilst at it and o rings on the fuel side got replaced, unshockingly faultless aside from those. Speaking of faults, the o/s/f door mirror can electrically move in some directions but not all, the o/s/r window doesn’t open, there are cosmetic scabs and the interior is not mint. Them last two could have described me at 25 so I don’t doubt this car will last at least another 16 years.

C80DE21B-58BE-4CC1-93EB-7A8D615F9C53.thumb.jpeg.6ddfb8285e3c6966d1236c1fb9d286a7.jpeg

The desire for more “redundant clutch leg” room is the only thing that has brought about it’s demotion, my lengthy foot and leg don’t appreciate the dimensions it has to offer.

2472B4E3-2249-4027-9713-EA203980CA2F.thumb.jpeg.72c13606d711484ae7d38e66dca6c3ce.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Lots of W210 content on here lately, really makes me want try one despite the potential problems with rust!

I bought an S210 E320 CDi ULEZ victim about 18 months ago, surprisingly it flew through it’s first MOT in my ownership, but failed last week on a  3” hole in the L/H rear chassis, the MOT man told me it looked easy to access, we shall see when I have a free weekend and dry weather. These cars are very impressive and fantastic value at the moment. Well bought @Semi-C I look forward to more updates and pictures. These are really great daily drivers suitable for all occasions.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who wants a reload..?..

1972 1600 GXL Cortina.

D4B2A480-5E98-497C-AB69-0167522A7592.thumb.jpeg.20d224d370efa5f4b4db4ba0935b9559.jpeg

Had this a fair while now, the realisation of a childhood dream, although not quite the white vinyl roof/evergreen of my actual dreams but close enough. 

57BEE559-BEE0-44D8-B0BA-315ED4E3ED02.thumb.jpeg.01695e9473a437e2cfaa6725dd60e428.jpeg

As all dreams must, our time together shall soon end, it’s been enjoyable improving this but a lack of use and an overbundance of other obligations conspire to keep this stood up, which makes me sad and more than a bit ashamed so hopefully I can get it sold this year and lighten the load on my self-loath-o-meter.

31479117-EC8D-4793-A2E8-23D5C9241505.thumb.jpeg.9ae101633d497da1cbd4c7cec39ddc59.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the subject of self loathing, the majority shareholder of my stocks of it is this fine slice

D6B43F63-58EF-4F66-B236-B7475285FE41.thumb.jpeg.ebf167dda8b7f23a46f47bc5ad239170.jpeg

1971 2000L Cortina estate

Off the road for several years due to a bit of rot and a shortage of workshop facilities, the panels are assembled, the guys, the guns, the limepit’s already dug. If only it was a solitary button push away from resurrection.

CA8F0777-E9E4-4855-808E-B70341C3BE97.thumb.jpeg.81a67d60f14be7c8edae5c8456837209.jpeg

 I don’t doubt it will be back on the road at some point but I can’t see it being this year.

5C27FD4C-6E92-49BD-8E10-370BE507E7D2.jpeg.47946567cf963c431a617e3201f99ee3.jpeg

In happier, less rotten times.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies for the bicycle content.
The last of my current vehicles is this 1996 GSXR 750 T (or SRAD to most)

1EBC8291-879B-4F76-9035-B0D193348375.thumb.jpeg.057a1c7f088b018b9803f5d34c2768de.jpeg
Had this for nearing 10 years and have probably ridden my bmx further in that time. I have changed little from standard, some Gilles variobars were fitted to suit my preference, they’re very discreet and very adjustable, braided brake hoses replaced the ageing originals and a manual cam chain tensioner complete the modifications. I have some Maxton kitted SRAD forks and one of their shocks to install too, just in time to realise that, like the GXL, it’s future lies in the hands of somebody new.

467BAD29-DA5D-4878-A7CE-2A5B8EF36E06.thumb.jpeg.7962c84d60c3640c6f468991225c328e.jpeg
866BF716-7FD5-4AA6-87E4-DCB158A7CB5F.thumb.jpeg.a0ed5daa5e763914b9bf46b40a2b2b4d.jpeg
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is an outstanding fleet of vehicle which you have. The GXL is beautiful and looks great in Tawny Brown. The estate also looks great, the rust does not look bad in the picture. I would find it very hard to part with the GXL but if I had to choose between that and the estate the estate would win for its practicality they really are great estate cars. The Mercedes is also great but less exciting than the Cortina’s,  an excellent economical daily driver which is great to drive, closer to a Cortina than most modern cars in my opinion which is why I am so happy with mine. I look forward to more updates, thanks for posting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2023 at 9:24 AM, Shite Ron said:

That is an outstanding fleet of vehicle which you have. The GXL is beautiful and looks great in Tawny Brown. The estate also looks great, the rust does not look bad in the picture. I would find it very hard to part with the GXL but if I had to choose between that and the estate the estate would win for its practicality they really are great estate cars. The Mercedes is also great but less exciting than the Cortina’s,  an excellent economical daily driver which is great to drive, closer to a Cortina than most modern cars in my opinion which is why I am so happy with mine. I look forward to more updates, thanks for posting.

Ta very much, I’m chuffed with the state of my automotive lineup but you can have too much of the good things and whilst I have a turn-key Cortina, I’m less motivated to attend to the knackered one.

So far I’m finding the driving of the Mercedes to be a blast, excitement levels are comparable to the Cortinas I’ve owned certainly. “Interestingly”, the last (only other) black estate car I owned was a Mk3 Cortina with a trick crossflow and a bulkhead that dissolved like Marty Mcfly playing earth angel, that was an exciting car.

DE85AB59-CDBD-4BDD-AE6E-EC69F124FE7B.thumb.jpeg.6cf98cfe82bff0500e1b3952d470a816.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Like a 1/12 scale Wham lyric, the month between my updates doesn’t surprise. 
The s210 has been providing much happiness, the gearchange has been improved with fresh oil and a new filter, it’s still a little indecisive when cold but “warms“ up much sooner now.
The tyre situation was next for addressing, the ones it came with weren’t worth remembering the name of so I haven’t, I will however remember they were a matching set of 4 and they had the grip level of a greased marble.

89B710A5-2FE4-4DE9-825D-7F59E6E4C3E2.thumb.jpeg.5177573cdcf1e2a64e8e5a71f146335b.jpeg

Uniroyal rainsport fives have been installed and they can’t fail to be an improvement.

In other news, my c250 td was bought by a local lad and Mrs -C washed the ex  @BorniteIdentity Corolla.
0C28F279-7334-4584-9084-3022B60DA30F.thumb.jpeg.f9a50311cfea83f6b466228c2f582d8e.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Coo, doesn’t time fly eh? 
Since my last update I mot’d the S210 and promptly woke up to it’s water pump failing the next day! Cue the wrong pump being provided by the local motor factors and a 2 week wait for a correct pump to arrive from Mercedes en Germany...

45684626-CFDE-4898-B724-236BE9A22D9D.thumb.jpeg.d11d95f4ff607757d2e9748be1609cfa.jpeg

Thankfully the genuine one was also the correct one so now I have my car back and the Cortina can cease its daily driver duties.

7E1C6739-7751-4841-8D39-55CCD91B3208.thumb.jpeg.23ed0c13e3636be500d45574f6317f67.jpeg

Having the GXL out for over a week of commuting was probably the longest continuous spell I’ve had using it and it did itself proud, which was enough to reassure me that it is now the time to part with it proper.  
(Cue shameless plug)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/171663672509342/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A621d7648-03ae-4a4f-8f03-ca6d4cc98002

I opened myself up to a world of stress by listing it on FB marketplace and the response has been overwhelming! I almost had an aneurysm trying to arrange viewing times with so many people that I have told all interested parties to be at my address from 0900 o’clock on Saturday 20/5 and the first person to bring out the money, buys the car. 
I’m fully prepared for nobody to turn up.

 

 

CF15A020-5FF0-4462-82B7-6A6705A294E6.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

A shame to hear the Cortina is going, that seems like a very reasonable price to me. Money going to good use in sorting the estate?

Why thank you for noticing, I want it to shift promptly so I aimed low with the price. 
I definitely need to buy a front valance for the estate car out of the money, so judging by modern prices, that’ll be 75% of it gone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/02/2023 at 22:13, Semi-C said:

On the subject of self loathing, the majority shareholder of my stocks of it is this fine slice

D6B43F63-58EF-4F66-B236-B7475285FE41.thumb.jpeg.ebf167dda8b7f23a46f47bc5ad239170.jpeg

1971 2000L Cortina estate

Off the road for several years due to a bit of rot and a shortage of workshop facilities, the panels are assembled, the guys, the guns, the limepit’s already dug. If only it was a solitary button push away from resurrection.

CA8F0777-E9E4-4855-808E-B70341C3BE97.thumb.jpeg.81a67d60f14be7c8edae5c8456837209.jpeg

 I don’t doubt it will be back on the road at some point but I can’t see it being this year.

5C27FD4C-6E92-49BD-8E10-370BE507E7D2.jpeg.47946567cf963c431a617e3201f99ee3.jpeg

In happier, less rotten times.

Was a wicked driver to shitefest that year in convoy! (bar the fucking shit traffic on the way) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Was a wicked driver to shitefest that year in convoy! (bar the fucking shit traffic on the way) 

 

Heady days, still remember it all fondly. 
Even the rotten traffic!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, trigger said:

Did the Cortina sell @Semi-C? I sold the Dolomite today and be interested if it's still about.

Unsurprisingly, only one of the “super genuine, not a messer” buyers turned up and that one only materialised because he lives 2 minutes from my house, safe to say he weren’t worth the faeces he was formed from. 
I’ve agreed to a viewing with a fellow from the midlands for this Saturday, if it’s still here after then you’re more than welcome to come and have a look, cheers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was the last day that the GXL was in my possession, it was bought by a right nice fella and will be going to live with his other Mk3 Cortina, a Mk4 Cortina and a Mk1 Capri. 
Can’t say that I am not feeling a little bit sad about it’s departure (evident from the lack of final photo...)  but I won’t be without a road going Mk3 for long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

After the departure of the GXL I was hoping to find a low-temperature groove to settle into vehicularly. 
Yeah right... 

E0466808-207A-4E8B-AFBB-2670D61E07D0.thumb.jpeg.da2ac6ffba54eb695214f738840bdcf4.jpeg
en root home from Strawberry fair, a juvenile rabbit did amble out onto the A14 & into my n/s foglight. An horrific experience for all parties involved, if you look really closely you can just about make out a tuft of fluff (sounds like a fair review of my hairline) caught in the now freshly cracked bumper, no other sign of rabbit or foglight were detected. A replacement light has been reserved from the stocks of a racer friend, choice.

In other news, the rear discs and pads of Mrs Semi’s Corolla were replaced,

92514FE6-BF98-4928-9689-38A024F1A11F.thumb.jpeg.31fc8984abc36cac277cade52a89a735.jpeg

marvellous!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

As seen in the news 24 thread, it was I that relieved @HMC of his W140 and goddamn am I glad I did. 
598C3031-C814-4654-9EEF-4766DB9BABAE.thumb.jpeg.c3c6750f82be4f2aaf80e4af2cc05859.jpeg
The collection was a fair test of any car (340ish miles from there to here) but for an ageing behemoth with a known cooling fan deficiency and all the traffic woe associated with Glastonbury weekend, it could have gone bandy.
D73F4A84-6D3E-4435-96CE-93EFFC9C9F39.thumb.jpeg.dff17757fccc5382ead6962e62e09768.jpeg

There was no need to get the fear though, it behaved impeccably, the a/c temperature sensor in the thermostat housing was disconnected and permanent auxiliary fans were activated, cool. ish.
AD8C0362-2944-47FB-8508-A5E1F3170CF7.thumb.jpeg.b412baebeef23f00f6ba7d7dfbd472c8.jpeg
All that was left to do was point it in the direction of home and bask in the ambiance for 7.5 hours. Highlights of the trip back were being overtaken by the ex @NorfolkNWeigh R reg E240 on the M5 and being waved at by several auld boys in large modern Mercs. 
9C5A3868-AC6E-42B7-9D34-7F9CBDB28953.thumb.jpeg.f8924ad99cb1fa28be543249d96104db.jpeg
Now back in the land of sugar beet, plans are to fix the viscous fan and the transmission rear oil seal, attend to the cosmetic challenges and enjoy my time aboard it.

In the words of Buddy Holly, Oh DOY!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Semi-C said:

As seen in the news 24 thread, it was I that relieved @HMC of his W140 and goddamn am I glad I did. 
598C3031-C814-4654-9EEF-4766DB9BABAE.thumb.jpeg.c3c6750f82be4f2aaf80e4af2cc05859.jpeg
The collection was a fair test of any car (340ish miles from there to here) but for an ageing behemoth with a known cooling fan deficiency and all the traffic woe associated with Glastonbury weekend, it could have gone bandy.
D73F4A84-6D3E-4435-96CE-93EFFC9C9F39.thumb.jpeg.dff17757fccc5382ead6962e62e09768.jpeg

There was no need to get the fear though, it behaved impeccably, the a/c temperature sensor in the thermostat housing was disconnected and permanent auxiliary fans were activated, cool. ish.
AD8C0362-2944-47FB-8508-A5E1F3170CF7.thumb.jpeg.b412baebeef23f00f6ba7d7dfbd472c8.jpeg
All that was left to do was point it in the direction of home and bask in the ambiance for 7.5 hours. Highlights of the trip back were being overtaken by the ex @NorfolkNWeigh R reg E240 on the M5 and being waved at by several auld boys in large modern Mercs. 
9C5A3868-AC6E-42B7-9D34-7F9CBDB28953.thumb.jpeg.f8924ad99cb1fa28be543249d96104db.jpeg
Now back in the land of sugar beet, plans are to fix the viscous fan and the transmission rear oil seal, attend to the cosmetic challenges and enjoy my time aboard it.

In the words of Buddy Holly, Oh DOY!

The bloke that bought that e240 has thrown money at it, he spent what he paid me for it just on the aircon. Hope you enjoy the 140 as much  as I  seem to enjoy every old Merc I end up with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to see another S210 and 70s Ford enthusiast. I’m soon to pickup my E430 with newly refurbished underpinnings. 
 

The E320 CDI is such a capable car on all levels, I’ve had three. Just like all other s210s they were even masters at disintegrating all by themselves!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The bloke that bought that e240 has thrown money at it, he spent what he paid me for it just on the aircon. Hope you enjoy the 140 as much  as I  seem to enjoy every old Merc I end up with.

 

It really did look several million Deutschmarks rolling past me, I think you sold it to the right fellow. As for the 140, it has already exceeded my enjoyment expectations, it’s usable without being precious about and yet it makes me feel like I’m aboard something special.

8 hours ago, Rightnider said:

Great to see another S210 and 70s Ford enthusiast. I’m soon to pickup my E430 with newly refurbished underpinnings. 
 

The E320 CDI is such a capable car on all levels, I’ve had three. Just like all other s210s they were even masters at disintegrating all by themselves!

70s Fords and w210 Mercedes aren’t an obvious combination of desires but I rate them, it is encouraging to know there’s a couple more on here that feel the same too. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...