1963 Mercedes Benz 190DC Fintail. On the road.

Dyslexic Viking

This was transported to the local garage today with a towtruck. They will start brake work on it tomorrow and have promised to lock it into the building tonight.

But since I'm involved, something has of course gone wrong. I have broken my rule again and assumed something, so I assumed that this one had 1 wheel cylinder per side at the front like normal cars. Well after it had been delivered, a bad feeling began to sink in and after some research it turns out that these have 2 wheel cylinders per side at the front.

2 more wheel cylinders are at least a week to get and will cost 300 pounds which I don't have. So have spoken to the local garage and they will see what they do.

I'm so madly annoyed with myself and this is going to last for quite a while. Now I had the opportunity to completely go over the brakes and gain confidence that they are good, but I of course messed this up.

I'm in a really bad mood right now.

This was transported to the local garage today with a towtruck. They will start brake work on it tomorrow and have promised to lock it into the building tonight.
But since I'm involved, something has of course gone wrong. I have broken my rule again and assumed something, so I assumed that this one had 1 wheel cylinder per side at the front like normal cars. Well after it had been delivered, a bad feeling began to sink in and after some research it turns out that these have 2 wheel cylinders per side at the front.
2 more wheel cylinders are at least a week to get and will cost 300 pounds which I don't have. So have spoken to the local garage and they will see what they do.
I'm so madly annoyed with myself and this is going to last for quite a while. Now I had the opportunity to completely go over the brakes and gain confidence that they are good, but I of course messed this up.
Sounds like you're being harsh on yourself. I know that feeling though and empathise. Just remember it'll get done but might just not be as soon as you'd of liked.
Hope it all gets sorted soon and you're out and about in it again.

11 minutes ago, loserone said:

From here, you're doing a marvelous job and I'm very envious.

Such a cool car

Thanks, and is not fair that I am complaing I see this and should stop as I am lucky to own this. It's just a bit much at the moment.

Getting the car back on the road will probably help my head a lot.

Thanks, and is not fair that I am complaing I see this and should stop as I am lucky to own this. It's just a bit much at the moment.
Getting the car back on the road will probably help my head a lot.
100% but don't think you aren't allowed to feel like shit when stuff isn't going your way. Cars are testing and they beat you up at times but the moment you get back in and it's all sorted makes it all worth while.

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'm assuming you're relatively young - in your 20s? Just remember, no matter what your car throws at you, you're infinitely cooler than your peers. Respect! 

No need for that, it will work out. But thanks.

You’ve already been doing a fantastic job bringing the car back into full use. While there may be no need, I (and I’m sure others too) would also be happy to throw a few pounds into the pot knowing it would be wisely spent to get the car back to fine health for next few years.

Anyone with experience in getting something like this up and running for Mr Viking?

7 minutes ago, 320touring said:

@Dyslexic Viking

My '59 Oxford has a similar setup with two cylinders each side at the front.

There is a good chance that at least 2 of the original cylinders may still be functional, so they will be able to make a full set from new and original.

Yes, this is entirely possible. The only thing I'm a little afraid of is that the seals in the old ones will fail and with the accompanying brake failure.

I don't know how likely this is as I have no experience with 1 circuit brakes and cars of this age. And if I can manage to pump enough brake pressure in such a case to stop.

12 minutes ago, 320touring said:

@Dyslexic Viking

My '59 Oxford has a similar setup with two cylinders each side at the front.

There is a good chance that at least 2 of the original cylinders may still be functional, so they will be able to make a full set from new and original.

Twin leading shoe drum brakes was fairly normal when drums all round was a thing.

6 minutes ago, Shandylegs said:

You’ve already been doing a fantastic job bringing the car back into full use. While there may be no need, I (and I’m sure others too) would also be happy to throw a few pounds into the pot knowing it would be wisely spent to get the car back to fine health for next few years.

Anyone with experience in getting something like this up and running for Mr Viking?

Thanks. And there is no necessity for something like this. I manage, it's just this first year in my ownership that has been tough. 

21 minutes ago, DirtyDaily said:

roffle on something that's hanging around the house?

I doubt that anyone here would be willing to participate in such a thing and there is no need. But it would have been fun to see the winner drive to Norway for the pile of broken Volvo parts and half a milk chocolate that he has won.

Yes, this is entirely possible. The only thing I'm a little afraid of is that the seals in the old ones will fail and with the accompanying brake failure.

I don't know how likely this is as I have no experience with 1 circuit brakes and cars of this age. And if I can manage to pump enough brake pressure in such a case to stop.

Can the garage (or you) get new seals on their own? Then they can hone the best cylinders. That would at least keep you going for a couple of years. 

Again, like the shoes, make sure you get all the old parts back.

Edit:- This company seem to stock the cup seal for less than €10 each, also the dust covers for a similar price.

You might also note that they sell linings for €35 each, 4 to a car =€ 140, so well worth holding on to those old shoes.