Cars, Lasses and Lads - A Photo Sharing Thread

Dick Longbridge

34 minutes ago, egg said:

car lived until 98

Ian-Botham-for-SAAB.jpg

Botham must've made a fortune endorsing absolutely everything that came his way. I've just acquired a pair of Botham 'signature' cricketing trousers some 30 years after he retired from the game. BTW he can still be seen flogging foot massagers to the sorts of people who watch ITV4, tucked in amongst funeral plan and trust a trader adverts.

2 hours ago, warch said:

Botham must've made a fortune endorsing absolutely everything that came his way. I've just acquired a pair of Botham 'signature' cricketing trousers some 30 years after he retired from the game. BTW he can still be seen flogging foot massagers to the sorts of people who watch ITV4, tucked in amongst funeral plan and trust a trader adverts.

He can’t have made that much, he’s just flogged all his momentos for £225k.

8 hours ago, warch said:

Are any of these photos of you Old Bloke?

I don't have many photo's of me and a vehicle I have owned.

This one is from July 1995, I'm  sitting on the green 2a swb.

When the new DVLA online vehicle check became available, the only Land Rover still on the data base was my  2a.

IMG_20230604_163701.jpg

2 hours ago, The Old Bloke Next Door said:

I don't have many photo's of me and a vehicle I have owned.

This one is from July 1995, I'm  sitting on the green 2a swb.

When the new DVLA online vehicle check became available, the only Land Rover still on the data base was my  2a.

IMG_20230604_163701.jpg

Yer weren't as old then! Just sayin...

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 8:02 AM, egg said:

Galtymore-Club-Cricklewood-Broadway-Cric

Used to pick up from there when I was mini-cabbing, mini-cabs were not allowed to solicit for fares so we would rock up at chucking out time and shout "cab for Paddy".

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/18/2023 at 10:49 AM, egg said:

360111527_674004738104893_43905607446748

You have to put the smallest case in first because there is a well in the bottom of the boot that is strangely just right for fitting a spare wheel in. But as everyone knows, the spare wheel is kept under the bonnet which saves having to take all that luggage out if you need to change a wheel.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 10:49 AM, egg said:

360111527_674004738104893_43905607446748

2 hours ago, DSdriver said:

You have to put the smallest case in first because there is a well in the bottom of the boot that is strangely just right for fitting a spare wheel in. But as everyone knows, the spare wheel is kept under the bonnet which saves having to take all that luggage out if you need to change a wheel.

If she's got the torso, the two older ones have a leg each and the others are the arms, I'm just wondering where she's put the head!

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

If she's got the torso, the two older ones have a leg each and the others are the arms, I'm just wondering where she's put the head!

Usually kept in an over the shoulder duffel bag*  

*not that I'm an expert in that sort of thing.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, DSdriver said:

Doesn’t the heat from the engine seriously accelerate perishing of the rubber.

2 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

Doesn’t the heat from the engine seriously accelerate perishing of the rubber.

Short answer no. 

I've had a spare wheel still with the sticker on the tread since the 1980s and it still looks like new. It is in front of the radiator (which has its own ducting from under the front bumper) and there is ventilation between the bonnet and the bumper to the spare wheel. I would think that cars like the Citroen CX which also had the spare in the engine bay but up by the screen would have been more likely to suffer but I never kept mine long enough to find out, perhaps others can comment?

Thinking about it, there are a lot of other rubber components nearer the engine like cooling hoses and air pipes which last for ever as well.