Jump to content

Buttons you never press


warch
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Front fogs ..... 

Used them twice in my time driving (couldn't see beyond the end of the car bonnet at the time). Only time I've had them on is if it's sitting parked for a picture and I want to "add" to the photograph.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

Front fogs are useful for illuminating the road surface just in front of the car so you can try and avoid the worst of the craters.

Are they bollocks, unless you are driving at 5mph, fog lights do a great job of marking out the bellends to the rest of us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Are they bollocks, unless you are driving at 5mph, fog lights do a great job of marking out the bellends to the rest of us.

I really don't know what your problem is but that's twice you've drawn attention to yourself as being an utter prick on this thread.
Do you really feel the need to  have a go at anyone whose view you disagree with in such an aggressive manner? This is supposed to be a light hearted bit of banter FFS, if you want to be an arse go and do it on the politics section.

FWIW rear fogs may dazzle you but fronts aimed correctly would only dazzle you if you're lying on the floor, and are far less intense than the LED DRLs most moderns have on all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That dial in the glove box that lets you pump A/C air in to keep your Fanta Lemon cold in the summer.

Never remember about it at all until the middle of winter when you need to look in the manual and the folio has delaminated because of the 30 degree heat pumping in for the last three months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

There’s a button on the b pillar in the polo that I’m not sure what it’s for?

If it's the same as the one in my Skoda, it disables interior scanning and tow protection on the alarm, for when the car needs recovering. With the driver's door open, press it and then get out and lock the car to do the deed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Missy Charm said:

Whenever I press one of my car's black controls,  which are labelled with black text on a black background, a small black light lights up to tell me that I've done it.  

On a serious note: the cabin air recirculator  button.  What's the point?  

Planning a drive into the sun? Recirc is for driving in dusty conditions, through smoke, going past something smelly or if there's a dizzler belching clag in front and you cannot pass.

43 minutes ago, Patent said:

That dial in the glove box that lets you pump A/C air in to keep your Fanta Lemon cold in the summer.

Never remember about it at all until the middle of winter when you need to look in the manual and the folio has delaminated because of the 30 degree heat pumping in for the last three months

What cars get that? Never seen it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spiny Norman said:

FWIW rear fogs may dazzle you but fronts aimed correctly would only dazzle you if you're lying on the floor, and are far less intense than the LED DRLs most moderns have on all the time.

But front fogs are designed to not do that? They have a wide beam that aim across the front with no cut-off. Unsurprisingly it's quite clearly stated that they shouldn't be used unless in low visibility situations. Mostly because they are dazzling when used in non foggy conditions.

Thankfully my modern daily driver is equipped with both front fogs and LED headlights that I can equally dazzle oncoming fuckwits that decide to drive with fogs and sides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, templeoffire said:

I wish just once she would ask how I’m doing instead of telling me my subscription has expired 

TRAFFIC MASTER. LICENCE. EXPIRED 

Honestly was it ever popular? 

My Irish C5 had it too as well as the Xantia. And I think the one I swapped to @dollywobblerhad it too... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Spurious said:

TRAFFIC MASTER. LICENCE. EXPIRED 

Honestly was it ever popular? 

My Irish C5 had it too as well as the Xantia. And I think the one I swapped to @dollywobblerhad it too... 

maybe if you were a high flying business man up and down motorways? Would love it if it worked again, I should call the number 🧐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2022 at 5:40 AM, MorrisItalSLX said:

The dash lighting rheostat got turned up to full the first time I drove at night and has never been touched since.

Also, can anyone explain the purpose of the economy air conditioning button found in 80s and 90s Toyotas? As far as I can work out it turns on the power sapping compressor and provides no cold air whatsoever.

AAB101EA-7816-4985-BF75-C87FF80A46E4.thumb.jpeg.1dfaa074e7786d1a5cf77456973ed9b5.jpeg

My Carina II has the A/C and ECON buttons but no compressor or any evidence that it was fitted with air conditioning besides the two non-functioning buttons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Planning a drive into the sun? Recirc is for driving in dusty conditions, through smoke, going past something smelly or if there's a dizzler belching clag in front and you cannot pass.

What cars get that? Never seen it.

I like the smell of exhaust fumes and smoke.  In fact I do smoke, it's more fun than breathing air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, templeoffire said:

maybe if you were a high flying business man up and down motorways? Would love it if it worked again, I should call the number 🧐

I used it in the 90s , still got it all boxed up somewhere , I'd pick a route depending on the traffic reports it gave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Metal Guru said:

But no RAV4 has EVER been off road .

I’d normally agree, but a few years ago I was parking my rental car on a field adjacent to a swap meet in Canada, when another visitor in a RAV4 decided to cut across the verge of the main road instead of using the normal entrance.

It looked deceptively flat as it was grass all the way, but there was a good two and a half feet soft drop into the field. Solid THUNK as the suspension bottomed out, but it made it unscathed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

fronts aimed correctly

Front fogs aren't usually adjustable ...but the headlights are....that's another button/knob that it seems like a lot of people don't know what it's for ....

Highway Code;

236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Allows the car to travel slowly with no throttle input, allows to you control car on the brakes and clutch on rough terrain.
Saw that one on a Toyota Dyna I once rented, it only worked when the engine was cold

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...