JJ0063 Posted May 24 Author Posted May 24 Oil leak is getting bad now so have ordered a complete new rocker cover, genuine BMW injector bolts and copper washers… and a torque wrench! One tool I’ve never owned, everything just gets done up FT but feel like this might warrant doing it properly. Also after the heat died down today I managed to give it another clean. rm36house, yes oui si, Matty and 1 other 4
High Jetter Posted May 24 Posted May 24 1 hour ago, JJ0063 said: Oil leak is getting bad now so have ordered a complete new rocker cover, genuine BMW injector bolts and copper washers… and a torque wrench! One tool I’ve never owned, everything just gets done up FT but feel like this might warrant doing it properly. Also after the heat died down today I managed to give it another clean. So glad that's not a T reg 😀 JJ0063 and MrGTI6 2
JJ0063 Posted May 30 Author Posted May 30 Decided to give the rocker cover a go today, wasn’t terrible! New Febi cover, new injector seals and bolts Hopefully that cures the leak. I’ve taken the full undertray off which is huge and saturated in oil. Not sure how’s best to clean it other than a pressure washer and degreaser? Matty, Dave_Q, Jazoli and 1 other 4
JJ0063 Posted May 31 Author Posted May 31 Thought I’d try and earn some love from the BMW by giving it a proper hoover for the first time possibly ever. Hoping maybe giving it some TLC will stop it leaking? Put an old boot liner under the engine and there’s a couple of drops there 🤦♂️ trying to be optimistic and say it’s probably just remnants I missed with the brake cleaner.. however I’m pretty sure the oil filter housing is also leaking which is another common N47 issue… yes oui si, EyesWeldedShut, GrumpiusMaximus and 2 others 5
JJ0063 Posted June 1 Author Posted June 1 Fuck it, determined to sort this. Oh and I had a low coolant warning last week, topped it up and it’s dropped slightly again so I’m hoping there’s a small leak rather than anything serious. Coolant flange is very common on these so whilst the manifold is off to do the oil filter housing gaskets, I’ll change the flange even if just for preventative maintenance considering how easy it is to switch whilst the car is in bits. scooobydont, mercedade, Wibble and 4 others 7
Matty Posted June 1 Posted June 1 BMW in not keeping coolant where it should be shocker. I love my old bms and had several but every one has involved fucking about with the shit cooling system components 😠 yes oui si and JJ0063 2
JJ0063 Posted June 7 Author Posted June 7 I didn’t take any pics as it was a SHIT job, but did the oil filter housing gaskets today. Pretty sure the gearbox cooler line is leaking now as it just didn’t feel like it would seat properly so I may have to revisit that but it’s one retaining bolt and can be accessed from underneath. Also the filter housing wasn’t that wet, but the sump was absolutely drenched. I’m now thinking that either the sump itself is the issue, or the rear main but that was changed with the timing chain a couple of years ago. Ready to sack it off now but can’t sell it as is. Wibble 1
Bren Posted June 8 Posted June 8 21 hours ago, JJ0063 said: I didn’t take any pics as it was a SHIT job, but did the oil filter housing gaskets today. Pretty sure the gearbox cooler line is leaking now as it just didn’t feel like it would seat properly so I may have to revisit that but it’s one retaining bolt and can be accessed from underneath. Also the filter housing wasn’t that wet, but the sump was absolutely drenched. I’m now thinking that either the sump itself is the issue, or the rear main but that was changed with the timing chain a couple of years ago. Ready to sack it off now but can’t sell it as is. They can become a pain as they age.
JJ0063 Posted June 8 Author Posted June 8 1 hour ago, Bren said: They can become a pain as they age. I’ve stuck it on the BMW page tonight. I’m not sure it is actually still leaking as I put a sheet of cardboard on it and it’s only got two droplets on it 24hrs later and there is a lot of residue from removing the housing yesterday amongst the previous oil I couldn’t clean off. Either way, I’m done with it now Plate is off! Not a clue what I’ll get next, haven’t got the money to upgrade as such, will just be another 5 grand barge for now. MrGTI6 1
Bren Posted June 8 Posted June 8 Unfortunately £5-10k is world of pain territory. JJ0063 and MrGTI6 2
JJ0063 Posted June 8 Author Posted June 8 41 minutes ago, Bren said: Unfortunately £5-10k is world of pain territory. I think anything from £500 to £10 - £15k can be to be honest! colino 1
JJ0063 Posted June 13 Author Posted June 13 It’s only stopped leaking oil! Sump had a stupid sound deadening cover round it that had been saturated so I tore it off and binned that. Cleaned everything up with brake cleaner, laid under it with the engine running for 15 mins and there’s no signs of any leak. Still selling it now I’ve got my mind set on changing car 😂 Wibble, Coprolalia, yes oui si and 5 others 8
Bren Posted June 13 Posted June 13 It's a BMW. Probably no oil in it. Joey spud, Marshall2810, Sigmund Fraud and 3 others 6
JJ0063 Posted July 2 Author Posted July 2 Well, I’m surprised. Read up on this stuff and liked the fact it’s not your typical snake oil that blocks galleries etc. It only targets rubber seals and the reviews online are brilliant. So, ordered a service kit.. gave it a full service and put the above in. Drove it round for a week and the leak has now 95% gone. Can still see a slight dampness around the bottom of the gearbox to block mounting point but so minor you’d not even mention it. After almost no interest and a couple of timewasters, I’ve deleted the advert and it can stay. It’s a good car and I have no reason to change it now it seems to be behaving. Also no more coolant loss at all since changing the oil filter housing gasket. Coprolalia, Matty, Dave_Q and 8 others 11
Bren Posted July 3 Posted July 3 14 hours ago, JJ0063 said: Well, I’m surprised. Read up on this stuff and liked the fact it’s not your typical snake oil that blocks galleries etc. It only targets rubber seals and the reviews online are brilliant. So, ordered a service kit.. gave it a full service and put the above in. Drove it round for a week and the leak has now 95% gone. Can still see a slight dampness around the bottom of the gearbox to block mounting point but so minor you’d not even mention it. After almost no interest and a couple of timewasters, I’ve deleted the advert and it can stay. It’s a good car and I have no reason to change it now it seems to be behaving. Also no more coolant loss at all since changing the oil filter housing gasket. Nothing is selling unless you are willing to sell for peanuts. I'd run it into the ground. JJ0063 and Jazoli 2
JJ0063 Posted July 18 Author Posted July 18 As it’s not being sold, I’ve decided to do a few little bits to keep my attention. First thing was to change the interior trims to timber. Love a wood dash. yes oui si, Dabooka, mk2_craig and 4 others 7
JJ0063 Posted August 2 Author Posted August 2 This probably isn’t going to get much love but I am really pleased with it. 20” E70 X5 wheels fitted, and slightly lowered to lose the arch gap oingy_boingy, High Jetter, S2000 and 8 others 11
Jazoli Posted August 2 Posted August 2 It’s a solid nope from me, sorry… gone from Classy to Chavvy in two posts Noel Tidybeard, EyesWeldedShut and Metal Guru 3
Wibble Posted August 2 Posted August 2 Sorry, you’ve been so helpful to me but it’s a no from me too. Jazoli 1
JJ0063 Posted August 2 Author Posted August 2 No need to apologise! Taste is individual 🙌 Dave_Q, Matty and Wibble 1 2
Tayne Posted August 3 Posted August 3 Roads must be smooth and well surfaced round your way. Jazoli, Dave_Q, JJ0063 and 2 others 3 2
S2000 Posted August 3 Posted August 3 Best looking wheels ever IMO, I would rock that but not lower it due to the multitude of traffic calming solutions we have around here! JJ0063 1
Pat Earrings Posted August 3 Posted August 3 12 hours ago, JJ0063 said: This probably isn’t going to get much love but I am really pleased with it. 20” E70 X5 wheels fitted, and slightly lowered to lose the arch gap I feel like you’re going down the road of having a “locally hated” sticker on it next JJ0063, Matty and Dave_Q 3
JJ0063 Posted August 3 Author Posted August 3 17 minutes ago, Pat Earrings said: I feel like you’re going down the road of having a “locally hated” sticker on it next [HOONIGAN] Matty, Dave_Q and Pat Earrings 3
Erebus Posted August 3 Posted August 3 12 hours ago, Tayne said: Roads must be smooth and well surfaced round your way. LOL that's exactly what I thought! Maybe it's an age thing. Ride quality over looks any day for me
Bren Posted August 3 Posted August 3 I like them. However a succession cars with large wheels and low profile tyres has left me with cracked alloys and gouged sidewalls. They look fab but I wouldn't choose them nowadays because getting old. JJ0063 1
Dave_Q Posted August 3 Posted August 3 Soz I'm with team GASH on those wheels, somehow make it look like a pound shop hot wheels. The wheels themselves I do kinda like but the proportions are all wrong. If they were somehow available 2 inch smaller with a bit more tyre I could potentially be onboard. Your car though and glad to see it still getting some love, this must be a near record for keeping the same one and not chopping it in for a non n47 that you then chop in for another n47 after 6 months. GrumpiusMaximus, RoverFolkUs and JJ0063 3
JJ0063 Posted August 4 Author Posted August 4 Appreciate it’s not for everyone, I know a lot of you prefer unmodified and I respect that! I just felt after deciding to keep it, I wanted to make a few changes to keep my interest in it and I’m very happy with how it’s turned out Anyway, dog field car park providing a nice backdrop last night: CaptainBoom, oingy_boingy, Gaffer and 2 others 5
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now