JJ0063 Posted September 1 Author Posted September 1 Things not on my bingo card for 2026 #101 Mrs JJ has wanted a RR Sport since they came out, never been in a position to consider it. She is at the moment and a couple of weeks ago said she wants to do it whilst she can. She now has this and her Transit Custom is sold pending the MOT being done. It’s a Storm grey 2015 L494 SDV6 and has a £7000 receipt for an engine replacement/rebuild in 2023. Im sure it’ll be as unreliable as we all expect, but it’s such a nice thing to drive. And somehow does 35+ MPG combined driving. Ridiculous amount of car for £11k, considering it was £68k new. Insurance was £582 via Go Compare. yes oui si, Popsicle, Westbay and 6 others 4 5
Bren Posted September 1 Posted September 1 It looks lovely. But i'd be terrified it would shit itself. yes oui si, GrumpiusMaximus, Pat Earrings and 8 others 11
JJ0063 Posted September 1 Author Posted September 1 13 minutes ago, Bren said: It looks lovely. But i'd be terrified it would shit itself. Same. Tried to talk her into a 2.2 Evoque but she said if she’s doing it, she’s doing it properly. I admire her and I kind of agree with her, just have to hope it doesn’t turn out to be a lemon. The last owner had it since 2020 and it was old sold as he died, so hopefully that shows its not horrendous (disclaimer: death was non Range Rover related)
Erebus Posted September 1 Posted September 1 Surely the fact it's had a relatively recent engine rebuild at considerable expense minimises the liability? And being an elderly owner I doubt it did that many miles since. Probably as low a liability as it can be unless you had an amazing warranty
JJ0063 Posted September 1 Author Posted September 1 3 minutes ago, Erebus said: Surely the fact it's had a relatively recent engine rebuild at considerable expense minimises the liability? And being an elderly owner I doubt it did that many miles since. Probably as low a liability as it can be unless you had an amazing warranty This is our mindset to be honest, it’s as good as we’ll get. Fella was in his late 70s so I don’t think it’ll have been ragged for those last 6 years either Oh and talking of warranty, it’s got 6 months return to base warranty included and is actually going back next week because one of the tail light seals has gone Matty, Wibble, Erebus and 1 other 4
Wibble Posted September 1 Posted September 1 I hope it serves her well. I remember all the extra checks required for these, when buying at WBAC. I particularly remember a guy bringing in a high mileage Insignia, saying his wife was picking him up in their new car. The Insignia was fine, didn’t pay much for it but it was quiet and drove well, in the brief scoot round the car park I gave it when they’d left, to park it up. His wife turned up in their new 2017 Range Rover something or other. I could hear the death rattle from it as he cleared his stuff from the Insignia. I always hated JLR products coming in. Another guy brought in his 2020, I think, RR. He’d just spent £6100 on repairs and wanted it gone, no matter what we offered. A deal was done, he lost massively. Best of luck to you both! JJ0063 and mk2_craig 1 1
Erebus Posted September 1 Posted September 1 18 minutes ago, JJ0063 said: This is our mindset to be honest, it’s as good as we’ll get. Fella was in his late 70s so I don’t think it’ll have been ragged for those last 6 years either Oh and talking of warranty, it’s got 6 months return to base warranty included and is actually going back next week because one of the tail light seals has gone That's great. Looks the business. I bet everyone thinks you've won the lottery!
JJ0063 Posted September 1 Author Posted September 1 1 minute ago, Erebus said: That's great. Looks the business. I bet everyone thinks you've won the lottery! Or we’ve taken up drug dealing. Can’t get my head round the fact it’s only cost her van plus £6k. Sold the transit for £5k, this was £11k. GrumpiusMaximus, Erebus, Westbay and 1 other 1 3
High Jetter Posted September 1 Posted September 1 1 hour ago, JJ0063 said: Things not on my bingo card for 2026 #101 Mrs JJ has wanted a RR Sport since they came out, never been in a position to consider it. She is at the moment and a couple of weeks ago said she wants to do it whilst she can. She now has this and her Transit Custom is sold pending the MOT being done. It’s a Storm grey 2015 L494 SDV6 and has a £7000 receipt for an engine replacement/rebuild in 2023. Im sure it’ll be as unreliable as we all expect, but it’s such a nice thing to drive. And somehow does 35+ MPG combined driving. Ridiculous amount of car for £11k, considering it was £68k new. Insurance was £582 via Go Compare. I'd want an engine that lasted longer than 8 years, tbh JJ0063, Agila and Pat Earrings 1 2
JJ0063 Posted September 2 Author Posted September 2 12 hours ago, High Jetter said: I'd want an engine that lasted longer than 8 years, tbh Oh of course, but if you specifically wanted a car, you’d go for the one with the work already having been done.. the SDV6 is a very common engine but has weak points, no different than an N47 and having to keep in mind the chain will snap at some point High Jetter 1
NorfolkNWeigh Posted September 2 Posted September 2 That looks great, I find myself preferring this shape Sport to the full fat L405 these days. Thing is I’m too chickenshit to buy one . One of my kids has got a 2.2 Evoque and it’s not as nice to drive as our N47 X3, I’ll end up buying something else maybe an N47 engined 2 wheel drive X5 and looking enviously at passing Rangies. @Cheggersof this parish had no issues with his similar car IIRC. Cheggers and JJ0063 2
Agila Posted September 2 Posted September 2 On 01/09/2026 at 22:56, High Jetter said: I'd want an engine that lasted longer than 8 years, tbh Don't forget it was done 3 years ago. By that logic 5 years time might be interesting. Hopefully whatever makes this happens has been replaced with better components, possibly more regular oil changes or whatever it needs to make it last longer. Might even be stolen by then so top level security is required, I'm surprised the insurance was so cheap, mine won't touch me on range rovers or evokes. On the flip side what an absolutely beautiful looking thing, I'd drive someone else's in a heart beat. I'd feel like a millionaire in that. Best of luck Mr and Mrs JJ and I hope it serves you well. All credit for you to follow your automotive dreams. Mine would be a continental gt but I haven't the balls. JJ0063 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now