Travelling with a camera: my photo scans from the early 90's

reallyloud

Quite a variety of stuff there. Corsair is nice, I do like them.There’s a place near here with loads of Cubes for sale, as well as other JDM imports. I quite often see one in a very utilitarian non-metallic grey on the way to work (though admittedly it’s not as interesting as the Mk2 Capri I also see sometimes).Regrettably I’ve missed nearly all of this year’s local R-R ‘meats’ due to it clashing with a course Mrs SL has been doing, now that’s done I should be able to get to those again.

I had a look on the DVLA vehicle check site, and it comes out still registered as a 1968 Morris Mini, and further more has a 2500cc engine. It sounded very clackerty and wouldn't surprise me if it was a Toyota or Transit engine. I wished I had a chance to chat to the owner.

I'm on my travels again. This weekend was an epic and picturesque journey across the A66 to Kendal. The actual venue was about 15 miles south down the M6 to a place called Leighton Hall. Basically a National trust house with a huge field full of cow crap. Asides from epic bovine stools, it was a nice day out cementing my experiences that Northerners are actually friendlier than southerners.

The selection of cars were fairly standard - but these stood out for me as interesting.

Posted Image

This had it all. A 4 speed Biege Diesel estate.

Posted Image

To my frustration this had its bonnet open all day - not much to see in there neither. I think he drove away with it still open. An ebay win apparently.

Posted Image

Genuine Lilac Minor - one of the 300/400 (?) or so special edition cars made to celebrate 1,000,000 morris minors off the production line. Squint at the badge and you'll see it badged as a Morris 1000000. Can provide arty close up shots if you really care.

Posted Image

I think this must be one of the last Scimitar Sabres to have left the production line.

Posted Image

All that giddy power. Not

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Had a chat with the owner of this car, nice chap + great beard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was about to leave then this honey crept in. I took at least 50 shots of it.

you want more?

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/cars/cars80.htm

Orion and Carlton make a great pair, as do the peculiarly proportioned big Fords. Celica looks fantastic, and that Marina GT with wheels that suit it very nicely.The Cortina Mk1 is so very nearly there – lose a badge or two, give it a polished tube grille and it’d be spot-on.Edit: By Carlton I do of course mean Rekord :oops:

Why hasnt that granada been nicked and bangered? STANDARDS ARE SLIPPING.Great pics! That opel estate looks like the perfect tool for an early-morning B-road blast, just imagine giving it the beans out through Macclesfield and up into the peaks, dicing with the power rangers crew on their YAMAZUKIHA FAZER CBR R1 900 ZZR BANDITs.

A great selection. :D

The wheels on this Marina make it four sets that I've seen in that stud pattern including the ones we own...

Posted Image

That Volvo lowrider-y thing reminds me of an advert that used to appear in Street Machine in the early 90's.

• 3 weeks later...

A few casual observations from the last few weeks - not really had a chance to seek out much to be honest. Too busy worrying about the kredit krunch, the price of pilchards, siphoning windscreen washing fluid and such like.

Posted Image

Earliest mk3 Granada I have seen in ages, the dvla says its quite an early one but on a B it follows the Sierra Vs Cortina arguement that there are more late cortinas than there are earlier sierras.

Posted Image

Surprised this hasn't been traded in for a '54 Astra and taken down the scrappy - got to be some serious weight on this car.

Posted Image

Quite happy to have seen this. Noticed it driving away in the corner of my eye a few months ago, and assumed I must have imagined it.

Posted Image

More failed hydraulastic related fun.

Posted Image

A bit trendy, but beautifully done. I have a set of these wheels for my panda, so I guess I must be trendy too. stat.

Posted Image

So this guy wants to sell this. There is no metal at all on the bottom 1/3 of the van. It also has some wierd burnt-out raver type owner touches to it. There must be dozens of better examples out there, as quite a fair few survived.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also took a day out to the motorshow. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't pay to get in. Most of the people in there acted like they'd never seen a car before.

Posted Image

Part of some random display.

Posted Image

And possibly the last time you'll see an Allegro at a Motorshow for new cars. Again the stand was slightly ambiguous, but it was something to do with the Allegro being voted the worst car ever. It was a twin headlamp version too.

Part of some display promoting some BBC programme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

After satisifying myself by tutoring the Honda girls that the Honda Jazz wasn't first introduced into the uk 'quite recently' but in 1984 - I went over to annoy the Hyundai birds. Amazingly they designate a girl to each car model and some poor bint had to do her homeowrk on the forthcoming Grandeur V6. Sadly, this means that the Sonata will no longer be imported to the UK, but rest assured they will be clogging up the dealerships for some time yet. To the girls credit, when I asked her who would consider buying a Hyundai Grandeur at 30k, she truthfully said 'mostly South Korean embassy staff, and that odd Northern chap with the beige Colt Galant and Daihatsu Charmant'.

Posted Image

Posted Image

God help the children.

After satisifying myself by tutoring the Honda girls that the Honda Jazz wasn't first introduced into the uk 'quite recently' but in 1984 - I went over to annoy the Hyundai birds. Amazingly they designate a girl to each car model and some poor bint had to do her homeowrk on the forthcoming Grandeur V6. Sadly, this means that the Sonata will no longer be imported to the UK, but rest assured they will be clogging up the dealerships for some time yet. To the girls credit, when I asked her who would consider buying a Hyundai Grandeur at 30k, she truthfully said 'mostly South Korean embassy staff, and that odd Northern chap with the beige Colt Galant and Daihatsu Charmant'.

Excellent work! I should start going to motorshows and harassing the manufacturer girls, until they offer me branded leisurewear in exchange for my permanent departure. I wouldn't stop until I've got a Hyundai Grandeur bomber jacket, Honda Legend umbrella, a pair of Kia Magentis tennis shoes and some sort of restraining order.Incidentally, did you know you can get the Grandeur in a colour called "Silky beige metallic"? It's as if they designed the car around me. However, I was most disappointed to find you can't replace the standard MP3 CD player thing with an optional tape deck at great expense.

Probably a bit late to be commenting on it now, but are you SURE that VW Karman Ghia really is one?!!

I am! VW badged them both or at least confusingly refered to both of them as Karmann Ghias. The one in the picture is a more specifically known as a type 34 or razor edge which was based on the fastback/squareback/notchback series of cars (VW type 3) and the prettier more common version was originally based on the beetle. I almost bought a razor edge some 15 years ago, but it had been standing in a field for years and I wasn't that desperate to part of the scene. Wonder whatever happened to it....

• 3 weeks later...

I recently took a weeks break in Corfu with law, naturally I tested her patience and goodwill with my obsessive need to seek tat.

These are a selection of choice cuts, firstly Pick-ups.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/cars/corfu/fiat_uno.jpg

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/cars/corfu/datsun_1300.jpg

http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/cars/corfu/datsun_1300_1.jpg

More to come tomorrow!

Was there a difference in spec / trim level with the Volvo getting either round head lamps or square head lamps or was it just the lamps that varied?

The ones with the square headlamps are facelift models from late 1980 to late 1982.
I always thought it was the poverty model ones that got the square lights and the proper ones that got the rectangular ones. I remember loads of 244DLs with the square ones, but the GL / GLT / GLE and the 6 potters always seemed to have the rectangular ones.

Was there a difference in spec / trim level with the Volvo getting either round head lamps or square head lamps or was it just the lamps that varied?

The ones with the square headlamps are facelift models from late 1980 to late 1982.
I always thought it was the poverty model ones that got the square lights and the proper ones that got the rectangular ones. I remember loads of 244DLs with the square ones, but the GL / GLT / GLE and the 6 potters always seemed to have the rectangular ones.
IIRC the early 240-series povo ones got the recessed single round lamps (the best ones - Corgi did a model of it too!). I saw a 260 many years ago with quad round lamps also.Later DL's got square headlamps I think. The higher models (GL and above) got large rectangular headlamps, with the 260's having similar lamps, except positioned more upright to go with the more prominent grille.Volvo stopped all the nonsense in 1981 with the new more aerodynamic front, however there are several versions of that too :roll: Either way its confusing as feck!