THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

Thanks Akron, joined one Passat forum and scored some good advice there.

We sealed a fair number of things under the bonnet but any extra bits I may have missed are always good to know about.

Thanks once again.

The Dollywobbler fleet has been having one of those phases. The new CX started to misbehave last weekend, with a really bad misfire and a refusal to tick-over leading to two-pedal driving. Always fun in an auto with super-sensitive brakes. It was removed from daily duty for the week.

Then, the BX started hurling LHM everywhere. That forced the Westie and 2CV into daily duty, the latter still in desperate need of greasing after the euro trip.

So, thought I'd better start fettling today. First up, tried locating the leak on the BX. BX Club folk are helping me with that one as I try and work out which pipe is at fault. Still unclear though, so that's still out of the game.

Then to the 2CV. Couldn't get my trolley jack underneath it as the Mini was the way. Doesn't sound like much of an issue, but the Mini refused to fire into life - starter was not even clicking. Wallops with a hammer did no good but rocking the car in fourth thankfully encouraged the car to start. Greasing is a bloody horrible, messy job, but at least it's done now. For another 1000 miles...

On to the CX then. Tweaking up the idle has at least got it driveable, but there's still a misfire. Went to Halfrauds to see if I could get plugs and leads - both are ropey in the extreme - but naturally they had f*ck all for a CX. At least I got a mirror pad, so it now has the rear view mirror fitted for the first time.

So, things are looking better, but the BX is still out of action for the time being.

Then to the 2CV. Couldn't get my trolley jack underneath it as the Mini was the way. Doesn't sound like much of an issue, but the Mini refused to fire into life - starter was not even clicking. Wallops with a hammer did no good but rocking the car in fourth thankfully encouraged the car to start. Greasing is a bloody horrible, messy job, but at least it's done now. For another 1000 miles...

On to the CX then. Tweaking up the idle has at least got it driveable, but there's still a misfire. Went to Halfrauds to see if I could get plugs and leads - both are ropey in the extreme - but naturally they had f*ck all for a CX. At least I got a mirror pad, so it now has the rear view mirror fitted for the first time.

Try undersealing as a horrible job as well - Ive done under the 2CV past few weeks while it's been warm, not suprised about not getting the plugs from Halfords, they seem only to stock a limited amount these days - seems mostly for Ford Focus and the like.

After the GT6 crash my interest in cars has been bit on the wain, so the Imp etc have been neglected. However i have finally been able to get my mojo together and have started putting the Imp back together. Brake pipes and rear wishbones went on today.

Posted Image

Need to put the front wishbones back on and i can roll the car over again. only taken me a year to sort out the floor and the sills......

Wow, the floor on my Imp didn't look like that :shock:

Is that a 'Wow it looks okay' or 'Wow, it looks a bit odd'? Hoping its because it looks okay. :D

Has been a fair bit of work to get it done, however its mainly been scraping off 45 years of underseal of EVERYTHING. I hate underseal with a passion now.

Really should have ground down the welds before I painted it, but my grinder blew up (literally, there were flames coming out of it) and i could not afford a new one that month so I just proceeded anyhow as, hell its underneath the car. The paint made it look like progress which i needed for moral after months of (reluctant) scraping.

I will probably grind them and repaint before I roll it again or i might leave it. Depends on my mood at the time.

Putting it back together is proving more difficult than it should as despite my best efforts many of the bolts etc have disappeared. :oops:

My anglegrinder is one of those fine old traditional Tesco Value ones. Yes really! Seven whole English pounds and something remarkably similar could be yours. What does that buy, two pints? No contest. Two pints can stop you driving forever, one anglegrinder could help you revive an interesting old car. Or even a Hillman Imp. :roll:

Actually I was really pleased to see that pic as my A40 will soon look like that... well in terms of attitude anyway. It might be a while before it matches in terms of actual beauty, but it is going to be turned on its left side so I can rip all the suspension off and attack the underside with wire-brush and Hammerite. Er, and all the suspension components too.

Top Bo11oX!

Just wanted to say thanks to Autoshite's very own Mister Bo11ox for picking up and stashing a bumper for me about six months ago which he passed on to the ever so wonderful Lankytim to bring down to the BMC/BL show today.

:D

My anglegrinder is one of those fine old traditional Tesco Value ones. Yes really! Seven whole English pounds and something remarkably similar could be yours.

Mine was £5.20 from the cash and carry. First time I used it the fingerguard came loose, hit the spinning disc, whipped around and nearly took my eye out. After that it was fingerguardless which made for bum-clenching grinding sessions. I'd have rather had the two pints!

Posted Image

On Saturday MM5 and myself went to the Wales to get away from the braying mongs and to attempt to repair some of the stupid things that had gone wrong on the Amazon.

Actually, it was more MM5 grafting and me supplying the transport and food, but you know what I mean. We saw a Gilbern Invader on the back of a low loader at Llangollen services as well.

Posted Image

The door handles and window winders are twats to get out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Door and door card off. The mechanism to wind the window is a stupid design, and while we got the window up, with everything connected it wouldn't wind down as the cable just slides through the loop on the bottom of the window gutter. Arse.

Posted Image

Yeah. For some reason there was a spare window winder in the bottom of the door cavity. It's obviously been there since the door was done. Why couldn't I hear it?

Posted Image

Well, steering wheels are hard to store. The one closest to the camera is from a '63 car, which has a subtly different spline but still apparently fits on my column. I bleddy hope so, because my Nardi was resplined off the column this wheel came off.

Posted Image

And we'll have a wanked up shot of the tool box to finish on.

Other jobs we had a go at:

1. Indicator buckets - Taken off but no Tiger Seal and the mounting plate was rusted to frig. 70% done.

2. Get the revcunter off so it can be refurbished - Done.

3. See if the Nardi goes on - Stiffest splines of evAr so no dice.

4. Bootlid wonkiness - needs shimmage.

5. Replace 'broken' reversing bulb - No bulb present. Bulb needed. FAIL.

I've fitted the Ebay bumper that made its way to me via Mr_Bo11ox and Lankytim.

This is what the old one looked like. Pretty sure I had a go at straightening it after this photo was taken but it was probably knocked again since as it was all banana shaped again.

Posted Image

And now.

Posted Image

Obviously a car as basic as mine shouldn't be seen with overiders so I took them off the new one and filled the holes with chrome screws. Oddly the little chrome blanking plugs on the original bumper didn't fit the overider holes of the new one.

I have a brand new MOT Certificate for the 156 today, with only one advisory (a slightly worn suspension bush) At a mere 9 years old I know it is still Futureshite(?) but it is Italian so should I now relax for the next 12 months or should I quit while I'm ahead? :)

Seth, power to you for finding that car at all, and even more for using it. I remember them when they were new (a couple of my teachers had them) and I can't ever remember seeing an estate with a straight bumper. I went on to have three saloons...

I finally drove the Pao last night :D Head gasket and cambelt are all sorted, and it fored up and runs a lot better now :)

Got a track rod end to fit tonight, and the horn to sort then it's in for a test next week.

First impressions are it's mega slow! Needs more power!

It looks ok :D The floor in mine was more like a hammock, it wasn't attached at the sides. It used to scare me a bit actually.

Cool, thanks. :D:D

Yours sounds like it was similar to mine. Here is a close up of the NS/R floor.

Posted Image

Was like that all the way along. Where the metal seems to get good again its actually a plate that has be put over the rot and on one spot had simply held some metal on with underseal which fell away as I scraped it back. :shock: It was even worse on the other side.

Its my mates fault. When we first rolled it he bashed it with a screwdriver and said 'Blimey, pretty solid that'. Tit. Was always going to be knacked after he said that.

Have cut it out all the way along each side and put new metal in. Not the most aesthetically pleasing job, but solid enough.

Pao now has the correct ignition timing, a horn that works, a new track rod end and new wiper blades. Test next week! :)

It also needs a pair of new tyres, and the spare was flat, with a 6" long 1/4 drive extension bar in it!!!

Quick update on Astrashite.

I *think* I have got to the bottom of the shitty idle speed. I messed about with a vacuum hose - not that I really did anything except take it off and put it back on again. Started it and the idle speed went low to about 500rpm. Bearing in mind this is with the ICV disconnected, so I reconnected it again and bingo! It idled at just over 1k so still wasn't right. Revved it a couple of times then it started to hunt! Idle was going up and down all the time. Disconnected the Throttle Position Sensor and the revs went up. I'm guessing the TPS is knackered because the revs 'stick' when changing gear down the road. Does that sound feasible??

Oh and it's in for a cambelt/waterpump change next Thursday. I will also do a service after discovering it's not been looked after....the plug leads were last changed at a 36,000 miles service in December 1998!! :lol:

*EDIT* - I have done a paperclip test on it and it's got faults...

15 - Coolant temp sensor voltage high

21 - TPS voltage high

56 - Idle air control voltage high

71 - Intake air temp sensor voltage high

The ICV voltage high was due to it being disconnected...so that makes the TPS sound even more likely it's the culprit behind all this.

Take the starter out, pull back the bit with the teeth on it and clean the revealed area with WD40 then see if it moves more freely, do it a few times, sounds like its got crudded up and isn't disengaging properly :wink:

That's super. Thanks. Obviously, after being given this information, I went straight outside and worked on the CX instead, finding a huge split in the intake hose which explains nicely why it runs like a bag of poo! Pleased to have got to the bottom of that one. That's two cars diagnosed and two new things added to the To Do list.

I spent a couple of hours trying to paint the Herald's rusty underneath. I got about a third done before I got sick of it and gave up for the day.

What a miserable job. I can only get the car as high as my axle stands (not high enough to be comfortable) and I'm using POR-15 paint which is very runny and goes everywhere.

Might get a bit more done tomorrow, or I might spend the time doing ANYTHING ELSE.

my se5 Scimitar has 12 months MOT

passed this afternoon, at its first attempt

the last MOT certificate was issued on 22nd July 1991

908 miles in the last 19 years

Posted Image

off to local dvliars office in the morning to change to historic tax and pick up my free taxdisc :D

huge thanks to scaryoldcortina for his help, support and musical accompaniment over the last 6 weeks