Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Megane / ShiteLK

Supernaut

Just now, Supernaut said:

It really does have a lazy auto box, doesn't it?

I had Mr Moog say to me "It really isn't that quick..." when he handed it over.

You do have to be in 'drive it like you stole it' mode with them - gentle press on the throttle gets you not a lot - leaden right foot really helps. Big problem I find is there's a lot of pedal travel until you hit the yee-haw button and that takes a bit of getting used to - once you master that :-)

• Agree 2

I thought it was pretty quick provided you apply the boot correctly and get kickdown.

I reckon a manual one would be good, I think the boxes are just like that and even changing fluid etc wouldn't make it much quicker.

That looks smashing... 

Coming from electric car or the 320cdi c class, this definitely feels slow.  As you say it is probably down to gearbox, could do with a sport mode! 

For roof down cruising it is a lovely place to be.  Loads of room inside and the boot is a good side.  Sideways action is also possible if you provoke it enough .  

Personally I found it rather quick myself, although Never drove it, but gave a guided tour to Supernaut my local 'Burn'  route  on a mix of roads and for me felt rather quick! The sound helped, as well as the weather! Worst part I found was other road users who were typical crossovers and Aberdeenshire driver mentalities...What got me most was when kicking it to 90 70 on a clear bit of duel carriageway, with the roof down I could have a conversation, and I'm 30 and admit my hearing is rather shih thanks to work! 

Oh god...I really am now the '30 year old boomer'? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In a severe fit of fiddling while Rome burns, I gave the ShiteLK a quick hoover out and went over all the windows with glass cleaner.

Hopefully I evicted a few Dave Q and Moog farts.

IMG_20240623_093723.jpg.1af525a2fdaa001edecb5011faf392af.jpg

The BMW also got about half a ton of leafy detritus evicted from its footwells.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think I've done almost 200 miles in the SLK already!

It lived up to its ShiteLK moniker earlier when it refused to put the roof up. So I just locked it and wandered off, as I'd parked in a quiet wee town anyway.

After having some time to think about what it had done, then after I drove it home, the roof closed first try.

Hmmmmm.

Narrows eyes at the SLK

I find myself just "pootling" about in it at about the speed limit. I could boot it, but the way the autobox is set up, it feels like I'm waking up a grumpy old dog every time I ask it to go quickly. It's all "oh, do I have to? Fine then."

The scuttle shake is real, too. On a few sections of familiar road I thought one of the wheels had gone horribly out of balance before realising it was the scuttle shake then bursting out laughing.

• Haha 2

I've been reading up on the roof action as I've got the ultra cheap 320CLK I'm convinced will do the same..... 

Battery disconnect for a short while will reset the sensors apparently...... 

Weird one was if your rear end is too close to another object they prevent opening and closing apparently... Seems true - as mine wouldn't open, I moved it 33ft from the fence behind and it worked immediately. Bloody bizarre tbh. 

Good luck out there - they're weirdly addictive to pootling...... 

2 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

I've been reading up on the roof action as I've got the ultra cheap 320CLK I'm convinced will do the same..... 

Battery disconnect for a short while will reset the sensors apparently...... 

Weird one was if your rear end is too close to another object they prevent opening and closing apparently... Seems true - as mine wouldn't open, I moved it 33ft from the fence behind and it worked immediately. Bloody bizarre tbh. 

Good luck out there - they're weirdly addictive to pootling...... 

Interesting.

It closed fine when I was back home, a lot closer than 33ft to a fence.

It refused to close in a fairly open car park, and I'd gone forwards into the space too.

I was having some problems with the boot latch, but twiddled it with the key blade and got it working again...

Wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Whatever! It's all closed up now and I commute to work in the Megane all week anyway.

On 23/06/2024 at 22:17, Supernaut said:

Interesting.

It closed fine when I was back home, a lot closer than 33ft to a fence.

It refused to close in a fairly open car park, and I'd gone forwards into the space too.

I was having some problems with the boot latch, but twiddled it with the key blade and got it working again...

Wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Whatever! It's all closed up now and I commute to work in the Megane all week anyway.

Sure you didn't have the slide cover in the boot open?

Apologies..... 3ft of course! 

@Jim Bell yup - 1st thing I checked as I had tools in the boot and thought they'd knocked something.

Still not sure but the only difference was moving the car forward from the fence. 

Anyway - service now and SRS lights now on so other things to worry about.