I'll get round to it at some point - Planes, Trains, and Automobiles: Nuremberg, birthplace of rallying, reached. Pants destroyed.

Rust Collector

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

What would you folks like to see me drag out of the field and fix this year?

I guess her friends is not the right answer? 🤣

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Just be aware, the 2.1 is a seriously tight fit in the BX. As in they used to say it couldn’t be done, but then someone did and it was a serious ball ache of a job 

I can’t remember where I read about it, but I recalled seeing that. I was looking at the engine bay in my BX last night, trying to get my head around the size difference and the implications.

Just now, High Jetter said:

I guess her friends is not the right answer? 🤣

Don’t you tempt me 🤣

11 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

ZAZ 968

You should definitely start on this one.

• Agree 1

This thing has certainly tried your patience. Good on you for persevering. I think many would have resorted to a gallon of E10 and a lighted match!

• Thanks 1

I hope it’s not an omen to the MOT this morning, but my son woke up at half 12 last night and couldn’t get back to sleep until about 3am. My daughter then woke up at just after 4am and was up for about 40 minutes. For some reason one of my bollocks hurt most of the night and I felt queasy.

For good balance, the couple of hours sleep I did get was peppered with vivid nightmares.

I’m absolutely fucked.

Only one slot in the toaster is working so I’m having breakfast by instalments.

IMG_8682.jpeg.7b5f4a424c6ae27f39ac3450a49cdc40.jpeg

‘Dad, I heard that you were stressed out this morning, so I’ve rolled in some fox shit for you and got soaking wet too. You’re welcome.’

IMG_8687.jpeg.a05cdad5fb90053b273d77b2faf9d100.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

‘Dad, I heard that you were stressed out this morning, so I’ve rolled in some fox shit for you and got soaking wet too. You’re welcome.’

IMG_8687.jpeg.a05cdad5fb90053b273d77b2faf9d100.jpeg

Good job they looks so bloody cute 🥺 ! All is forgiven. 

• Agree 1

Babies, bollocks and toasters. The bad luck is out of the way early this morning, only up from here! Good luck with the XM. 
I heard the XM stands for eXcellent Machine. 

• Haha 2

I’ve made it here with all my fluids contained inside.

The car hasn’t leaked yet either.

IMG_8690.jpeg.0f24899354127e4c1de22f522e90f8b3.jpeg

11 minutes ago, rob88h said:

I heard the XM stands for eXcellent Machine.

The way it’s been going I’d swear it stood for eXtreme Misery.

• Rust Collector changed the title to I'll get round to it at some point - XM MOT Day: Forts and Pears

Well that didn’t last long. It dropped its oil out this time.

I don’t think I like XM’s anymore.

16 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Well that didn’t last long. It dropped its oil out this time.

I don’t think I like XM’s anymore.

All of its oil? 

Blimey it is cursed. Don't know what to say. Thoughts and prayers. 

15 minutes ago, grogee said:

All of its oil? 

Blimey it is cursed. Don't know what to say. Thoughts and prayers. 

Not all of it, but a respectable sized puddle. Plus a bit of coolant for good measure.

I parked up outside the test centre afterwards and witnessed the oil leak and some drips of coolant.

It’s now at home, it still has oil and coolant in it, and it’s refusing to leak anything whilst sat idling.

It is getting warm, so I wonder if my fan switch isn’t working, and that’s causing it to vomit a bit of coolant out.

The oil will require more investigation. It’s either something turbo related or the rear main seal judging by the location of the drip.

• Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

Not all of it, but a respectable sized puddle. Plus a bit of coolant for good measure.

I parked up outside the test centre afterwards and witnessed the oil leak and some drips of coolant.

It’s now at home, it still has oil and coolant in it, and it’s refusing to leak anything whilst sat idling.

It is getting warm, so I wonder if my fan switch isn’t working, and that’s causing it to vomit a bit of coolant out.

The oil will require more investigation. It’s either something turbo related or the rear main seal judging by the location of the drip.

Chuck some stop leak in it and say a small prayer . Out of interest, what grade of engine oil are you using ?

23 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Chuck some stop leak in it and say a small prayer . Out of interest, what grade of engine oil are you using ?

I’ve not changed the oil in it yet (bad me) so assume it’s 10w40 or similar. I was going to service it after the MOT, just in case it had a massive failure that resulted in it being destined for scrapping/chucking in the field to return to Mother Earth.

check the rocker cover gasket. due to the angle of the engine a small leak there can lead to a huge puddle as it all collects and.drips.down.back of the engine. It tends to pool on things then deposit it one fell swoop. mine made a right old mess of the mot centre too

• Thanks 1

oh and if its any consolation my day isn't going much better either!

20240525_092829.jpg

• Sad 3

22 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

oh and if its any consolation my day isn't going much better either!

20240525_092829.jpg

Oh dear, what’s happened there?!

Cheers for the tip on the rocker cover gasket, could be an easy fix if it’s that. I can take the inlet off with my eyes closed now, I’ve done it so many times.

I think my coolant leak is the radiator, so that sucks.

IMG_8696.jpeg.b08ea521a4d95cc53a7b0f9eea679e70.jpeg

• Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Rust Collector said:

I’ve not changed the oil in it yet (bad me) so assume it’s 10w40 or similar. I was going to service it after the MOT, just in case it had a massive failure that resulted in it being destined for scrapping/chucking in the field to return to Mother Earth.

It's not helping itself avoid that last one is it 😂

18 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

It's not helping itself avoid that last one is it 😂

I think it wants to find out what being turned into a washing machine is like.

16 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

if oil is coming down rear of engine I'd say its very likely to be that 

I’ll try and get in for a better look at some point this weekend. A gasket is about £15.

A radiator is about £100 though, so I’m hoping one of the cars here can donate a radiator as I’m not in a position to spend that right before we’re meant to be going on holiday.

My mrs has suggested offering it up for scrap money in order to get it out the way, recoup what I’ve spent on parts and a fraction of my time, and let someone else have a crack at getting it over the last hurdle. I’m not really feeling it for this car anymore so I may give it a clean and offer it up, but after a shit night and a disappointing morning I want to sleep on it first so I have a clear head.

I do have a small treat for myself lined up this afternoon so that’s something. Non-car collection of something essential* to the cause of shiteing is due to take place in about an hour or so.

What a fucking PITA

And I thought Land Rovers were shit 😉

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, N Dentressangle said:

What a fucking PITA

And I thought Land Rovers were shit 😉

The most worrying thing is that the Discovery 3 is the only one that hasn’t given me huge amounts of grief lately.

But don’t worry, it needs an MOT next month so that will all change soon 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As for my miniature collection today:

I was idly browsing FB marketplace last night as you do, and I saw something that made my heart flutter the moment I saw it.

A short outing and after handing over 35 pounds sterling, I had this in my clutches.

IMG_8746.jpeg.ec8e594e2f8a0c93dad72c6c17b0b1a2.jpeg

That should really make my life easier when it comes to dragging things round the farm, and recovering my cars quickly when they break down locally.

• Rust Collector changed the title to I'll get round to it at some point - I’m all out of XM piss jokes and I’ve bought an A frame

Just show it the small petrol can. Remind it that if it continues to fuck you off...

• Haha 1

I gave the XM a wash today with the intent of selling as-is.

IMG_8784.jpeg.1973c71ea72cd3eb4cac0f32e1eeb660.jpeg

IMG_8785.jpeg.4f3b7360c7018d5ac645305ef7228af1.jpeg

IMG_8786.jpeg.cd9acb50491eb687b6563f823fc46822.jpeg

IMG_8791.jpeg.ee4a3ad27517bf856edc2691ff630da5.jpeg

IMG_8793.jpeg.d61401ff4978c1cf2c936019b051cf60.jpeg

IMG_8792.jpeg.3b7b5f938c7337d99cd157d4848ba49b.jpeg

IMG_8796.jpeg.54c961c6e23da4bc368918b9b28cc7d9.jpeg

IMG_8797.jpeg.329c435b6cab100d0fdffdb099bb0fb2.jpeg

IMG_8798.jpeg.e8bbf725ac3f8b137881e2491d3adfbe.jpeg

Car Take Back are offering £270 so I feel like I’d be cheeky asking much more than £300. I’m still torn though as I’m into it for near to that in parts, plus countless hours.

Part of me wants to just change the rocker cover, chuck some radweld in and see if it can keeps its shit together for long enough to be tested.

I’m really not sure what to do with this car now, but I do really need it gone before we go on holiday in July. I’m quite disappointed that I’ve run out of time and not got it to where I wanted it to be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rust Collector said:

I’m still torn though as I’m into it for near to that in parts, plus countless hours.

FFS, man ! All it needs is a day's work* and twenty quid** in parts and it will be ready for you to drive around pretending you're someone very, very important :

spacer.png

*May be longer, because hydraulic Citroen.
** This presumes an araldite repair for the radiator, though ebay has a new one for £60.