Jump to content

The grumpy thread


Recommended Posts

Posted
7 hours ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Surely, the AS way is to invest that £45 in a VCDS clone, and do it yourself ?

Surely the AS  way is to own sumat free of this BS.

Posted
12 hours ago, Somerset Suffolk said:

been quoted £45 to code a stop start battery on the Seat that I've already bought and fitted  - they said it would take half an hour ?? had a google and its 4 lines of data to update - Stop/start is shite 

I did it with my Icarsoft box of tricks when I changed the battery on my Passat a couple of months ago, literally takes about a minute once you've connected the code reader up, and I'm not the best at doing these type of things.

You tell it the battery make, AH and move the number along one. Its not blown up yet and keeps starting so I must have done something right.

I'm going to Bristol and Corsham on Monday, happy to bring the Icarsoft with me and meet up with you if thats suitable.

  • Like 3
Posted
11 hours ago, Popsicle said:

I did it with my Icarsoft box of tricks when I changed the battery on my Passat a couple of months ago, literally takes about a minute once you've connected the code reader up, and I'm not the best at doing these type of things.

You tell it the battery make, AH and move the number along one. Its not blown up yet and keeps starting so I must have done something right.

I'm going to Bristol and Corsham on Monday, happy to bring the Icarsoft with me and meet up with you if thats suitable.

many thanks for the offer Popsicle - I'm looking at buying something that can do the same and have a go myself - much appreciated all the same - cheers 

Posted

Screenshot_20261005_134853_Chrome.png.9e3fc5ff413dc09c6a77edf24c9ec97f.png

My post from the grin thread was short lived as it's not fixed. Worse now, it's firing the abs whenever he brakes even slowly and gently. He turned around and worked from home today. 

Went over jsut now and re scanned the car and it's the same sensor again 

Screenshot_20261005_125021.png.3a3b0f52782200e2eebd42e655daed5c.png

I think I've fucked/it was already fucked the abs ring. It had a build up of what felt like thick grease, and I flicked some off with a screwdriver behind the brake disc. Now I've seen a pic of the part I think that was the outer coating. Plus I probably dented it tapping out the old sensor. 

An entire hub doesn't look too bad nor is expensive but I don't have the spline sockets needed. He's messaged an actual mobile mechanic to see what he would charge as I'd probably be able to do it but it'd take all day... Plus someone with a better code reader can check if it's the sensor or it's reading that's fucked. And it would get done faster as I've got the kids this weekend... 

Going to have the wheel back off tomorrow after work and check all the wiring and the loom as it runs off as apparently that's a common failure point, and/or disconnect rhe abs sensor fully so it hopefully just puts the lights back in the dash and disables the abs entirely for now 

  • Sad 3
Posted

was looking to go to bicester scramble and the later one is this time of year

was yesterday ffs

so looking at the next one thinking it would be march

no its january

and its 41 quid!!!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!??!?!

wtf - flight to paris is 75 euros and only 20 to get in for retromobile

Posted
4 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Screenshot_20261005_134853_Chrome.png.9e3fc5ff413dc09c6a77edf24c9ec97f.png

My post from the grin thread was short lived as it's not fixed. Worse now, it's firing the abs whenever he brakes even slowly and gently. He turned around and worked from home today. 

Went over jsut now and re scanned the car and it's the same sensor again 

Screenshot_20261005_125021.png.3a3b0f52782200e2eebd42e655daed5c.png

I think I've fucked/it was already fucked the abs ring. It had a build up of what felt like thick grease, and I flicked some off with a screwdriver behind the brake disc. Now I've seen a pic of the part I think that was the outer coating. Plus I probably dented it tapping out the old sensor. 

An entire hub doesn't look too bad nor is expensive but I don't have the spline sockets needed. He's messaged an actual mobile mechanic to see what he would charge as I'd probably be able to do it but it'd take all day... Plus someone with a better code reader can check if it's the sensor or it's reading that's fucked. And it would get done faster as I've got the kids this weekend... 

Going to have the wheel back off tomorrow after work and check all the wiring and the loom as it runs off as apparently that's a common failure point, and/or disconnect rhe abs sensor fully so it hopefully just puts the lights back in the dash and disables the abs entirely for now 

I seem to remember you said you used an aftermarket sensor. I would suspect that before fitting new hub, ABS ring etc. It seems 99% of aftermarket stuff is shite. 

Posted

I just love it when you get just far enough into a job that stopping is going to be a major pain in the rear when you discover that a minor but essential supply has decided to completely phase out of existence.

Solder in this case.  There must be at least three of four reels of it in here, probably same again in the garage.  Can I find any of them?  Can I hell.

So that's going to be another half hour wasted going out to get more.

  • Agree 1
  • Congratulations 1
Posted
9 minutes ago, DavieW said:

I seem to remember you said you used an aftermarket sensor. I would suspect that before fitting new hub, ABS ring etc. It seems 99% of aftermarket stuff is shite. 

Yea it was a cheap sensor... But the abs ring is either covered in thick greasy crud or fucked too and we don't want to do too much parts darts. So far only £8 has been spent on the issue 

This chap he knows apparently does vw's alot so should have a better code reader than I at least to troubleshoot it properly. He's waiting for a message back. 

I think the sensor is ok*, as the symptoms have now changed. But I don't know for sure. Will see if I can peer down behind the brake disc tomorrow without taking it apart and see if the end of the sensor is still intact too

Posted

After a couple of months and several hundred miles without issue, I went out to the Renault 21 this morning only to find it had dumped its coolant.

I was already cutting it fine so jumped in the Peugeot and took that to work instead.

Very frustrating, but it's a 35-year-old car so hardly unexpected. I suppose I ought to be grateful it happened while it was parked up. 

Got home and started topping it up in an attempt to trace the leak. I could see it dripping from underneath the car almost immediately, but it was already getting dark and I couldn't trace the source. Looking at where it's dripping from, I think it's most likely the water pump.

It doesn't make any untoward noises that I'd associate with a failing water pump, so I'm not really sure. 

Far too many non-car-related dramas going on at the moment, but it deserves better than to be sitting on the back-burner for weeks/months on end, which is what will end up happening if I keep it.

I think a reluctant eBay no reserve auction might be the quickest way forward. 

  • Sad 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...