Marm's Motors: Spanners Out!

Marm Toastsmith

I've barely driven the Audi, and the radio isn't working because repeated non-starts a few weeks ago temporarily drained the battery. Today it had the rocker cover gaskets replaced (very much needed as the plugs were soaked with oil again) and basically a full service - plugs, oil, filters... 

Of course it has repaid me by the exhaust is now blowing out of the other cat flexi. It is an hateful thing really, but I think I have decided I am just going to keep throwing money at it, it can't keep breaking surely? At some point it has to start getting better. Or going up in value.

On the plus side it's running better following a service, feels much more responsive.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Audi Improved!

Forward progress at last on the Audi!

First up it is (unsurprisingly) happier for a service. Seems to be revving much more freely and is definitely quicker.

Even better, today I sorted out the radio - entered the code, manually cleaned the (filthy) tape head (tapes now play in stereo!) and fitted a bluetooth adapter which works really well.

Only downside is to fit the bluetooth dongle I had to disconnect the original multiway connector - the bluetooth thing (blue connector) uses the wiring for the non-existent optional CD changer, but there are also an "option" section which I think talks to the display (so I've lost that) but the worst of it is that the rear speakers were apparently connected via an amp - and I've lost those. I'm wondering about hacking the original connector or whether an adapter exists to break up the connector into 3 sections @philibusmo?

IMG_2537.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

IMG_2542.jpeg

IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_2543.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Yep, that

The amp and rear speaker outputs are on the far end of the plug, the section labeled as Line-Out.

As an aside, the centre console in your car is worth a little bit as it allows the fitment of a double DIN radio, whereas most B5 A4s didn't come with the symphony radio and and just came with a single DIN Delta or Concert radio.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I noticed a whirring sound coming from the engine bay in the Audi, intermittent and dependent on engine speed. It was worse when going up a hill. Gut feeling was fan blades rubbing against something.

I opened the engine bay and sure enough the seal for the bonnet was trapped under the airbox hose inlet thing - mechanic must have put it back together in a hurry and missed it. I put it back together.

Also, see pic, this hose/trim bit was just loose tucked in to the engine bay. It's in the boot now, I had a quick look but couldn't work out where it had come from.

I'm not planning to give him a hard time about it but it's annoying. Trying to work out whether it matters, probably not. He's cheap and honest, and everyone makes mistakes.

Continuing the trend of things getting better but also going slightly backwards, I got and fitted the connector above for the stereo. Brilliant service from the Chinese lads again. Only one of the rear speakers is working, but it's quite possible that it's been like that for a while. I'm not too bothered.

As ever with old shit I guess part of the secret to happy ownership is accepting that good enough is good enough. The mind boggles to think how many minor bodges exist on the average shitemobile.

IMG_2679.jpeg

• Like 2

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: German Swedish & French achieved

I forgot to update this, but in short, the Audi is basically all good* now. I got the 2nd cat replaced and weighed in the old lovely cats for £300 so it was a cost neutral repair. Showed the mechanic that hose^^^ and he recognised where it came from and put it back.

Not quite sure why I need this and a Berlingo but for now I'm enjoying both and the contrast of a rattly simple french box and an over-engineered but nice german cruiser is a fun one.

On 24/05/2024 at 19:01, Marm Toastsmith said:

I forgot to update this, but in short, the Audi is basically all good*

Oh no it’s not.

It’s ruined my day again with a fucked drivers side wiper. Fucking thing. Was about to drive it 100 miles to a music event, got as far as filling the tank and didn’t even make it out of town.

At least it happened close to home.

6A377B36-156F-499A-B480-983DA053B856.jpeg

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: German Swedish & French. Audi fucked again.

The spindles seize in the linkages on old VAG shite. Sometimes they just stop but sometimes they pop a link off so you just have one arm waving about. Replace the whole thing, they’re not hard to do.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eagle eyed forumites may have noticed the arrival of the Super Cub (as well as the Berlingo, which somehow has its own thread). There’s no rhyme or reason to it.

Anyway, today is my birthday so I put the Super Cub back together, insured and taxed it, (total cost £50) and rode it round the block a few times.

It’s great! 50cc doesn’t exactly propel you up hills like a rocket, but with a bit of a run up, and avoiding steep main roads, it’ll be a handy and fun thing for running local errands.

Very happy with the fleet as it stands. The Cub and the Citroen make a perfect pair of modest, likeable, capable vehicles, and Mrs Toastsmith’s Volvo is hard to fault.

3B859DDF-541F-49D9-8832-A05DDB9E9044.jpeg

1FE1F56B-2F0A-4735-AB8E-03F0E743F091.jpeg

FCECF759-44FC-409A-865D-F4A2E532ECDA.jpeg

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: SUPER CUB!

+1 on the Berlingo and 50cc ped combo. Whats with the light on the front? Is it so the front rack can carry a pillion in the dark safely?

*Edit just noticed your chrome trim on the grill, get you all posh and that.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Eagle eyed forumites may have noticed the arrival of the Super Cub (as well as the Berlingo, which somehow has its own thread). There’s no rhyme or reason to it.

Anyway, today is my birthday so I put the Super Cub back together, insured and taxed it, (total cost £50) and rode it round the block a few times.

It’s great! 50cc doesn’t exactly propel you up hills like a rocket, but with a bit of a run up, and avoiding steep main roads, it’ll be a handy and fun thing for running local errands.

Very happy with the fleet as it stands. The Cub and the Citroen make a perfect pair of modest, likeable, capable vehicles, and Mrs Toastsmith’s Volvo is hard to fault.

3B859DDF-541F-49D9-8832-A05DDB9E9044.jpeg

1FE1F56B-2F0A-4735-AB8E-03F0E743F091.jpeg

FCECF759-44FC-409A-865D-F4A2E532ECDA.jpeg

That has to be the perfect fleet, does it not? 

Also, have an obligatory Fast Show picture:

ted-and-ralph.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grogee said:

That has to be the perfect fleet, does it not?

Despite the lack of prestige, I genuinely feel like I’ve just levelled up.

13 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Whats with the light on the front? Is it so the front rack can carry a pillion in the dark safely?

I think the bike was originally specced and used for newspaper deliveries, but yeah, probably to avoid the cargo obscuring the headlight.

Took the Honda out for a longer run this evening. Getting used to the 3 speed semi-automatic transmission, and generally loving the little bike. I've always wanted a Cub, and I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner. I'm impressed with how well it goes for a 50.

It's not perfect though. Main issue I noticed while out was that it was smoking quite badly. Having owned mostly MZs and a Vespa I'm used to the smell of burning oil but I realised half way through the ride that something was not quite right seeing as I'm riding a 4 stroke machine.

First thing I did when I got back was to check the oil - and when I did I felt a bit bad for thrashing the little bike. It looks pretty bad - watery thin, silvery with a bit of mayo, and it smells petrolly.

IMG_3534.jpeg.c01d9f3fd102e82bc29d126a907a0586.jpeg

First things first - I'm going to give it an oil change ASAP, and I'm assuming that whatever I can find in the garage is probably better than what's in there already... I wonder why it's so thin though and wondering if there's an issue causing fuel to mix with the engine oil. It's a fuel injected machine, and as far as I'm aware there's no fuel tap, so traditional carb faults are out...

Edit: thinking about it oil could just be thin because it's warm... exhaust on the bike is quite sooty which perhaps indicates it's been smoking for a while... still, got to be worth changing, possibly for better synthetic oil that won't thin so much when hot?

D8090A60-6380-42AB-926A-E461B4081670.jpeg

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Is the cub 50 classed as a moped on the V5? I.e is it legit for an AM licence holder?

I'm not sure about this... currently only got the new keeper's supplement. I've got a full licence so haven't worried about it. Will update if and when I find out!

On a not entirely related note, I took it for a short run today, and it wasn't too smoky... it seems to only smoke when it's properly warmed up.

Ancient oil that's never been changed and a lot of short journeys would be my guess - especially on a bike like that which isn't generally going to be used as a long distance tourer.  Change it for some good quality oil of the correct grade and it will likely help.  Probably worth doing it again after a short time if it's as grim as it sounds.  Not as though they hold a lot anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Is the cub 50 classed as a moped on the V5? I.e is it legit for an AM licence holder?

There was a thread on one of the cub forums about this and technically it isn't, or at least most cubs aren't, AM category mopeds. There was a special moped category model, I can't find the details from a quick search.

I think it might be that they are not stamped with a 28mph design speed?

I doubt most coppers or insurance companies know this but yes technically you can't ride a C50 at 16 or on an AM licence, it's A1.

52 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I think it might be that they are not stamped with a 28mph design speed?

It’s good for almost 40.

1 hour ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

It’s good for almost 40.

It must have changed since the 70s because my Puch did almost 50, even though it was classed as a moped 

Ah, I see you have the same bloody annoying silver faced instruments as I do.  Swapping those for white on black is definitely on my to do list.  Especially in shadow or at dawn/dusk it's damned near impossible to read the bloody thing if you've got the headlights on.

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Ah, I see you have the same bloody annoying silver faced instruments as I do.  Swapping those for white on black is definitely on my to do list.  Especially in shadow or at dawn/dusk it's damned near impossible to read the bloody thing if you've got the headlights on.

I haven’t noticed any issue with them yet, although the km/h scale is hard to read. I do prefer white on black from an aesthetic point of view.

Clocks in this have been replaced once already so the mileage reads wrong. Apparently it’s possible to reset/sync the clocks to the car with a code reader? Would be nice to do.

• Marm Toastsmith changed the title to Marm's Motors: Spanners Out!

Decided to get the spanners out today. Started gently by checking fluids and tyre pressures, then cleaning the leaves out of the boot surround on the S40. Was pleased to note mechanic had already cleaned most of the crap out from under the engine bay when he serviced it, that's one less job on the to do list.

Also had a quick look for the paint code but didn't find it. Any ideas? Needs a few small touch ins.

IMG_3556.jpeg.7d8d4cf33878838fc7f0d34932fef9c1.jpeg

Tackled the wipers on the A4. As per @Rod/b's suggestion the spindle had partially seized but freed up nicely with liberal application of wd40. Unfortunately when I refitted the arm on the balljoint it just popped off as soon as I turned the wipers on.

IMG_3553.jpeg.403a177e9f7b1e4e734bd3abd7008791.jpegIMG_3555.jpeg.5cad2d5813f0dc519cbbdf6c335eb7db.jpeg

Ebay search indicates replacement linkages are made of unobtanium so I'm going to attempt to bodge it with these clips. Could find plenty of LHD ones though...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354805160182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uk2izijmryy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jw4FDSTTS7W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_8535.jpeg.9c134496fc4df920cc0da5d2a8ca06e7.jpeg

Got a few errands to run now, I might do a bit more later this afternoon.

4 hours ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Decided to get the spanners out today. Started gently by checking fluids and tyre pressures, then cleaning the leaves out of the boot surround on the S40. Was pleased to note mechanic had already cleaned most of the crap out from under the engine bay when he serviced it, that's one less job on the to do list.

Also had a quick look for the paint code but didn't find it. Any ideas? Needs a few small touch ins.

IMG_3556.jpeg.7d8d4cf33878838fc7f0d34932fef9c1.jpeg

Tackled the wipers on the A4. As per @Rod/b's suggestion the spindle had partially seized but freed up nicely with liberal application of wd40. Unfortunately when I refitted the arm on the balljoint it just popped off as soon as I turned the wipers on.

IMG_3553.jpeg.403a177e9f7b1e4e734bd3abd7008791.jpegIMG_3555.jpeg.5cad2d5813f0dc519cbbdf6c335eb7db.jpeg

Ebay search indicates replacement linkages are made of unobtanium so I'm going to attempt to bodge it with these clips. Could find plenty of LHD ones though...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354805160182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uk2izijmryy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jw4FDSTTS7W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_8535.jpeg.9c134496fc4df920cc0da5d2a8ca06e7.jpeg

Got a few errands to run now, I might do a bit more later this afternoon.

I've found those 'temporary' balljoint clips to be surprisingly long lasting and still holding things together a few years later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Popsicle said:

I've found those 'temporary' balljoint clips to be surprisingly long lasting and still holding things together a few years later.

Good to know. That Passat linkage looks like it will fit so I was leaning towards ordering it - undecided now!

22 minutes ago, Marm Toastsmith said:

Good to know. That Passat linkage looks like it will fit so I was leaning towards ordering it - undecided now!

YMMV but I've used them on a few things over the years and never had them pop off. On old boy mechanic put me onto them years ago and I've kept a couple on the garage shelf 'just in case' ever since.

• Like 1

Had a play with the Cub too...

Changed the oil. In the end I used "any old shit" - the internet recommends 10w/40, HBOL says 20w/50, but I found some Sainsburys 15w/40 in the garage so that's what I used. It's got to be better than what was in it already, I'll change it again soon, it's so easy to do.

IMG_3560.jpeg.61b613af40b4a32ef5dfc8a3f71b18af.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg.0e693422e1142070cae33d42924743ff.jpeg

IMG_3562.jpeg.67df2012346f3a788a16dd59106bd2b5.jpeg

Pulled the plug. It doesn't tell me much about the state of the bike other than "the plug's fucked". Amazing it runs as well as it does. I cleaned it but didn't bother resetting the gap. I'll order a replacement.

IMG_3563.jpeg.f1201be05f1d8b01ffe43c8cbeaad3e0.jpeg

Took the air filter out. I think it might be original to the bike. One of the screws was an absolute bugger to remove, rusted in place - obviously hadn't been touched in ages. I've hoovered the existing filter and it looks better but again I'll get a new one,

IMG_3568.jpeg.507a9eb749a80c235798abb6bcd9b318.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg.24e640fa5c6743dc0fb702a6f065d32c.jpeg

Bike is sounding better for an oil change and on a brief run without the oil filter seemed to run better too. Sounded fruity too...

It's almost as much  fun to tinker with as it is to ride.