Corona has arrived! (Toyota Corona EXiV Rescue)

Schaefft

11 hours ago, Schaefft said:

I've said it elsewhere before, I generally love cars of this era, but those bubble era cars are particularly interesting to me. Japan really was (subjectively) at its height economically at the time this car was conceived, and you really could tell with the rapid technological progress that happened not only in the automotive industry but across all of Japan. Who else would build a sport compact based hardtop sedan with 4-wheel steering at the time (apart from Mazda)? Put these cars into the context of time and you really start to appreciate them for what they were back then. Plus it just looks cool:

49618790188_aeb9059c3b_h.jpg

Thanks to the enabling powers of AS, almost anything is possible nowadays.

Yeah that's my favourite period too. How they produced so many variants, sold almost exclusively in their home markets, and still made money I have no idea. 

Really the mk3 Supra is the ultimate in WTF. 

2.0 24v n/a 150hp, or Twin Turbo 200hp

3.0 24v n/a 200hp, or TT 230hp

2.5 24v TT 276+hp

Personally I have the hots for the Corona Exiv 200GT;

10101016_199508.jpg

Popular in Russia, of all places, it seems

4 hours ago, Conan said:

I don't have anything to add except this.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/japanese-four-door-hardtops/

You're welcome. ?

That'll be my lunchbreak read then.? 

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

Yeah that's my favourite period too. How they produced so many variants, sold almost exclusively in their home markets, and still made money I have no idea. 

Really the mk3 Supra is the ultimate in WTF. 

2.0 24v n/a 150hp, or Twin Turbo 200hp

3.0 24v n/a 200hp, or TT 230hp

2.5 24v TT 276+hp

Personally I have the hots for the Corona Exiv 200GT;

10101016_199508.jpg

Popular in Russia, of all places, it seems

Yup, Russia, especially the eastern parts, really do appreciate their JDM grey market imports. That's probably where I'll source bits for mine from!

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

So it happened then, you got it?

Well, Mr. @Wingz123 should hand over the money to the owner today, then we just need to find a date at which the Corona will make its way to Newcastle! It'll be towards the end of the month, hopefully it then won't take too long before its MOT'd and on the road again. Leaves me plenty of time to order a few parts for it.

Apparently it has a Scorpion 739 aftermarket alarm fitted. That might be the first thing that needs to go into the bin unless its too much of a hassle to remove. Also look how filthy this engine bay is right now:

49627621876_90c50a4c26_h.jpg

Should anyone happen to have a good tip for where to buy parts for this Japanese market car, please let me know. I'm looking for a replacement coolant outlet (part# 16304-74110) that might be a little tricky to find. I'll probably have to get it from Japan/NZ/AUS (or Russia where these have been popular) but maybe I can find one more locally?

This could be a bit of an utterly useless suggestion. But that parts number appears to be the same as this shape Celica (not GT4) which you did get in the UK.

1934257734_ToyotaCelicaGT-Four(1).jpg.2fe7178c26935461413cdb761416ad6c.jpg

It was also on the ST171 Corona, which is basically the Carina II 2.0 GL. So perhaps even Toyota dealer would be able to source you this part? The engine does look incredibly similar to normal Corona of the era. :D

From my experience, at least here, Toyota dealers would be far more than happy to source you parts from Japan as long as it is still available. Not overnights, mind you.

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

As Conan says, that engine bay is very reminiscent of a ‘88 to ’92 Carina II Executive (that model/trim level only came as a 2 litre in the UK).
I would guess most mechanical bits would be identical. 

Lad over on ToyotaOwnersUK just bought a 2.0L CarinaE for some parts.... Might move on a whole car. It is Auto.

11 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Get you with your strut brace!

Interesting to see this shot, my Camry 2.2 appears to be awfully similar so that could be another avenue for spares? RockAuto could be useful?

IMG_0905.thumb.JPG.406fea378c9a7167247a41379eda3b42.JPG

Really pleased to see you've got this one on its way to you. You'll never tire of opening both front and rear doors and just looking at it.

Gotta love Toyota for parts cross compatibility. But still have to be careful though as they often updated the parts which may or may not fit.

Had this been a Vauxhall they'd change parts slightly so it wouldn't fit without changing the parts number. ?

By the way, my Corolla has strut brace too, which seems to have negligible effect on the handling.

Well, the coolant outlet is very similar to what you'd find in the Carina and Celica or even the US Camry, but the part did indeed change on all of them almost on a yearly basis, meaning the part numbers changed, and while the part might look similar, it may not fit after all. I can find the right part on Amayama.com who are basically a website sourcing their stuff directly in Japan. They say they have them in stock, obviously it does cost a little to get it shipped over here (I'll get a few bits for my Celsior as well while Im at it). From what I understand they will only check whether the part is actually available once you put a request in though. I'd like to think there will be one in Japan somewhere considering its a popular engine...

And yes, that strut brace probably is just a futile way if restoring structural integrity after removing most of the B-pillar (although it wouldnt help too much where it is). It's one of those cars where style counted more than substance?

Transfer of ownership has been initiated, I should get my V5 in a week or so! Meanwhile, have another look at this gloriously brown interior:

49633801488_9cc087b995_h.jpg

49633801528_2d7eecf3fb_h.jpg

49634595857_616dbc6eec_h.jpg

23 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

I can find the right part on Amayama.com who are basically a website sourcing their stuff directly in Japan.

This is a great save by the way. Beyond the call of duty.

I didn't know about that website - it lists some of the OEM Mazda bits I've found hard to source. It's all totally legit as far as you know? 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

This is a great save by the way. Beyond the call of duty.

I didn't know about that website - it lists some of the OEM Mazda bits I've found hard to source. It's all totally legit as far as you know? 

They are, plenty of threads about them in all types of car forums.

I have the brochure for this somewhere, and have spent many a long hour slack-jawedly gazing at it in the sanctuary of the bathroom.

It's a dead ringer for the Mazda Persona / Eunos 300, another JDM curiosity for which I don't have a brochure but will probably one day spend thousands of pounds on on a drunken whim.

1 hour ago, RoadworkUK said:

I have the brochure for this somewhere, and have spent many a long hour slack-jawedly gazing at it in the sanctuary of the bathroom.

It's a dead ringer for the Mazda Persona / Eunos 300, another JDM curiosity for which I don't have a brochure but will probably one day spend thousands of pounds on on a drunken whim.

I'd love to see some better scans of it, or buy it if you were to consider selling it! And yeah, the Eunos 300 is even more unusual as it wasn't even sold for 2 years before Mazda decided to kill it off. The interiors in those are amazing,

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/6/2020 at 5:39 PM, vulgalour said:

Is that an immobiliser thingy on the keyfob?  You know, the sort where you have to dob it against the dashboard and then have a time limit to get the key in the ignition.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, Schaefft said:

Apparently it has a Scorpion 739 aftermarket alarm fitted. That might be the first thing that needs to go into the bin unless its too much of a hassle to remove. Also look how filthy this engine bay is right now:

Now that key brings back memories. Cannot remember if mine was Scorpion or Cobra alarm. Had it on a car in the late 90's . It had that chirup sound when you armed or disarmed it. You have no fob so I suspect lost or an earlier,  sub cat 1 system fitted.

It went off with monotonous irregularity. Spent a day chasing wiring out of the car from the remnants of the 3 previous alarms that  Professionals* had fitted. It was alright after that. Unless I removed the battery and forgot to turn the alarm off. 

RECOMMEND: Remove as soon as possible: Cheaper electronics from that era including professional* fitters. It will probably be a right royal pain.