Yummy Rover Metro - HGF confirmed

egg

8 minutes ago, egg said:

While the filament looks intact, the interior light bulb isn't working. Of course, one I don't have in stock!

IMG_20200301_133631.thumb.jpg.728d108d21393526e0a4e28807a4395f.jpg

Thorn! thats pretty rare, although I have not looked into it in great depth, I have noticed you don't see many Thorn automotive lamps compared to other brands of lamps when comparing lamps of the same age (so between 1976-1991)

it would be interesting to see the Date code on it, as by 1991-1992 GE had bought thorn and was doing away with the Thorn brand name (it probably is original to the car)

I see some milky white deposits on the bulb which may indicate its gone to air and burnt out, (although if it has gone to air id expect some more deposits then what I currently see in the photo and the filament does not look oxidised)

an easy way to test is stick the bulb across a 9V battery like so :) 

image.thumb.png.6e43bc5aacf0a7ab5ff4e6565eec6d78.png

the Rarity of thorn Automotive lamps is one of the reasons I took this close up shot of one of Dolly's head lamp bulbs as I noticed it still has a faint thorn looking etch on the front and I was trying to see if I could make any details out

IMG_0656.thumb.JPG.4e4ccfd238ec5d62dc3c98ebabbc1f2c.JPG

(Dolly being from November 1976 it COULD be original, but it would be very early for a Thorn branded bulb, although it could also be Atlas branded from before Thorn ditched the atlas brand name, their etches being the same company etc! where very similar on some lamps)

(going by the blackening on the bulb wall, it is very well used!)

17 minutes ago, egg said:

full markings say:

37R (E11) 00035 245 R10W 12V 10W

No go on a 9V.

Aww probably means it has burnt out then 

(good news for you tho, it probably means its not a wiring issue!)

hmm its being a bit tricky to date! but my best guess is either 35 Nov 84, or 37 Jan 85

however according to the information I have on hand Thorn Automotive and miniature lamps don't normally use the 2 digit ELMA code

but use a number-letter code ie 1A would be January 1981 so, 7R could be it, but R is not valid since the letter is for the month and only goes to M for December (skipping over the letter I)

7 would be 1987 tho

Distracted from the radio stuff last weekend, I did at least order an interior bulb. seems like carparts4less will do free postage on the tiniest items - so I scored a new one for 16p delivered! Crazy.

IMG_20200306_161713.thumb.jpg.3755e36101196f80d35e94a9f0e6f795.jpg

In she goes..

IMG_20200306_162630.thumb.jpg.deb4853a591ebda8390cc9fa9c2440da.jpg

OK, we have a contact problem as well as a bulb problem. It does light up with some fiddling with the switch in the on position, but nothing in the doors open position (the door jamb switches are a known failure point I believe). Next step a bit of contact cleaner etc if it doesn't actually blow a gale again this weekend.

IMG_20200306_162806.thumb.jpg.4b112f1a5dcfb7c9a04b1dd512deb6f0.jpg

I think the light cover has an Austin Rover sign etched on it, but can't quite make it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not been near it due to various reasons, and I really don't want this to become another ornament...

But, the original V5  I received was incorrect - as it did not have my surname on, just first and middle name, so off it went again to Swansea....and turned around in 10 days or so - so now at least I have a correct V5.

On 2/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, egg said:

Issues then...

High

- Bonnet release is sticky and a bit unreliable, stretched cable maybe?
- Unidentified water leak - could be water pump (noisy), stat housing, or yeah - HGF!
- Nearside CV joint clicking, needs replacement
- Grease nipple check on the suspension needed
- No cambelt history (obviously while changing that, cam cover needs re-sealing)
- Short term rust repairs/prevention (although there is a very rusty rear of wheel arch that would actually need cutting out I think - longer term, perhaps not me that gets that done)

Medium
- blower motor only works on top speed due to resistor failure
- oil and filter change (check air filter)
- Spark plug change (its had recent new leads apparently - logically it would have had plugs, but better check)
- Interior needs a deep clean/hoover
- Not K-series smooth, that carb needs a look at I think
- Immobilser gubbins removal

Low

- Radio missing, but might have a solution for that (radio sent to me will be included)
- Interior 'dome light' not working
- OEM floor mats
- rear parcel shelf has only one strap/hook
- driver's seat belt clip is fairly worn

The known issues are as above. I've not touched it in a month. MOT until 13 October 2020. Due to water leak would not advise driving it any distance. Transporter would be most sensible. It could have HGF, it's a K series after all.

Contact free sale please bank transfer + V5 online

No roffles with this one due to lockdown. No delivery option.

Comes with parts as mentioned here on this thread.

Location Herne Bay, Kent. 

£150.

No messing about please.

31 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

I think in reality it would be a couple of months sadly. :(

Would you get it transported to you after that? I could hold for 2 months with a £50 deposit, I'll SORN it if so. It will just sit in the interim tho. BTW, I haven't checked for rust under the carpets like twin cam, just for full disclosure.

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Would you get it transported to you after that? I could hold for 2 months with a £50 deposit, I'll SORN it if so. It will just sit in the interim tho. BTW, I haven't checked for rust under the carpets like twin cam, just for full disclosure.

Yeah that would be the plan - I just need to free up a space for it! Sounds like we have a deal... :) 

@Kiltox

If you do end up with this - I thought I share this link  - this place has loads of NOS parts that could be useful...

http://www.inracing.co.uk/teesdale-classic-car-parts-centre/

Parts in stock and available now:
 Genuine Austin Morris, Triumph, Rover, MG, Wolseley, Sherpa, J4, JU250, Land-Rover, Ford

Unipart Parts for all makes and models
Extensive stock of gaskets and sets (Payen/FAI/Unipart) for all makes and models
Timing belts and kits for all makes and models
Comprehensive range of parts for all classic road cars (1950-2005) and historic racing cars
Genuine MG Rover parts for more recent models to 2005

The dream...

IMG_20200430_074102.thumb.jpg.c6492c56abe9b5a18e27f9490bb72055.jpg

Oh look, empty garage, drive the metro over, get it up on axle stands, strip it down and identify the water leak, maybe do the cambelt with some help....

The reality...

Drive the metro over, close garage door, forget about it, let MOT run out, scrap it.

I'm calling this one sold as @Kiltox has put down his beach towel early for it. I'll SORN it tonight so that's at least £14 back in the pot (whoo hoo).

I tried to give notice on the Council lock-up today so that I couldn't be tempted to keep it - of course - it means referring my request it to another team, and they'll email me back, possibly. Bloke had no idea how I'd return the keys. I'm happy to defend public services, I've worked in and around them for 20 years - but the fact this isn't at least partially automated in 2020 is a bit daft. 

But then the NHS was the largest purchaser of fax machines in the world until last year, ok, I digress.

SOLDES SUBGECT TO COLLECHTSUN.