Sainsbury's Archive

trigger

30 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

I've just caught up with this thread after a busy week.  Eight pages of absolutely fantastic pics (IMO).

This deserves a repost.

UVaLmad.jpg

Wow.  Pure joy.  I feel like I'm 5 years old.

Also shows how what is cosy and familiar can in not so many years be gone.  Morris, Austin, Triumph, Rover, Bedford, Commer and Woolworth all in history's dustbin. Not sure about Kiltie...probably too.

Out of the vehicles I can see only Jaguar, VW and Ford are still with us.

A fair number of these stores will be gone in due course as they are modernised or redeveloped due to changing company strategy and shopping habits.

It would be fascinating - well to me at least  - to go back to some of these locations. I will have a look what's near me in London.

The quality of the builds showed Sainsbury's invested a lot in their estate. Very unlike some current retail parks which are cheap sheds.

13 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

First Hove pic has a blue sign-written Trafic wheelchair adapted minibus being used. In second pic taken slightly earlier or later it is gone. Some of these images must have been taken with a cherrypicker in a world before drones.

I can post them all but they're very similar

32 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I can post them all but they're very similar

I expect some were safety shots in the days before digital - or maybe they were waiting for the sun or something like the right mix of cars and parking spaces. 

Fantastic pics btw. As Alan Bennett writes:

"...there is no period so remote as the recent past."