MoAr Shite For Me

Negative Creep

Well I sold my Almera this morning and the Datsun yesterday, I needed more shite to get me round. Having dropped that off I decided the thought of a journey home amongst the peasants on the Loser Cruiser wasn't that appealing. So long story short, I picked this up with tax and test for the grand total of £50!

Posted Image

Posted Image

You will notice the Autoshite special spec of:

- Missing wheeltrims

- Bottom of the range trim

- 5 doors

- Pikey scrapyard writing on the headlight

- Missing grille

- 4 speed box

Actually seems to run alright apart from a loose starter solenoid being a little loose. Will drop it in for an MOT and see if it's ok, that will decide its fate. Hopefully tidy it up then sell it on.

The Clio is too small for me and I don't think it will be reliable enough for deliveries. So a few hours later I bought this (too dark for photos)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3DWatching

Posted Image

A Citroen ZX 1.9D estate, which correct me if I'm wrong but puts me in the higher echelons of shite. First dug dug I've owned; performance is certainly "gentle" but hopefully I can get some good mpg and save some money in true miser style

£50!Imagine if it does get an MOT, pure budget motoring.So you got two cars for £450? Nice one.Ive always preferred the fist gen clio, its alot more 'classically' french than the ones that replaced it.Plus i just prefer forward hinged bonnets.

Good result on both counts! Clio looks like a bargain at the money and at £50 with t&t who could complain?ZX Estate is one of them cars I'd really like to own. I'm a bit tempted with one myself - chuck in the company 'vehicle', save company car tax and run something hyper cheap like that FTW!

You can't go wrong for £50! I would take the other wheel trims off and give the wheels a squirt with wheel silver. Why spend money on wheel trims?Can anybody give me the definitive answer on if you MOT an MOT'd car, does the new MOT cancel the last one? Pass or fail, I thought it did, but others say different. Specially if it fails, it then could mean you are driving about in an unroadworthy car.

Can anybody give me the definitive answer on if you MOT an MOT'd car, does the new MOT cancel the last one? Pass or fail, I thought it did, but others say different. Specially if it fails, it then could mean you are driving about in an unroadworthy car.

AFAIK then yes, now that MOTs are electronic, the 'system' knows the car has failed so that if you present a car for MOT that still has a valid MOT and it fails then the old MOT is invalidated.

You can't go wrong for £50! I would take the other wheel trims off and give the wheels a squirt with wheel silver. Why spend money on wheel trims?Can anybody give me the definitive answer on if you MOT an MOT'd car, does the new MOT cancel the last one? Pass or fail, I thought it did, but others say different. Specially if it fails, it then could mean you are driving about in an unroadworthy car.

I would have thought that it would be declared unroadworthy by the MOT test and should not be driven. But i am just thinking out loud and baseing this on common sense, which does not often work.

Bare steel wheels with a small centre cap, what ever happened to them? I think they look much better than full size hubcaps.Every new car seems to come fitted with enormous alloys and low profile tyres these days anyway, even boggo superminis.ZX looks good, they are a decent drive. The n/a diesel is pretty sweet, if you're doing deliveries it's a much better bet than the TD which is pretty hard work around town with its off/on power delivery.

I would have thought that it would be declared unroadworthy by the MOT test and should not be driven. But i am just thinking out loud and baseing this on common sense, which does not often work.
By unroadworthy I mean a test failure, even for something like a bulb out (couldn't see my test station failing for just that, but could happen).

Well I know you've been waiting for photos, so try to contain yourselves as here they are!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can't actually drive either at the moment though. The ZX is out of tax and there's nothing I can do until the insurance certificate arrives. However since Royal Mail are having their weekly strike over what bogpaper they use or something, it may take a few days. Insurers wouldn't add the Clio as a second car either and wanted £550 to insure it on another policy! I'll have to take out a quote and cancel it a few weeks later which is annoying.

No idea on the MOT thing, but won't be doing it until next week anyway. Hopefully it will only need a few minor things, then get a second hand stater, a clean up and hopefully actually make some money on a car!

Posted Image

I like these! We had one in the family for a while just like this except it was light metallic green and had (original) trimz with black painted wheels underneath. It had an appetite for alternator belts, the sunroof leaked and was taped up by the local Renault dealer :roll: , it needed a new radiator fan and a heater blower module, but apart from that and the fact it had a mixture of scary handling budget tyres on it, it was a decent motah with less than 70K on the clock. Sadly in my brother's ownership and after he'd got a new car it got neglected and stood for a while looking sorry for itself. Of course I went round Mum's every so often to spruce it up, charge the battery, free off the brakes, but the interior was starting to get moldy etc. So in the end the Renault garage agreed to take it away when my sister bought a brand new Clio. I already had 2 cars so I couldn't take it on :cry:

I'd assumed it was scrapped, but I'm glad to say, having finally remembered the reg no., it's still alive!

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for K204 PGN are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2009

Date of First Registration 12 01 1999

Year of Manufacture 1992

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1171CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour GREEN

Vehicle Type Approval null

The reason for the odd date of first registration is because it was originally from Guernsey.

Here, I've just found a pic of it taken when I was using it for a while in 2005 (in pre beardy days when I was still living at home).

Posted Image

I miss it!

I hope you enjoy tidying yours up and that it goes through an MOT ok.

Mark.

I owned a diesel one for a while, it had quite hilarious lift-off oversteer.I think it was adversely affected by having that boat anchor of an engine in the front and virtually no weight at the back.It had quite an impressive level of kit for a small early '90s diesel, with electric windows, (leaky) power steering, remote central locking, etc.

AFAIK then yes, now that MOTs are electronic, the 'system' knows the car has failed so that if you present a car for MOT that still has a valid MOT and it fails then the old MOT is invalidated.

The old MOT remains valid even if it fails a new one.The main thing to remember with the MOT is that it is only to certify that the car was roadworthy at the time of the test, so even if the tester knows something on your car won't last the full year, if it's OK on the day, they still have to pass it (hence advisories I suppose).You can have your MOT invalidated at any point by "the powers that be" though, I think VOSA checkpoints have the discretion to do so, though I've only really heard of modified/very unroadworthy cars being stripped of their test, rather than Meganes with a slight hole in the backbox or a Mondeo with a busted mirror.

Hey, those early Clio's are well crap, in a good, french way. My mate had one for years, totally peasant, yet he'd still beast it between Beds & St Andrews on a regular basis. As he has ascended the academic ladder he's got newer/swisher french grot, currently a C5 but clearly left it's mark. Another frind had a later clio from pretty much new, again a decent bus. However both these guys are of short stature, I tried one and found it impossibly cramped, even though I am not even that tall. total pisser as I would love a Clio Williams in the garage.

I'm 6'3/6'4 and I too found my old Williams relatively easy to fit into. It did seem a bit narrow for me though (great seats too), although not as bad as something like a 205. I am maybe a bit too young to remember what old hatches were like, not really experienced many other than Metros, which were of course cool as.

Update time! Took the Clio for an MOT to see if it was worth doing anything too or just weighing in. It failed on a total of 2 rear tyres (£30 a pair from a friend who runs a tyre place) and the main beam not coming on with dipped (need an indicator stalk.) MOT tester couldn't believe how clean and tidy it was underneath, not a spec of rust or welding. So all I need is that, another starter, a damn good clean and I can sell it on. Now I think that is what you classify as a win!I still don't fit properly though; no matter what I do my legs are rubbing on the wheel

• 3 weeks later...

To bring this back up, the Clio story does indeed have a happy ending as I sold it for over 100% profit! Went to a guy in work, although he did ring me today trying to get some money off as the alternator belt snapped soon after (answer = no). Feels quite nice to have saved some shite from the crusher and kept it on the road Stick that up your arse scrappage scheme!Oh and the ZX is still going strong and I must admit I rather like it. Pure shite, but unpretentious and utalitarian