Eyerseys Motoring Adventures.

Eyersey1234

On 6/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, Eyersey1234 said:

N/S headlight blown again, still not got to the bottom of why Henry seems to like eating them lol

do you have a picture of one of the failed bulbs?

perhaps I could look at it and tell you why its failed may give you some clues as to whats going on :) 

assuming its a halogen bulb, the 2 main things that would kill it are over voltage or dirt/oils etc getting onto the bulb somehow

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

do you have a picture of one of the failed bulbs?

perhaps I could look at it and tell you why its failed may give you some clues as to whats going on :) 

assuming its a halogen bulb, the 2 main things that would kill it are over voltage or dirt/oils etc getting onto the bulb somehow

Thanks LBF I'll get a picture when I change the bulb later on. 

11 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Are you still going for what I think you are going for ?, I didn't go down there in the end, today was a DFA day, did fk all. 

Might be down later today if you want me to see what you are going to win, let me know 

No it's not the Worthing car, I've been outbid on that one. 

Edited to add there's a couple of other cars I put cheeky bids on as well so will see what happens with them. 

4 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

@LightBulbFunhere's a picture of the failed bulb. 

IMG_20200614_100538.jpg

ah thank you :)

looks like the bulb is clean so thats good

the filament looks a little sad do you have a close up picture of that?

I would check what the running voltage is or as close as possible to the bulb terminals 

another cause for early failure is something might be vibrating the bulb excessively and fracturing the filament 

1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

This any better @LightBulbFun

IMG_20200614_145619.jpg

marginally, but ideally id need a good clear macro shot sadly

the filament looks a little dark, is it also all crystalline/sparkly? 

im going to go with over voltage or excessive vibrations or such (I would check the lamp housing etc is all secure etc and is not moving about slightly)

these filaments while much more robust than something like a normal mains voltage lightbulb, can still wobble about!

as nicely demonstrated here :)  (skip to 14:52)

or it could just be a poor quality bulb!

10 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Thanks @LightBulbFunthe housing seems to be secure, it's held in by one bolt on top of the unit plus a clip on the side. 

Np! 

one last thing on the eating bulbs things is have you tried different makes of bulbs etc?

if you have only tried say 1 brand/model of bulb then perhaps its just that they are of a poor quality

so your issues might be solved by switching to a higher quality bulb/brand/model etc :) 

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Np! 

one last thing on the eating bulbs things is have you tried different makes of bulbs etc?

if you have only tried say 1 brand/model of bulb then perhaps its just that they are of a poor quality

so your issues might be solved by switching to a higher quality bulb/brand/model etc :) 

Thanks LBF, a few other people have said something similar. Although someone on another forum used to have a Mk2 before he scrapped it and apparently that one used to eat headlight bulbs for breakfast. 

2 minutes ago, Dan302 said:

If I find one cheap enough in the right colour I may replace it although I worry about what I may find underneath the wing! The tape has lasted nearly a year an a half so far! 

I can understand that, I'm holding out for one in the right colour, saves faffing with painting it and being metallic I would have to paint a large area to get it to blend in 

3 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

My generous* offer was rejected, so decisions decisions do I say I'll pay him the £500 he was hoping for for it or wait to the end of the auction in 4 days time and risk losing it? Obviously I havent actually seen the car but looks OK from the photos and the MOT history is good. 

You don't need it, you have a perfectly good * Citroen to pick up ??