Ask a Shiter

warren t claim

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2021 at 09:25, BorniteIdentity said:

Somewhere on here there's a thread about footwear - and I was hoping to scratch the collective beard on a new pair of boots.  I've searched via THE GOOGLE but can't remember for the life of me what the thread was called.

Any help appreciated!

I find that proper equestrian yard boots are far superior to the high street jobs that simply look like yard boots.  They also aren't greatly expensive, either.  

10 minutes ago, Tickman said:

No 

@stereotypehas a 205 that I've taken to be tested that the window doesn't wind down.

Thanks @Tickman @Agila. That's one less thing to worry about before the MOT then. The cable let go yesterday whilst out in the car but luckily I managed to wind it closed again before it completely snapped!

• 2 months later...

So my 2001 SLK320 is back from its winter slumber and our for its first decent drive today.

At 70 on cruise on the M56 earlier and the what felt like the front left wheel braked hard (enough to bring about tyre squeal and pull us violently to the right) the SRS BAS light came on and I drove gingerly to our destination. Back in the car after a few hours, no ARS BAS light on, drove a few miles (not motorway) pulled briskly away from some lights and the same thing happened.

A bit of googling points to Yaw sensor, seems to be a common Merc problem, anyone else had similar experience?  Any information welcomed!

On 12/03/2022 at 23:09, Floatylight said:

So my 2001 SLK320 is back from its winter slumber and our for its first decent drive today.

At 70 on cruise on the M56 earlier and the what felt like the front left wheel braked hard (enough to bring about tyre squeal and pull us violently to the right) the SRS BAS light came on and I drove gingerly to our destination. Back in the car after a few hours, no ARS BAS light on, drove a few miles (not motorway) pulled briskly away from some lights and the same thing happened.

A bit of googling points to Yaw sensor, seems to be a common Merc problem, anyone else had similar experience?  Any information welcomed!

No advice, but that sounds fucking terrfying

Can anyone help with a problem with my 1999 Vauxhall Zafira A 1.6 16v petrol. I had driven about 20 miles with no problems and it was running perfectly when it suddenly lost power, as if I had taken my foot off the accelerator and the EML came on. It gradually slowed to about 10 mph then suddenly, as if I had thrown a switch, it returned to normal. It repeated this four times at about one mile intervals, then I was able to drive it the three miles or so home with no more problems. I connected my OP-COM OBD2 code reader to it and it showed a not now present fault code of P0170 - Lean exhaust. The car did not cough and splutter at all so I think the fuelling is OK, and looking online this seems to indicate a MAF or O2 sensor fault. I am assuming that since the fault is no longer present if I take it to a garage they will say that they cannot diagnose the fault any further and just replace the likely culprits at great expense with no guarantee that it is fixed. Does anyone have any advice to offer on this. TIA.

• 3 months later...

Are we still using this for questions that don't warrant their own thread? 

Anyway, has anyone seen this advert? 

Imp Jr shouted excitedly when it was on as he spotted an old van in it. 

20220621_184118.thumb.jpg.21a520a3c641c9a2e54d2837c75d8de3.jpg

However I'm not sure what it is? I guess the adverts South African or something, a lot of them are these days aren't they. 

My first guess was Renault Traffic but I don't think it is. With the windscreen I'm now leaning more towards something based on a Vanette or something else Jap? However I'm not sure. 

Or is it a proper foreign jobby? 

Any ideas? 

• 1 month later...

I’m now on my second headlamp restoration kit, for clouded, sun-damaged lamps on an XC90. 

First kit was alien magic - little to no impact.

Second kit today was the Sealey one everyone seems to recommend. After sanding the lamps look better. But when I wash the residue away they cloud over almost instantly. And after a couple of passes the whole unit looks much worse. Even after a couple of attempts polishing.

Anyone know what’s going on here? Could it be the heat?

On 6/27/2022 at 7:07 PM, HillmanImp said:

Are we still using this for questions that don't warrant their own thread? 

Anyway, has anyone seen this advert? 

Imp Jr shouted excitedly when it was on as he spotted an old van in it. 

20220621_184118.thumb.jpg.21a520a3c641c9a2e54d2837c75d8de3.jpg

However I'm not sure what it is? I guess the adverts South African or something, a lot of them are these days aren't they. 

My first guess was Renault Traffic but I don't think it is. With the windscreen I'm now leaning more towards something based on a Vanette or something else Jap? However I'm not sure. 

Or is it a proper foreign jobby? 

Any ideas? 

Nissan Ebro 

• 7 months later...

IMAG6749.thumb.jpg.6a94d4903cd5d653544e87c8f5ed6065.jpg

IMAG6748.thumb.jpg.5ed4c8b1f3aa0fd4878bc42d4f9ee66a.jpg

IMAG6747.thumb.jpg.641f6345b7c74d895ab3f3489ef2fb10.jpg

Anyone know what car this mirror is from originally?  There's no marks stamped on it anywhere, the mirror and the lense for the light are missing.  I'm sure I've seen this style of mirror on something before but I can't remember on what.  10mm socket for scale.

• 1 month later...

I need a complete manifold to tail pipe exhaust system (incl cat) for a Volvo 940 petrol. Generic suppliers abound but does anybody have a recommendation for a preferred supplier? (Supply only so ship out to the Welsh Boonies)?

Quick wrap up of this one - mild steel components are seemingly plentiful but mixing pipes from different manufacturers has been the cause of much pain in the past. Only 1 or 2 offering complete cat back systems circa £200. Stainless made by Jetex are available - found one online place at £370 delivered (vipmotorsport) but their online price is so cheap that I feel it may be an error - we'll see.
MIJ exhausts seem to get good reviews and will weld up a custom stainless job while you wait - handy if you are near them I guess.
Cat/forward is really only a company called BMCatalysts - they do sell direct but cats2u.co.uk  offer the same components + fitting kits at a more competitive price.
I'll add in any grief/positive results from the shipping if they are worth a note

• 2 months later...

Google "royal mail send a parcel", enter the weight and size of the parcel, and it will give you a price for various services. Single magazine will probably be large letter, about £1.50, stack of magazines will probably be small parcel, about £3 by cheapest second class. You don't have to complete the postage purchase but if you do it is quite straightforward and you can usually arrange a free collection. They will even bring a printed label for it.

3 hours ago, Tenmil Socket said:

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to post a magazine in the UK?

Ive got some old car mags to shift and want to offer postage to potential buyers so don’t want to be way off.

35 minutes ago, Slowsilver said:

Google "royal mail send a parcel", enter the weight and size of the parcel, and it will give you a price for various services. Single magazine will probably be large letter, about £1.50, stack of magazines will probably be small parcel, about £3 by cheapest second class. You don't have to complete the postage purchase but if you do it is quite straightforward and you can usually arrange a free collection. They will even bring a printed label for it.

Or click here

Royal Mail prices | Royal Mail

and download the price guides.