Sunburst yellow Mercedes SLK 230K

Jim Bell

You're giving in too easily, relish the challenge :) Found a diagram here, could the tube have been punctured by over-enthusiastic rodding?

I doubt it. I've only been using thin bendy welding wire and strimmer wire. It only started leaking the other day and I didn't poke at it until after it started leaking.

Looking at the parts diagram I'd be inclined to give the earlier suggestion of feeding another, small tube down the pipe and sealing it at the top with PU mastic a whirl. It won't take very long to give it a try. You might want to try to fashion some sort of little funnel thing at the top to keep things neat and tidy and working properly.

Looking at the parts diagram I'd be inclined to give the earlier suggestion of feeding another, small tube down the pipe and sealing it at the top with PU mastic a whirl. It won't take very long to give it a try. You might want to try to fashion some sort of little funnel thing at the top to keep things neat and tidy and working properly.

For which side? The one that's blocked or the one that flows free but isn't attached? I think that makes a lot of sense for the driver's side mind.

marm, on 19 Mar 2019 - 09:14 AM, said:

Have "fixed" numerous leaky vehicles this way!

By having them still leak on the high side?

I *sorted out a MkIII Cortina 'foot spa' by drilling a 1/8 hole under the acc pedal.

*technically a Swerve

I fixed the this common occurrence on my Wife's Crossfire a few years back - The Crossfire of course being a series 1 SLK in a different dress.

There are 3 drains under the scuttle, left, right and the largest one is in tyhe well under the wiper motor.

I dug out as much crap as I could with the centre of an old speedo cable, blew it out with an airline and then blasted with a jetwasher pressed against drain.

As far as I could tell, the drains don't enter the car, what happens is that the well under the wiper motor fills with water and sloshes into the heater air intake on the corners.

Below is a quote from the Crossfire forum that may help:

Another answer to a problem is some members have posted that they have had water come in their cars at the foot well on the passenger side.

After taking off the cowl you can see inside there are 4 drain compartments for water.

One in the middle which has a funnel shaped drain made of plastic, one on the drivers side which drains at the drivers side door, and two on the passenger side.

This is where the problem starts for water leaking inside the car.

There are two compartments side by side divided by a metal wall with a rubber flap so the first one can drain the water into the second one which drains at the passenger side door.

The problem is the outside one(second one) fills up with leaves, dirt and debris which in turn blocks the rubber flap not allowing the water to drain from the first one which starts to fill up water and ends up draining thru the the fan motor hole which is about 3 inches by 6 inches.

So even with a little back up of water just going around turns can make the water slosh around and spill into the opening.

I took a shop vac and cleaned mine out and though mine wasn't backed up it was on its way to backing up as there was about 1/2 inch of debris there.

Took the Yellow Menace out for a run round as we had a couple of hours sun this afternoon.

It's going to be moving on to another shitter at the end of the month but with my sensible head on, it's for the best. Might try my best to buy it back somewhere down the road though!

post-5435-0-87356000-1553093166_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-87572800-1553093184_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-29238600-1553093203_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-57803900-1553093220_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-77344600-1553093253_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-00827200-1553093277_thumb.jpg

Interior in the sun.

post-5435-0-11668300-1553093299_thumb.jpg

Roof in the boot.

post-5435-0-94591400-1553093321_thumb.jpg

Wings.

post-5435-0-10419100-1553093356_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-38688500-1553093375_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-26340200-1553093394_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-31167400-1553093413_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-98763200-1553093432_thumb.jpg

Buy a convertible at the start of winter. Run it over the winter. Sell it at the start of spring.

That's the Autoshite way.

Sad times. I genuinely thought, and hoped this gem was a keeper. You've obviously got your reasons though.

My head/heart decision strategy these days is to ask myself whether I'd be happy to see someone else drive off down the road in my car, and possibly never see it again. Based on this, I now tend to keep cars much longer than before, and feel all the better for it.

Having just bought a convertible of similar vintage and of premium nature, I can safely say that you're bloody stupid if you get rid of it right now. Especially over a few leaks.

It's now Spring, soon summer. Not only the best time to enjoy it, also less rain to cause the leak and if it does leak it'll dry out quickly too.

It's now Spring, soon summer. Not only the best time to enjoy it, also less rain to cause the leak and if it does leak it'll dry out quickly too.

What country do you live in to say it rains less in summer?!

Youre probably right though.  Thats not the only reason I'm selling it though.  Theres a few. Could do with the money, could do with better economy, council complaining about me parking on the paths, neighbours complaining about me parking outside their houses, could do with the space in a hatch/estate. 

None of those is a good enough reason to sell up on its own, but combine them all and its a good enough recipe for a fleet thinning and a convertible sale.

I picked Tickman up in it today and had a short blast through County Durham on a bit of kick down with the roof down.  Even at 7 degrees, it was great fun, and I think Tickman thought the same.

I might regret selling it but its for the best at the moment.

This thing is very nice and certainly can move.

Can't believe a virtual stranger picked me up from the station then out of town pulls over and I'm encouraged to give it a prod.

Whoever has bought it should really enjoy it but I fully agree with the reasons for sale.

Better to have loved and lost...