Jump to content
outlaw118

The grumpy thread

Recommended Posts

Went on the Greater Anglia website to do a Delay Repay claim for the train being cancelled on Saturday.  Turns out you have to upload a photo of your ticket.  Which is fine, except that my ticket was nommed by the barrier at Liverpool Street.  So no refund for me.  :(

Also the rear silencer on the 75 has fallen apart - the strap round the silencer has come adrift and has torn a hole in the silencer as it did so, so the car now sounds chavvy and the exhaust is hanging down.  I could probably bodge it with a bandage and a couple of CV boot clips, but I doubt it'd last very long, so I'm going to have to fork out for a new rear section and then spend a happy* few hours scrabbling around underneath the car trying to fit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

PA :D 

He was a project manager from a third rate consultancy at a second rate “bank” - he was his own PA. 

Fair enough, you have to be a jack of all trades in those circumstances and obviously know Office and presumably something like PMW, if that's still used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, brownnova said:

My grump... mice... the little fuckers.

 We started getting mice in the front room. It’s not a massive surprise, we’re in the countryside. So I sealed up the hole that I found and left it at that. Except one little bugger got trapped in the room. Mrs_b wants us to use humane traps. Ok, first (very cheapo) humane trap fails.

So I resort to a home built bucket trap. Very AS constructed from cardboard and gaffer tape. Works a treat!

3CD4ABD0-1833-4C96-A7A2-B08F8BC943E9.jpeg
 

Catches the mouse... but... Harry Houdini’s mouse reincarnation escapes!

 On to better quality humane traps. Hurrah we’ve got it!

” What’s that scuffling sound?”

 Little bastards have made a new entrance. So I block that up good and proper. Wood, screws, the lot!

 Lay out the traps and... catch one! And another... and another...

F3A71B31-C190-4D6D-BD8A-5AD73D1C34E2.jpeg

 We’re up to 11 mice so far. So I’m guessing they’ve got another entrance then... 🤬🤬

Dread to think what state the sofa is in underneath now... 

Best give me the mx5 before they eat it😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, brownnova said:

We’re up to 11 mice so far. So I’m guessing they’ve got another entrance then... 🤬🤬

It's not the same mouse is it?  Where are you releasing them?  Perhaps identify the next one with some nail varnish (Other Greenpeace friendly ideas are available).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Went on the Greater Anglia website to do a Delay Repay claim for the train being cancelled on Saturday.  Turns out you have to upload a photo of your ticket.  Which is fine, except that my ticket was nommed by the barrier at Liverpool Street.  So no refund for me. 


Total pain in the arse, I've been caught out like that. I always request a receipt now, I'm pretty sure they'll accept that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

Total pain in the arse, I've been caught out like that. I always request a receipt now, I'm pretty sure they'll accept that.

 

I do have a collection receipt - might be worth trying with that.  I'll give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brownnova said:

My grump... mice... the little fuckers.

 We started getting mice in the front room. It’s not a massive surprise, we’re in the countryside. So I sealed up the hole that I found and left it at that. Except one little bugger got trapped in the room. Mrs_b wants us to use humane traps. Ok, first (very cheapo) humane trap fails.

So I resort to a home built bucket trap. Very AS constructed from cardboard and gaffer tape. Works a treat!

3CD4ABD0-1833-4C96-A7A2-B08F8BC943E9.jpeg
 

Catches the mouse... but... Harry Houdini’s mouse reincarnation escapes!

 On to better quality humane traps. Hurrah we’ve got it!

” What’s that scuffling sound?”

 Little bastards have made a new entrance. So I block that up good and proper. Wood, screws, the lot!

 Lay out the traps and... catch one! And another... and another...

F3A71B31-C190-4D6D-BD8A-5AD73D1C34E2.jpeg

 We’re up to 11 mice so far. So I’m guessing they’ve got another entrance then... 🤬🤬

Dread to think what state the sofa is in underneath now... 

If you have a compost bin near the house it might be worth moving it. That's where I think some of ours came from, although there is a small copse in the garden. We've also moved one of the woodpiles as far away from the house as we can. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it feels like the the clutch fork is bursting through its pivot on the Discovery. It had a clutch fitted before I bought it three years ago. Probably fitted a Britpart clutch. Oh well.

Sold the Mercedes coupe in November so I'm using the 206cc until I get time to do the clutch. Today my glamorous assistant asked me to look at her car as it's making a funny noise. the clutch release bearing is making the pedal judder. Great.....that's one tiny working car between the two of us and two cars with knackered clutches.How long has your car been like that ? "started at christmas". I had a few days off between christmas and new year could have done her clutch then if she had mentioned it...........Brilliant .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Why do Scottish and Welsh get free prescriptions 🤔? Answer because the English fucking subsidise them.

I have answered the question, roll on Scotish and Welsh Independence. 

Note that my daughter went to a Welsh University and will be paying back the best part of £40k plus interest over the next 25 years whilst Welsh Pharmacy students got it for free.

ANYWAY. Mike is in Miseryside. 🤫

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovely little things, field mice. Even the ones that tried to eat the wiring on my BX, or the ones a few years ago in my garage for months who tried to eat a cardboard box and a plastic motorbike cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapping the Saab 9-3 TID for something similar at the weekend, just checked out insurance - an extra £20pm, robbing twats!! I'll be making a call but if not the same as what I'm currently paying I'll be taking my business elsewhere!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I do have a collection receipt - might be worth trying with that.  I'll give it a go.

Its an automated system and will be rejected initially, but then email Scotrail (yes I'm not going nuts, Scotrail handle GA customer relations/Delay Repay) [email protected] to get a human to look into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody fuming with our nearest hand car wash.

I usually use one on the other side of town but just discovered that they're closed Tuesdays.  So to the one virtually next door we go.

Now I made absolutely clear, in words of one syllable to them before going in DO NOT USE SODDING TFR/CHEMICAL SPRAYS ETC!  Reason being that it's so aggressive that it just strips all the life out of the paint on any car without clear coat, leaving it totally matt and looking like it has been left sitting in a field for about five years.  They've done this twice before, and last time it took me a full day's work to rectify.

They only went and totally bloody ignored me.

Cue frantic hand polishing by their entire team (who thanks to this had now totally backed themselves up at the busiest time of their day and had irate taxi drivers getting tired of waiting) to try to restore some vague semblance of shine to my car.

Despite spending more than half an hour on it, they weren't really very successful.

IMG_20200107_162900.thumb.jpg.286fc04a6c420dee19ba606d1f902a3d.jpg

Not much you can do without at least lightly cutting it back...took me a full day to sort it last time.

Sodding embarrassing as I'm handing the car over to a new owner tomorrow so just wanted to get it given a quick wash outside and a Hoover etc inside.  I spent a couple of afternoons polishing and waxing it to within an inch of its life a few weeks ago so it was bloody gleaming before this...yet I've now got to hand it over looking like absolute crap.  Annoyed.

Will not be using them again, ever, and will be leaving an appropriate review on Google I think.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got in my temporary car while the Bastard Focus is fixed. Plugged my phone charger into the ciggy lighter. Oh, that doesn't work. 

I'll forgive it, it's a bit of a knackered old beast. 

Then I looked in the lighter socket and it's full of mud, no wonder the bloody thing wouldn't work 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timolloyd said:

Feel your pain. Generally I think those places are too aggressive for anything but the most sturdy of new-ish cars and paint.

The one I normally (and by normally I mean "when needs must and I've no option to do it myself") use is really good about making allowances for older cars and following any instructions.

Just feel really bad.  Car has been in daily use for the last couple of weeks so was just a bit grubby and I just wanted it to be at its best when handed over...now it looks far worse than if I'd just left it be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody fuming with our nearest hand car wash.

Now I made absolutely clear, in words of one syllable to them before going in DO NOT USE SODDING TFR/CHEMICAL SPRAYS ETC!  Reason being that it's so aggressive that it just strips all the life out of the paint on any car without clear coat, leaving it totally matt and looking like it has been left sitting in a field for about five years.

IMG_20200107_162900.thumb.jpg.286fc04a6c420dee19ba606d1f902a3d.jpg

Not much you can do without at least lightly cutting it back...took me a full day to sort it last time. 

Same happened to me on my White 825 Sterling:

IMG-20180414-WA0031.thumb.jpg.7f644d6b758c7fcf5c20ec3905644d15.jpg

I took it to a car wash where they used TFR and you could see the blobs of bleached out paint where they sprayed it. I ended up T-cutting the car and it got it off leaving the car better than before. I was careful from then on where I took my car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where my mam and dad live there has been a new housing estate built on what were open fields.

over the last few weeks their cat Harley has caught and killed 8 or 9 mice that have been displaced by the new, shitty little boxes houses. and brought them back home, cos, well he's good like that......

and we still have that fucking dirty rat under our shed.

it seems that the cheesy cracker thing we have been baiting the trap with is not to a dirty rats liking, so now we are going to try chocolate instead.

we would try peanut butter, but we don't have any at the moment. :-(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody fuming with our nearest hand car wash.

I usually use one on the other side of town but just discovered that they're closed Tuesdays.  So to the one virtually next door we go.

Now I made absolutely clear, in words of one syllable to them before going in DO NOT USE SODDING TFR/CHEMICAL SPRAYS ETC!  Reason being that it's so aggressive that it just strips all the life out of the paint on any car without clear coat, leaving it totally matt and looking like it has been left sitting in a field for about five years.  They've done this twice before, and last time it took me a full day's work to rectify.

They only went and totally bloody ignored me.

Cue frantic hand polishing by their entire team (who thanks to this had now totally backed themselves up at the busiest time of their day and had irate taxi drivers getting tired of waiting) to try to restore some vague semblance of shine to my car.

Despite spending more than half an hour on it, they weren't really very successful.

IMG_20200107_162900.thumb.jpg.286fc04a6c420dee19ba606d1f902a3d.jpg

Not much you can do without at least lightly cutting it back...took me a full day to sort it last time.

Sodding embarrassing as I'm handing the car over to a new owner tomorrow so just wanted to get it given a quick wash outside and a Hoover etc inside.  I spent a couple of afternoons polishing and waxing it to within an inch of its life a few weeks ago so it was bloody gleaming before this...yet I've now got to hand it over looking like absolute crap.  Annoyed.

Will not be using them again, ever, and will be leaving an appropriate review on Google I think.

 

 

Is that the pre-wash stuff they lob on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of these places, and a slightly different grump, but shouldn’t ‘hand car wash’ mean exactly that and not ‘someone with a jet washer’ let alone ‘someone with a jet washer 1.5 inches from your paintwork’?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focus update: It's a bit fixed. Drove it home from the garage.

Having had a few days off from driving it, I can confirm I still absolutely hate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, face said:

Is that the pre-wash stuff they lob on?

Yep.

It's fine enough on modern paints so long as it's shifted *immediately* but on old school paintwork without clear coat it makes a godawful mess that you have to cut back to sort it out.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if I hadn't spent so much time polishing and waxing it a couple of weeks ago...oh, and if I wasn't handing the keys over to a new owner tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Focus update: It's a bit fixed. Drove it home from the garage.

Having had a few days off from driving it, I can confirm I still absolutely hate it.

What do you plan to change it for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrbenn said:

What do you plan to change it for?

Christ alone knows.

I have a few things I'd like, nothing really that extraordinary, but due to my age, any insurance company just laughs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...