The Austin 2dr 1100 story - Part IV - Now in sharleys hands

SiC

Probably mostly describes what to do on Blackpool seafront, while the fresh, salty sea air works lightening the body.

There is a performance camshaft that apparently works a fair bit of magic (Swifttune SW5) and twin carbs. However I'm a bit loathed to do too much to it, as it runs so sweetly. Plus, even after tuning, it'll still be a very slow car by modern standards. Tuning it will bring it up to similar performance levels as a Ka 1.3. Which aren't exactly known for their blistering performance.

Guest Hooli

Oddly enough a lot of engines this sort of age with twin SU carbs have them replaced by one big carb when tuned....

The twin carbs on my MGB are a right faff to tune. I'm looking forward to only having one to deal with on this. The HS2 on it looks so diddy and cute in comparative to the two HS4 on the MGB!

I actually have a spare HS4 carb I bought to pull apart and play around with. Maybe I should rebuild that, get an appropriate needle (I have no idea which though) and fit that on with a new cam. Someday...

Guest Hooli

Needle & jet I think need to be picked as pairs. I'm not sure on that though, my understanding of it is the needle controls part throttle & the jet size takes over above about 3/4 throttle.

I heard something somewhere a long time ago that the 1098 head on a 1275 block with a different cam improves performance, due to the flow characteristics of the 1098 ports.

Strange, as I heard the head design of the A series to have "all the free breathing characteristics of a terminal asthmatic".

I say run it as built and enjoy.

Phil

Guest Hooli

Small car mag did an article on tuning one of these (was a 1275 I think) for high torque back in the 60s/70s.

You could get a 2 door super-deluxe, but only with the 1275 engine.  Or you could get an 1100 4 door super-deluxe.  Just not an 1100 2 door super-deluxe.

Those lifting brackets are designed for the rocker cover bolts, although no reason not to use them on the head bolts.  I've used them to lift countless ado16 and allegro engines and never bent a rocker shaft or bolt; I do use them 180deg rotated from how you've installed them though; with the lifting bits to the inside of the rocker bolts

Are you going for the SGS crane? Did me proud and I sold it to a shiter for not much less than I paid

Aye, and I still have it, doing me proud with VW engines. The old Scirocco lump is currently dumping oil around it's ample hips.

SIC, I'm a bit late to the party with this, but where are you?

[Edit] Just seen you've alreadybpicked up an engine crane and stand.

All being well, I intend to remove the engine out tomorrow. Any suggestions on how or where to mount the engine to a stand?

There is this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283018205049

But it's a bit pricey for my liking.

I've also seen people mount it to the stand using the oil filter and/or alternator bracket points. There is some mention that those points aren't the strongest to mount to.

Like this:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/file.php?3,file=217692,filename=20131102_155401.jpg

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/file.php?3,file=217690,filename=20131102_155253.jpg

Or this:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/file.php?3,file=217313,filename=Addison-20131029-00142.jpg

Or:

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/file.php?3,file=217281,filename=enginebefore.jpg

Any suggestions? I don't want to mount it on the flywheel end, as that's where I'll be doing most of my work on it. Would like to get it on the stand asap after removing it, as it allows me to move it around much easier and safer.

I'll probably make my own loom to be honest. I tend to get enjoyment out of such things! It also allows me to put a few more fuses in the circuit too. 

Please feel free to pop over and change the woefully minimal  fuse box on the Toledo for something modern with blade fuses

Not many pictures today as I had mates around to help me pull the engine.

We made a couple of mistakes that made our life harder.

First attempt was using the leveler. Note the safety footwear in operation.

31f80d6c6bfc8d64ba5ba1023c86b6e2.jpg

Be careful. Relying on just the engine hooks WILL bend the rocker cover bolts - this method was a carry-over from the Minor and A30 but the added weight of the gearbox &c is too much for the little bolts to bear. You are better off wrapping a lot of rope around and underneath the whole unit.

You were 100% correct. They started to bend as we lifted it. Luckily we noticed before they bent over too much. With the rocker cover on, it's not too noticeable. I'm still annoyed that we managed to do it. I suspect the lifting setup was simply putting too much side load on them.

Attempt two was a bit more successful. Leo (guy in yellow top) had the great idea of using the pegs from the leveler and the chains to do this. I moved the lifting hooks to the cylinder head bolts and removed the splash panel bracket. Ensuring I re-torqued them to 40 lb-ft after.

8d1bc83166f3e789ebabb5059f3dec68.jpg

What that picture doesn't show is the right fight to get it to this stage. Second mistake was that I jacked the car up. This made it really hard to tilt the engine enough to clear the back of the remote gear change selector.

Third mistake was that I wish I removed everything off the front of the engine. The distributor was perilously close to getting bashed on the front. Also the alternator and starter motor kept catching on the slam panel.

Anyway after a lot of jiggery, pokery with the jack, manual labour and unscrewing bits of engine, we managed to free it. Had to unbolt the front mount completely and the rubber washer for the remote gear change.

b888a1045913be7408e7a89ed05230c7.jpg

ea165c434585cb1a8c2aec1e23ace53a.jpg

49e9c1f4e4658a0fe8eb7ffb1e61989f.jpg

Engine is now on my garage floor - again a massive pain in the arse to get it up over the ridge there. Currently having its oiled drained out.

1dbbf9d88488d0a5f0e2a4edeb791bdf.jpg

I wanted to mount it to the engine stand, but this looked like it'll need a bit of though and maybe some long bolts. Still not figured how to mount it to it though. Not 100% happy having it hanging off the side mounts like some of those pictures above. Especially in the wake of bending the rocker cover bolts.

I was very concerned about them running over their feet with the crane! I actually bought safety boots from Lidl today, but still was wearing my knackered old shoes (that Mrs SiC would love to throw away). Faithful old friend these shoes.

d09f7373af6d1e4316cacb03e137d1dc.jpg

Took off the clutch cover. Not sure really what I'm looking at really and need to do next. Well I know it's a clutch, flywheel and some bolts. Going by the service manual, it looks like I'll need to buy some more tools to pull it off. This is with the centre spring clip removed and looking at it.

d832f858e4d5d971d8370c6be2272ee8.jpg

I guess this bolt is going to need to come out as a next step?

It's missing 2 bolts from the clutch cover. Those holes don't tighten up either, so I guess the threads knackered. Going by that and the white line painted on the flywheel, I assume someone has been in here before.

I need to watch a few Mini clutch removal videos now. Then do some more staring at the flywheel.

Completely knackered right now. Hot, hot day and very tiring trying to man handle this lump out - even with assistance. I'm very glad I had helpers for this job.