Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

I expect the steering on that MAN will be about twenty turns lock to lock to compensate for the lack of assistance.  It's fine once you get used to it.  When I went for my first hgv job I was taken out in an old Iveco for an assessment; I nearly went straight across the first roundabout because I'd no idea the steering would be so low-geared.  

I do like these Dodge 50's, and the idea of having a Perkins engine is very appealing but I reckon they have all got rotten cabs as well as the old 'zero service parts availability' issue!!! I kind of want to build a house in it not piss about doing a 6-month weldfest so this is probably a bad choice.

Anyone else having trouble viewing completed eBay listings lately? It seems about 90% of the time I click a completed link, it sends you to a completely different, current listing, and says: 'The listing you are looking for it no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you'. Got that with this one. Is there a way around it or is this another sodding eBay 'improvement'?

Well i didnt bid on that Dodge 50 in the end, it went for £710, so I bet would have been getting on for £1100 landed at my unit. Even at that price I'm sort of regretting it admittedly, but I guess I'm in no hurry eh. The business with my wage 'overpayment' has made me feel a bit less rich than I did a week ago!! I think thats what put me off.

I did some googling today and convinced myself that I could persuade some brake shoes from a Dodge RAM pick up to fit with a little modification (right diameter, 0.5" too narrow). Still thats an experiment for another day.

While I'm on a horsebox tip check this out!!!

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Man-VW-8-136-Lorry-Horsebox-7-5-t/263731864305

I love these old MAN trucks with the 'fat LT' cab. On an X-reg this is a pretty early one I think. Check out the austere 1970's VW interior!!!! The box looks nicely made as well. I emailed the seller and he reckons its a 5.8 non-turbo diesel with no power steering. Hardcore!!!!

Totally lush vehicles.

I used to drive a 7.5ton MAN 8.150 up in Leeds years ago.  Was a hightop monster, but even with a full day's collection of recycling in it, it FLEW.  Would love one for personal fun use, but getting very rare now.

Also love Dodge 50s.  Had a long term lend of one in Haworth years ago.  Again, loved it.  If you get it, there's a very nice man called Greg that you'll need to be in touch with.  He knows them inside out and also knows where to get all parts etc.

This is his site:

http://www.dodge50.co.uk/

Enjoy.

Same here and it's really annoying, even seems to do it when you're searching just completed listings - if I'm searching completed listings that's what I want to view, but eBay still 'helpfully' diverts to some random current listing.

Anyone else having trouble viewing completed eBay listings lately? It seems about 90% of the time I click a completed link, it sends you to a completely different, current listing, and says: 'The listing you are looking for it no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you'. Got that with this one. Is there a way around it or is this another sodding eBay 'improvement'?

Yep, but if you look carefully the word "listing" is a hyperlink which takes you back to the listing you were trying to look at.

Bo11ox, if you do manage to complete the deal that is a bloody bargain for what it is.  I love the way 50s drive - slow and rather crude (although that one should at least have PAS) but feel completely unstoppable and will do 30mpg on a run.

Interesting* fact: the turbo versions are actually slower than the NA, despite having 20bhp extra, because they are governed to 2,600rpm and the NA can rev to 2,800.

I expect the steering on that MAN will be about twenty turns lock to lock to compensate for the lack of assistance.  It's fine once you get used to it.  When I went for my first hgv job I was taken out in an old Iveco for an assessment; I nearly went straight across the first roundabout because I'd no idea the steering would be so low-geared.  

My D-series was only about 6 turns lock to lock.  It was just f***ing heavy at low speed.  Big wheel did help though.  A bit.

Don't know if there is a way round, but if you click the magic word "listing" it'll link through to the finished listing page if that helps.

Oh, no.

Seller has zero feedback so perhaps they will vanish into thin air or give me the old 'I forgot to put a reserve on' BS, I wont complain if they do

As they were seeking "sensible offers" I reckon this'll be some airhead bint who doesn't understand how online auction websites work and was thinking of five times the actual winning bid price. You may yet DODGE a bullet. Sorry.

We rebuild LOADS of brake and clutch cylinders for these at work and yes, all components are made of purest unobtanium.

The old shoes will need to be relined too. Whatever you do, don't throw away old components as they can't be replaced! I had some poor woman desperate for a trackrod end for hers the other day, they are also exceptionally rare and I felt sorry for her but what can you do if there's no spares available?

Do you tell them to try Karrier (I think) who runs/ ran Circus Box and the old Dodge50 forum? He had spares and seemed to be sourcing things still.

Bollox is it the 6247 Perkins? They're lovely but the pumps are made of unobtainium, I have a couple of broken ones if you get desperate - do not under any circumstances attempt to run unheated veg oil it WILL kill the pump in a couple of 1000 miles.

Pumps can be tweaked for more performance, I have an engine manual I can copy for the 6247.

That’s just awesome.

I love Dodge 50’s. We had an A reg panel van version at work until a few years ago. It was still in original Southern Electricity green livery and was kitted out as a mobile pressure test vehicle, which made it expensive to replace - hence it’s very long service life! It was an absolute beast to drive, in a really really good way! I loved it.

We had another one too, but that was a silver J reg Renault version. This one was immaculate and drove like a new one still.

Ones on my bucket list!