A Minor Adventure continues...

17-Coffees

No it's true.  Everyone knows green, different, green, other green, blue, dark blue, other dark blue, brown, browner, brownest, almost white, sort of yellow, morning grey, evening grey, very yellow, nearly a colour, and black mixed together make lilac.

That Minor Zillions is one of the earliest still around, I think, something like chassis no.13 which should not be taken to mean much as I think they were pretty randomly numbered and don't necessarily represent the Million and Thirteenth Ever Minor or whatever.   In fact, I think some where 948s and some 1098s where the change-over happened during Million production run.

The colour was picked as something "special" and many dealerships (who were I think only allocated one car) didn't realise or weren't told about the paint - or the ivory interior.   The one at the show in this thread is, I believe, the car that went to Westover Motors in Bournemouth - where my own Minor originally was supplied from.

It’s no lie, I’ve been going to the local shows to get ideas for mine! :D

Latest update...

I’d been having a slight issue where the car would die when idle. I put it down to heat soak, as it was happening after a run, and then letting it sit, and it’s been silly warm here of late.

The other day I brought the issue up with my dad and he wanted to have a little look. Just as well we did as it appears there is actually a leak coming from the Carb!

post-19988-0-06488800-1528322069_thumb.jpeg

Ive no idea with Carbs, so answers on a postcard please!

The big bit of news is, that if the weather for ShiteFest is good I’ll be taking the old girl down! And even better, I plan on allowing you guys to have some fun tinkering with it! :D

And if allowed, even doing a service on it!

Why am I so kind? Because I just so happen to be lazy as well... :P

Leaks on these SUs are usually either the float chamber over-filling due to a punctured or faulty plastic float, or simply fuel getting past a union connection.   Check the float itself to see if there is fuel swilling about in it and check the clearance under the lid of the bowl.   

https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=734 

Fuel vapourisation is common on these as you probably know.  I cured mine by routing fuel supply as far as possible away from the manifold and exhaust.   An upgrade to SU electronic fuel pump is well worthwhile in due course, too.

Guest Hooli

Turned around so it makes sense...

post-20217-0-01382900-1528356401_thumb.jpeg

As Mercrocker says, there isn't much to SUs. I'm not sure I can even make out where the leak is in that pic.

That's the shit earlier carburettor with cork glands. There are 3 of them, 2 small ones for the jet and a large one which sits in a cup where the jet assembly screws in. You can get them from the suppliers but they need soaking in clean oil for 24 hours prior to fitting.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update...

After much thought, I’ve decided it’s getting painted all one colour. Primer grey.

As much as I liked the two tone shabbyness of it, I think it’ll look much neater all one colour. And it also covers up all the writing that got added to the wings at shitefest...

post-19988-0-24847700-1529778359_thumb.jpeg

Not a full half arsed job, prepping it and such first before useing the rattle can.

On top of this, I’ll be ordering some new LED bulbs for the sidelights and indicators.

• 1 month later...

Not posted for while, so a few updates...

First up...

post-19988-0-20433400-1533507642_thumb.jpeg

post-19988-0-11646000-1533507679_thumb.jpeg

Got the wings all painted, as well as the sides all in primer grey. Personally think it looks a much better now. :)

The other thing is...

post-19988-0-69647500-1533507847_thumb.jpeg

The speedo finally gave up the ghost fully in spectacular fashion....

It started at the tail end of a high speed run on the newly opened section of the Aberdeen Bypass, where I hit a groundbreaking speed of 60! Then the speedo went mad making all sorts of noises and spinning around. Then about 5 minuets later the needle dropped...

At least it stopped making a noise...

I think I’ve said before how the speedo was wonky before, and have I’ve been useing a GPS tracker instead. So it’s no loss to me. But I will see a getting it fixed or a replacement.

Other than that, it’s been business as normal for the ol girl. Drives in the weekend, smiles and waves from randoms on the road and just good fun.

Ditto on the wings :)

I love the look of the car, as in it looks like its been someones daily driver for the past 60 years  :mrgreen: it really defines what the Morris Minor is "about" :)

(thats not to say I dont appreciate a nice example, but I also really like the daily driver look of this moggie :) )

I wonder what's jammed/broken inside your speedo to make it throw off the needle in a comedy fashion?

The speedometer cable sometimes didn't fully connect with the speedo head despite being fully tight both ends, and would make the needle jump from 30 to 70 and bounce around. The faster you went the further it would jump and going all the way round sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...

After a good few months, I’ve decided to put her away for the year into the comfort of the garage (Kicking out the 316).

post-19988-0-52394600-1535211642_thumb.jpeg

So over the next few months I’ll get about to tinkering with it. And maybe even fully paint it. Finally got my checklist written out so fingers crossed I get most of it done before the start the show season next year! :)

Talking of paint, I’ll be searching bout for ‘greys’ and taking creative liberty’s in what manufactures as that. Think how Fords ‘oyster silver’ is really metallic beige...

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

soo how's this one going? :)

has it been painted 2 tone Champagne Beige  and Rover Maple yet? :mrgreen:

As much as I want to say it’s came on leaps and bounds, sadly the reason it’s been all quiet here is because I’ve not done anything really...

Its been in my garage since September, getting started up and moved in the drive every so often. On the paint side of things I’ve got one side in primer and tested with a few shades of paint. And that’s it. Ive sadly not had it on the road this year. Priority has been given to other cars, and on top of that the house gets top priority. ?

I always did plan this as a long term thing though, and once the fleets thinned down a bit it’ll be back to work on it. 

• 1 year later...

Long time buuuuuuuump. Since last time I posted not much has happened. I started it up and did quick look arounds every so often and that's about it. And over the last year I've just been feeling shit and not in the right mind set for much, so good to be back to tinkering again. Anyway...

As stated in News24 the other day, work has started on the Minor again! Yay! Having done a service last week I got hold of a new battery (Stole the new one for my golf) and managed to get it fired up. That's the good news! The bad news is that I was an idiot and acted against my better judgment! You see, the oil filter wasn't 100% the same, but I though "Looks close enough" and loped it in...As soon as it fired up it started pissing oil from the filter. Oh cock. So looking for a filter that looks correct, I saw conversion kits for a spin on filter so decided that for £30 it was a now brainer! I'll also need to get some new oil as although have some oil left from the service and it never pissed much out, I've no idea how much it'll leak when doing the conversion! So anyone have recommendations for oil as Halfords don't list there own brand stuff any more (I get mad discount on own brand stuff). 

Also with the battery fitted tested the lights, and now 90% sure it's the relay for the indicators, so ordered that as well.   

So fingers crossed it all arrives quickly, so I can then move onto other stuff such as greasing all the geese nipples and checking the underside fully again! 😀