Mk1 Focus 1.6. *Roffle* WEDS DRAW

Jim Bell

The missus requested a smaller and more economical daily after a couple of weeks rocking the W202.

A friend of the family mentioned that she had a Mk1 Focus for sells.

It looked canny in the pics she sent on.

post-5435-0-91753000-1522686816_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-95987700-1522686847_thumb.jpeg

post-5435-0-27705100-1522686882_thumb.jpeg

Thatll do.

And so, we toddled off back up into Northumberland.

Its a 1.6 Zeeeetec. 130k.

We had a fine spread of weather on the way up.

Wind, rain, hail, sleet, snow and finally all of those things at the same time.

We made it fine.

post-5435-0-91228000-1522687046_thumb.jpg

Pathetic snow.

post-5435-0-17252300-1522687078_thumb.jpg

Had a quick look round it. Exhaust is blowing at the front, other than that and conspicuous amounts of DNA on the steering wheel, it seems grand.

After that, hit another local shop then headed off down the hill.

post-5435-0-45911100-1522687783_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-34712500-1522687851_thumb.jpg

Home Jeeves!

After about 20 mins, a beeping started from the clock/glove box area. Louder with the glove box open so sounder must be in there. It literally sounded like a digital clock alarm but the Focus doesnt seem to have an alarm of this kind on the clock. No lights on the dash, noise wouldnt stop so we pressed on.

The beeping beeped all the way home. The missus needed a piddle so we just plunged on through and tried to not go insane.

Got home and the beeps went off with ignition and didnt return when restarted. FOCUS if we have any idea what was going on there. Google seems to chronicle lots of instances of similar things happening, but with no identified cause.

Fleet home.

post-5435-0-65163400-1522688158_thumb.jpg

Needs a good clean.

post-5435-0-28955200-1522688193_thumb.jpg

Beeping seems to come from right behind the clock.

All in all, a canny buy for the money, but its no ST. Now I want an ST.

Reckon on swapping it every 18 mths to 2 years though. You can buy a repair section for £30 but quite frankly its not worth the bother as frequently the welds fail between the branches.

Parts for these are seriously cheap, I just paid £15 delivered for a new header tank after the old one split. Same for brakes, £37 for Mintex pads and discs.

I like that a lot. Looks like the late Edge model with fancy wheels and a bit of a spoiler. That’s a rare one as most didn’t have electric mirrors or the heated front windscreen.

Re the beeping, it looks like it might have some sort of parking sensors in the front bumper. Perhaps they were picking up snow or sommat? Might be worth a look.

The exhaust went on mine at the front. Sorted about 4 years ago and it’s still fine, though it doesn’t get many short trips so the exhaust stays dry.

I’ve had mine getting on for 6 years and, without wishing to be crass, it’s cost me absolutely fuck all to run. It’s pretty economical, parts are dirt cheap and I love it.

And yes, I want an ST, too. Only problem being that I won’t part with the one I have.

5 randoms please.

The alarm noiseis the 'fuck me, the steering wheel is a biohazard' alarm. The steering wheel is refreshingly fucking vile. 

Apart from that and the somewhat feeble snow, it looks bloody great.

The shopping nutrition looked reasonable too. 

Ooooph, good use of a wet Bank Holiday Monday.

That steering wheel is defo full fat, I don't even have full fat I'n my tea, semi skimmed will do. But for my steering wheels I go for fully skimmed.

I'd start off with some Meths on that working up through brake cleaner and other. Then finish off with some boot polish

I like that a lot. Looks like the late Edge model with fancy wheels and a bit of a spoiler. That’s a rare one as most didn’t have electric mirrors or the heated front windscreen.

Re the beeping, it looks like it might have some sort of parking sensors in the front bumper. Perhaps they were picking up snow or sommat? Might be worth a look.

The exhaust went on mine at the front. Sorted about 4 years ago and it’s still fine, though it doesn’t get many short trips so the exhaust stays dry.

I’ve had mine getting on for 6 years and, without wishing to be crass, it’s cost me absolutely fuck all to run. It’s pretty economical, parts are dirt cheap and I love it.

And yes, I want an ST, too. Only problem being that I won’t part with the one I have.

Yeah man, it does have aftermarket parking doofers. The reversy ones work, but the front ones seem not to. So you could be on to something there. Loads of puddles and sploshing too so the wiring may have got a dousing and had a titfit.

Ooooph, good use of a wet Bank Holiday Monday.

That steering wheel is defo full fat, I don't even have full fat I'n my tea, semi skimmed will do. But for my steering wheels I go for fully skimmed.

I'd start off with some Meths on that working up through brake cleaner and other. Then finish off with some boot polish

One carefull owner. That we can probably clone ten thousand times using steering wheel DNA alone to build an unstoppable army of testy post menipausal women that rarely wash their palms.