Tool Chests, Storage and Messy Garages - Trying to find a tool chest!

SiC

SiC drawers and locks are expected on the chest, the only fault was whatever shite the Halfords stickers left behind - I had to resort to thinners in the end.

Amongst my motley socket collection, I keep my trusty draper half inch set in its case (for grab and go moments) and put everything else on socket rails - a few pictured below in this blurry picture. Mine are Laser, very reasonable quality and cheap enough. Also made me bin any crap sockets and replace the missing ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-2664-Socket-Fixed-Rails/dp/B0039ULMD2

post-3266-0-53701500-1515025568_thumb.jpeg

Halfords Industrial is high quality and great value for money when in an offer. Halfords Professional is of acceptable quality and reasonable value for money when on offer. Clarke (machine mart) is shit quality and poor value for money. I have all three in my garage and we have some Clarke boxes at work. I would only buy Halfords Industrial if it were my money (but only at the special offer price). The only other advice I can offer is that regardless of brand get a base unit that is all drawers and not half drawers and half cupboard space. All drawers is a much better use of space and easier to organize and keep tidy. My base unit is half and half and the cupboard part is just rammed full of stuff and a nightmare to find anything in. 

Not read the whole thread, but pictures of Tool cabs have me thinking yee need some tool storage idea.
Keep watching Klas Ohlson website, as they have deals and the cab set they sell is bloody good quality (Pisses all over the cheaper end Halfrauds stuff), sadly my first one came a tad dented, BUT customer service was 100% WOULD BUY AGAIN
Fired off a quick email saying could i be a tad cheeky and have a partial refund or replacement, as although the dent wasn't massive, it was a bit frustrating being new and yadda yadda, few hours later i had a full refund. QUALITY<>

If i get any discount codes i'll throw them on here, but keep looking on Zé website anyway.

Edit*
I can't spell for shit, it's actually Clas Ohlson.
It also looks like they no longer sell the model i have, but instead this (Which looks very similar) :

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-PRO-Edition-Tool-Chest/40-7819-1
and
https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cocraft-Pro-Edition-Tool-Cabinet/40-7818-1

The only other advice I can offer is that regardless of brand get a base unit that is all drawers and not half drawers and half cupboard space. All drawers is a much better use of space and easier to organize and keep tidy. My base unit is half and half and the cupboard part is just rammed full of stuff and a nightmare to find anything in.

Agree with that; I have a Halfords unit like that and the cupboard bit just gets rammed with stuff and is immune to being tidied or sorted out.

My toolbox came from Woolworths when I was about 15. I don't have one of these big toolboxes just use the kitchen cabinets that sit in the lean to. I'd always be concerned about thieves being able to piss of with the lot if we got broke into. Hence its kept indoors. I've got this concern from the amount of burglaries whereby the burglar easily got into the garage then used the thoughtfully provided tools to enter the house.

Trouble with roll cabs is they take up too much space in my garage. They look nice mind although I'm a bit short to see into the top of the big buggers!

I've got a very old snap on top box which used to house everything. Since then I have numerous extra boxes. I use these to house specific stuff.........like one for whitworth stuff....one for electrical stuff and so on. This makes it a bit easier when you go out to do a job. Most of this then lives under the bench.

Then shelves. Lots of shelves........wnent to B7Q and got them to slice 2 sheets of 8x4 into shelf sized bit.

Another recommendation for the Halfords Industrial. I bought mine a couple of years ago as a bundle in one of their sales. It makes working on  a car much easier being able to know where the tools are. I was always looking in different cupboards and boxes for screwdrivers etc-now I just open a draw.

The quality is good and if there's a problem-they'll replace.

Steve

The SGS depot is like 5-10 mins from my house and I went not long ago to get a custom made gas strut,and they had some of those black roller cabs in the showroom on offer for a cash sale, not sure were you live but if you get it for say half price it would probably be worth coming up to get it from Derby or I could go and get them forou store them and you pick them up whenever?

+1 on the Costco boxes from me.

Can’t remember exactly how much mine was but was about the £400 mark including VAT.

It’s incredibly heavy in its own right, stands about 5.5 foot tall and gets used daily with no sign of wear whatsoever.

My local SnapOn man took the piss when I told him I was planning to buy one. He went remarkably quiet once he’d seen it in situ though?

post-17519-0-17974600-1515069468_thumb.jpeg

You can get plastic clips that secure the pegs to the peg board which work but means you have to space the pegs out a bit.  Not sure that peg boards are better than a board on the wall with screws and hooks screwed in to it really.

There are some VERY cheap tool chests from this EBay seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Damaged-Toolbox-ROLL-CAB-TOP-BOX-BLACK-TOOLS-US-Pro-Tools-DI-290/273008514858?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3D9d41b3f32c9e445e86e1ed716d105733%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282795131516&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

They are damaged returns. I wonder what you get for your £20?

A scratched bargain or some squashed unusable scrap?

I might have to find out.

in my last garage I build a 2.4m wide x 60cm deep x height to ceiling shelf unit spanning the whole width of the garage. It swallowed up everything and gave me plenty of space to work. Constructed using 2x3" CLS and 12mm MDF. Just moved and collected the wood (OSB + CLS 2x3") for the new garage yesterday. Around £100 of materials and super solid the way I build :) 

Costco has a great tool chest and roll cab. Good thick steel and nice action drawers.

Is that the huge brushed aluminium one? I wanted one years back, and was too slow. :(

Someone on Passionford had one (noticed thread when researching the box)

and he had stuck two small DMC stickers on it, instead of the manufacturers badge - I forget the name - like a reincarnated DeLorean. :-)

There are some VERY cheap tool chests from this EBay seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Damaged-Toolbox-ROLL-CAB-TOP-BOX-BLACK-TOOLS-US-Pro-Tools-DI-290/273008514858?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49138%26meid%3D9d41b3f32c9e445e86e1ed716d105733%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D282795131516&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

They are damaged returns. I wonder what you get for your £20?

A scratched bargain or some squashed unusable scrap?

I might have to find out.

I've one that I reckon is the same as that - mine is RAC branded and came from Argos years ago. Was all I could afford at the time and it's not great quality. It's smaller than it looks so I had to trim the plastic tool trays I had to fit.

To be fair I've had ten years out of it but it's rusty, the top opening bit is useless if you want to stack stuff on top and most of the drawers won't go on their runners anymore. And the big door at the bottom fell off....I just hook it on and off now.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

in my last garage I build a 2.4m wide x 60cm deep x height to ceiling shelf unit spanning the whole width of the garage. It swallowed up everything and gave me plenty of space to work. Constructed using 2x3" CLS and 12mm MDF. Just moved and collected the wood (OSB + CLS 2x3") for the new garage yesterday. Around £100 of materials and super solid the way I build :)

Pictures please and how did you build it

I acquired a load of 3 and 4 drawer filing cabinets when the company went tits up , I could get 4 at a time in old 240 , and sell them for £20 a time , as u can see my man cave is a lot more tidy for them ...  you can put them side by side but leave a gap , cover the top with a wood shelf and you can stuff bits between them and put stuff on top

attachicon.gif20171111_185758.jpg

There's no room for a car though. Not that there ever was. I remember the Mini 850 auto you had, only just fitted.