Styled in Italy, built in Britain - The story of the blue Ital Van

trigger

You won't need docs because you are looking at their show plates.  Not legal plates made from a kitemark-stamped acrylic blank (BS AU 145d) and (as part of the rules) their name underneath.  Fancyplates also have country code +353 proving Ireland.

Nah, I reckon you could get a perfectly legal BS AU 145d plate knocked up from Ireland without paperwork.

Fancyplates number is 071, which is RoI, but if you dig around they also have a NI address too.

When did they start having to put the BS Au number onto a plate?

I don't know when they became mandatory, but they have certainly been putting them on for aeons. This plate is on a 1982 car, it probably is pre-1989 as that is when the "b" standard came in.

6060031831_5d82ae4241_z.jpg

DSCF1295 by E Honda, on Flickr

ETA: Hills to BS AU 145 (1967 standard) from a 1972 car.

4531953779_d0f66fdbd1_z.jpg

Hills number plate BS marking by E Honda, on Flickr

When did they start having to put the BS Au number onto a plate? You would hope nobody starts getting shitty about that, but if it looks like someone made it in 1984, then that's unlikely.

BS AU 145a:1972 - Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates

BS AU 145b:1989 - Specification for retroreflecting number plates

BS AU 145c:1995 - Specification for retroreflecting number plates

BS AU 145d:1998. Specification for retroreflecting number plates - therefore part of the 1998 shake-up, when they introduced SORN.

The new Charles Wright font and enforcement was for 2001

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

So Triggervan only needs to be compliant with reflex-reflecting and down-the-back-of-sofa legality

bloody numberplates are a mine field.

i want some new old style ones making up for the black mini.

with it been a 1974 car, i want some yellow and white metal ones but with the 3-d letters attached separately, like it would have had when new.

currently its wearing a set of new plastic ones, which are wrong on so many levels!

BUT until i get (if?) the log book back from Swansea, i'm not going to be able to get some. and then i dunno who would be the best supplier to even order them off!

I recently caught up with an old friend who has spent the price of a house on his dream 80s 911 which he showed me around.

Not really my cup of tea but absolutely mint and has wanted for nothing....

Except the horrid Halfords number plates.

I recommended DMB and told them how good they were and how easy it was to get something period.

Now I look a chump.

Last night, in a moment of drunken inspiration, I ordered some plates for The Volvo from Plates For Cars in an approximation of the ones that Lex Brooklands Colindale fitted to it back in September 1990 (albeit not with the car's original registration), as the ones fitted to it since 2004 are starting to degrade, due to being almost 18 years old; they were made for and fitted to my Rover 214Si from 2000-2004.

I'll report back with my findings forthwoof :)

My new number plate from Fancyplates arrived today, it should do the job, ideally I wanted one with the dealers name but I couldn't find anyone which could do it and make it look right and it is only a old Ital Van at the end of the day, I'm getting too carried away as it is! I can't imagine by mot tester failing it for no BS AU 145 number.

fc95f17c659f0c0033f9970b28f07cbe.jpg

Write the BullShit Standerd on with a thin marker pen and tell everyone to FRO, it's a 40 year old MarItal Van FFS. Looks nice tho, love it, I took one straight on at a 90 degree left hander in my yoof, feck me the bang echoes through an empty van when the front wheels hit the kerb.

Whilst those Plates For Cars folk in Ireland have pissed me off with their non durable shite and their FRO customer service, the fekkers don''t bother with all the log book in the post shite. They do put the BullShit standerd on unless you ask them not to, for which they will oblige IIRC. Mind you, when they do put it on, in a few moths their plates will have delaminated and you probs won't be able to read it anyway. Presumably they do this so nobody can see who supplied the shite plates and they live of first orders, dealers who sell the car on so it is someone else's prob and not repeat business from folk like me who keep a car for a while Bastherds.

My old Audi 90 had non BS plates with a honeycomb background and that kept passing the mots before I bought it!

I hope my posts aren't too boring yet, I think things will start to get more exciting once I'm able to move it outside, meanwhile I've painted the side and rear door again, this time the paint colour match is much better but the finish isn't as nice as the paint seems much harder, it's good enough though.

77cc64310996e962ab3dc1f5912e7655.jpg

90a03318848eba1c4ca5d8ad7b8c68d6.jpg

I've also finished undersealing and stoneguarding the underside and inner arches.

50cae085ad78a6c68263f2bde846a10a.jpg

9452fa7d0bc7583e062b0fbe8695deac.jpg

Hopefully that will help protect it for a few more years, all that's left now is to repair the nearside (I'm waiting on my mate to come round and weld the bottom of the lower rear quarter, a small bit on the front wing and the two holes in the inner front wings, I've made a start grinding it back and Kurusting the rusty bits

cc6fa757603bc91ee21bf64530990224.jpg

82d13c13b8c2970d906f3fb15f4ede37.jpg

And then it's mechanics and boarding out the inside then it's ready for the mot!