Styled in Italy, built in Britain - The story of the blue Ital Van

trigger

I bought a couple of cans of Ford Isis blue Hycote double acrylic paint from the local motor factors that was in the bargain bin to help cover the primer, 2 cans only managed to cover the first coat so it was pretty rubbish and came out too quickly from the can! And then i used two and half cans of the paint I ordered from paints4u.com which comes up a treat, I think I managed about 4 coats of that in the end. It will need a flat back with some 1500 wet and dry and a mop once it's hardened but considering its from a can it's perfectly good enough for this job.

You hen need to photo it in an overly bright white room, then advertise it for sale for eleventy hundred billion pounds like the 'KLF' mob do. Top save Triggs, I think you have saved it from becoming a Beko fridge

Its Justifed and its a bit Ancient and it will soon drive around the land  :mrgreen:

Random stupid question of the day:

What does the switch with the brake symbol on it do?

You'll probably find that it will run a million times better once it's been driven and has had a chance to clear its throat.

I’m pretty sure it’s the brake failure warning light, it’s a switch so you can test the bulb works.

Trust BMC to forget to make a place for it on the dashboard...so stuffed it in a switch instead.  Yep...sounds about right!

Having said that, Lada did exactly the same thing in the Samara when they stuck the cat on it...Went and stuffed the check engine light in place of a switch blanking plate down by the heated rear window switch - when there was a perfectly good, unused amber warning light in the actual instrument cluster.

At least in the Riva they actually redesigned the little warning light cluster above the voltmeter to fit it in.

So a wet and dry flat and a good mop later and it's looking good again, I spent a few hours yesterday polishing the whole van and fitting bits back on, dad's popping over today to help set the carb up and then it's not time on Wednesday. Considering how it looked when I bought it less than 3 months ago I think it's come on pretty well really, for a Shital van.

666c9330b7f36b99cb752b7c5f707851.jpg

0cb396ca568879dcd39611c412b39129.jpg

411608654a36d0d81b9b470a98758bac.jpg

Considering how it looked when I bought it less than 3 months ago I think it's come on pretty well really, for a Shital van.

Have we got an ‘Autoshite understatement of the flippin year’ thread yet?

That looks outstanding. You are truly the Emperor of the Rattle Can.

That's cracking that!

Always been tempted to buy something cosmetically poor and paint it at home using different methods to see what works. Be a good educational thread but it doesn't look as if Trig will need to read it, he's the master, a pigment Shogun!

I've just re-read your Dolomite 1500SE thread in full. The paintwork was in similarly shabby state when you started and when you finished it was excellent. It's not as if even the camera is lying, I looked at your old Dolly in person at the NEC show and its just as excellent as it looked on camera.

How do you manage it? With rattle cans and glorified angle grinder Silverline mop?

Please, please do a guide on it.

I've just re-read your Dolomite 1500SE thread in full. The paintwork was in similarly shabby state when you started and when you finished it was excellent. It's not as if even the camera is lying, I looked at your old Dolly in person at the NEC show and its just as excellent as it looked on camera.

How do you manage it? With rattle cans and glorified angle grinder Silverline mop?

Strangely enough, this coincides with the current Practical Classics magazine which has an article on a serial Ford Cortina Mk.3 botherer - apparently he does all his paintwork using Halfrauds rattle cans and loads of flatting-off and polishing.

Makes me think an educational section could be a future modification. You know the sort of thing:

Weld with FOAD

K-Series rebuild - Mr Bollox shows you how

Bollocks to expensive head skims by Dave21478

Trigs Cartoon Club - Trig teaches you how to paint WITHOUT wobble boards and heavy breathing

Vulgalours Vulgalastic Hydrolastics

There is so much shared knowledge on here, it might be useful to have in future?

LOL! If I get chance I'll make a little thread up of what I do, then you can all laugh at how shite I really am!

Thank you for all the kind comments though, I'm really pleased with how well this one's come out, now I've adjusted the carb today it's running really sweet now too!

LOL! If I get chance I'll make a little thread up of what I do, then you can all laugh at how shite I really am!

Thank you for all the kind comments though, I'm really pleased with how well this one's come out, now I've adjusted the carb today it's running really sweet now too!

Great job on it, hopefully I shall see it in the flesh some point over the next few months to admire the hard work that has gone into it.

I too would like to see a thread up of how you get such good results with rattle cans. I will using them later on in the year to tidy paintwork up, and would love to get some pointers on how to get a finish as good as that instead of just hoping for the best.